Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by weylan View Post
    Do you know the name of the mouthpiece? What they call it?

Dreaming of camping or aquaponics and the pond.
    I'm sure there are a few brands, but they're usually called an oral appliance for sleep apnea. I know one brand is Somnosleep. I don't think you can just buy one, you have to be fitted by a dentist. I'm sure there are ones that you can buy over the counter, but who knows how good they actually are.

Every day is a good day.

Thanks. I may ask the next time I go in as well. I can't tell I have a problem, but the wife says I don't stop breathing, but I pause for long periods of time, 30-40 seconds between breaths sometimes. So I may ask. To me that seems normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    I'm sure there are a few brands, but they're usually called an oral appliance for sleep apnea. I know one brand is Somnosleep. I don't think you can just buy one, you have to be fitted by a dentist. I'm sure there are ones that you can buy over the counter, but who knows how good they actually are.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by weylan View Post
    Thanks. I may ask the next time I go in as well. I can't tell I have a problem, but the wife says I don't stop breathing, but I pause for long periods of time, 30-40 seconds between breaths sometimes. So I may ask. To me that seems normal.

If you pause for 30 to 40 seconds that is a stoppage. If you stopped permanently you wouldn't wake of course.

If you are having those problems you need a sleep study ASAP. Dont wait.

It will change your life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

My backpacking/ camping CPAP battery solution.

I may. I breath normally a long time between breaths. Everyone thought it was odd. I did that for swimming as well. I exhale for a long time. Then inhale. But pause at bottom of inhale and exhale. I don't even think about it. I also have a3:40 breath hold. I used to go 4 minutes under water when I was younger, now it is only like 2 minutes.

I have severe sleep apnea. I also have the same respironics m series CPAP. I used it last night on a battery pack at a Scout camp. And, I will be using it again tonight on the same battery pack tonight after charging it all day on a solar panel in not so ideal sun conditions.
    I'm also an electronics tech who worked for a sleep recorder manufacturer for almost 10 years.
    I've never played a genius on TV. What little I know has taken me a great deal of time and effort. It just happens that you are on a topic that I care a great deal about.
    My CPAP runs off a 12v lead acid rechargeable battery. It is a 12Ahr battery, which means it can deliver 12volts to a 12Amp load (perhaps a bunch of floodlamps) for 1 hour......or it could provide 12volts to a 2 amp load ( an interior light in an automobile) for 6 hours. From the examples, you can see that the operating time of a battery can be calculated by taking the capacity of the battery ( Ahr) divided by the operating current of the load (in this thread, a CPAP macine).

I can tell you through experience that my battery lasts me at least 7 hours, so that tells me that the operating current of my CPAP is below 2 amps. But I generally don't have enough juice to start a nap until the battery is recharged.

Here's where I'm concerned, I don't understand how you are getting a full nights sleep from a 4200mAhr battery. My guess is you can safely get 2 hrs and probably get 4 hrs.

Relax, I am not here to call you a BSer. If you tell me that you are getting a full night sleep, I believe you, but I really want to know how and why you are able to do this before others rush out and buy the same power pack. Personally, I plan to be the first to rush out and buy one if I can make sense of this.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler883 View Post
    I have severe sleep apnea. I also have the same respironics m series CPAP. I used it last night on a battery pack at a Scout camp. And, I will be using it again tonight on the same battery pack tonight after charging it all day on a solar panel in not so ideal sun conditions.
    I'm also an electronics tech who worked for a sleep recorder manufacturer for almost 10 years.
    I've never played a genius on TV. What little I know has taken me a great deal of time and effort. It just happens that you are on a topic that I care a great deal about.
    My CPAP runs off a 12v lead acid rechargeable battery. It is a 12Ahr battery, which means it can deliver 12volts to a 12Amp load (perhaps a bunch of floodlamps) for 1 hour......or it could provide 12volts to a 2 amp load ( an interior light in an automobile) for 6 hours. From the examples, you can see that the operating time of a battery can be calculated by taking the capacity of the battery ( Ahr) divided by the operating current of the load (in this thread, a CPAP macine).

I can tell you through experience that my battery lasts me at least 7 hours, so that tells me that the operating current of my CPAP is below 2 amps. But I generally don't have enough juice to start a nap until the battery is recharged.

Here's where I'm concerned, I don't understand how you are getting a full nights sleep from a 4200mAhr battery. My guess is you can safely get 2 hrs and probably get 4 hrs.

Relax, I am not here to call you a BSer. If you tell me that you are getting a full night sleep, I believe you, but I really want to know how and why you are able to do this before others rush out and buy the same power pack. Personally, I plan to be the first to rush out and buy one if I can make sense of this.

Hey Tyler,

So glad you posted asking about the 4200mAh. You are absolutely correct, I should have typed 42000mAh in the OP. What a difference a zero makes.

I was using lead acid too. Even the smaller battery I mentioned second would be a huge upgrade for you. Don't know what your CFM is but I got 11 hrs using that battery and it comes with a short power cable that fits your m series.

I think your expertise would be greatly appreciated here. I'm just buying and trying, you can put a little logic into the process. Follow the links to the products on Amazon and check them out. Love to hear your thoughts.

It there was a solar panel solution that could be used with the smaller battery I think we would have something.

I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Hey Tyler,

So glad you posted asking about the 4200mAh. You are absolutely correct, I should have typed 42000mAh in the OP. What a difference a zero makes.

I was using lead acid too. Even the smaller battery I mentioned second would be a huge upgrade for you. Don't know what your CFM is but I got 11 hrs using that battery and it comes with a short power cable that fits your m series.

I think your expertise would be greatly appreciated here. I'm just buying and trying, you can put a little logic into the process. Follow the links to the products on Amazon and check them out. Love to hear your thoughts.

It there was a solar panel solution that could be used with the smaller battery I think we would have something.

42000 mAh sounds great. Can you get a full weekend without a charger?

I am very interested. I have to help get get a Scout troop home this morning but plan to take another look at your system this evening.

YIS
    Tyler

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    42000 mAh sounds great. Can you get a full weekend without a charger?

I am very interested. I have to help get get a Scout troop home this morning but plan to take another look at your system this evening.

YIS
    Tyler

2 nights easily. I havent tested it until its fully drained, but I have put 14 hrs on it. Hard to test at home as I like to use the humidifier on my machine. I really just need to suck it up and test it fully while I'm home.

I do miss scouting. Was a scout myself and a cub master for years. Great times.

I ought to connect my CPAP through my fluke meter and measure the current. I have mine set pretty close to 17cm of water but I don't mind changing it over and getting a measurement for you too.

also, check out this pic. The general idea was to use the bottom bag for a battery pack. The two pack frames came from yards ales. I hose clamped them together

I was thinking of towing it behind me . strapped to a waist harness when the going is easy, and two handles that I can grab when the going gets tough. Definitely not a system that will work well on side hills but we have a few scout camps where it will work very well.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I ought to connect my CPAP through my fluke meter and measure the current. I have mine set pretty close to 17cm of water but I don't mind changing it over and getting a measurement for you too.

also, check out this pic. The general idea was to use the bottom bag for a battery pack. The two pack frames came from yards ales. I hose clamped them together

I was thinking of towing it behind me . strapped to a waist harness when the going is easy, and two handles that I can grab when the going gets tough. Definitely not a system that will work well on side hills but we have a few scout camps where it will work very well.

That is awesome and looks like something I would put together. You when you build a rig like that to transport a huge lead acid battery you have proven that you will do anything to go camping. I think with the lipo battery choices available now you could switch to something a lot smaller.... A lot smaller. I did see some solar options for the smaller battery in my OP. Would be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking about a multi-day backpacking trip in July and solar charging would be great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast