Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    East Tennessee, 3 friends in 3 occasions needed help. All 3 triggered spot (2 orv park, one on a trail). No one ever came. No calls made to state or local authorities. Your mileage may vary.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Okay - someone has to stick up for The Spot. I have used my for hiking and camping for about five years and haven't had a problem. I prefer The Spot to single purpose beacons because 1) I can let the folks back home know where I am. 2) They can track me on a map (I used this when I lent mine to a friend and was able to estimate when she'd arrive at the trailhead; I was there with her favorite latte). 3) By sending check-in/okay messages I am constantly testing the device so I know it works. 4) It runs on easy to obtain AAA batteries - which can be replaced any time (The PLB's have a 5 year battery - from the time of manufacturer, not the time of purchase - that cost about $100 to replace when you send it in. How much confidence would I have using during the last 3 months of the 5th year?). 6) I can tailor four pre-set messages. I have the basic, "I'm okay - here I am.", the alternate, "Things are fine; just on PlanB because of weather or other events.", non-official help, "No one is hurt but I need help getting out of here.", and the formal "SOS call to Search and Rescue".

I could go on - AND I'm sure the proponents of single purpose PLB's have their "Pro's" list too.

So now to consider The Spot vs InReach. REI has an InReach model that costs $450. The DeLorme model shows up around $260 - $300. The Spot Gen3 lists for about $150 and the Gen2 for $90. BUT The Spot often has a promo deal going. I've seen them sell at 2 for 1 specials or half price with a year subscription. It looks like both The Spot and InReach use the same satellite system.

As far as "sneakiness in pricing" - InReach doesn't tell you upfront that some of the features (live texting vs preset messages) cost extra money. Also, though they say you can adjust the tracking rate, more careful reading indicates that feature costs extra too. The basic yearly rate between the Gen3 and the InReach is around $145 (more on that later with the Gen2). The Gen3 also has it's "lack of clarity" in it's marketing. It also has an adjustable tracking rate - for more money. And the claimed extended battery life is dependent upon a less frequent tracking rate. Also, The Gen3 proudly claims an increase "battery life" over the Gen2 - but that's because it uses 4 AAA's instead fo 3 AAA's in the Gen2. Sheeesh - clever marketing turns me way off. Like what else are they not telling me. So both the InReach and the Sport have some semi-hidden costs if you want everything in the brouchure.

The InReach can be less if you know you are only going to use it for a couple of months a year and use the Month-to-Month payment option.

I like the easy to find/ replace AAA batteries the spot uses rather than needing an extra USB charge pack (or solar solution) as backup for InReach.

InReach says you can see YOURSELF on your smart device but more important to me, with The SPOT is OTHERS can see me on a website page. There are two "tracking" options with the Spot. When you send a message, to recipients get an email (maybe text messages too - I'm a geezer, I don't text; I talk to people.What a concept!) that has lat/long coordinates. When they click on those, a Google Earth type page comes up in your browser showing where you are. You can also set up "sharing" that emails your chosen recipients a URL to a webpage where where they can watch your progress if you have real time tracking turned on.

I have never had The Spot fail when kayaking (on the water) and the accuracy has put me right at the put-in, within 15 ft. The situation is a little different when hiking. I have seen it give a false "ping" (or waypoint) when I've been near a mountain. That is, a line of waypoints then one way off from the others, then back on track again. However, from geocaching experiences and such - I understand there are limits and best case/worst case situations for a GPS.

Now - the Gen2 vs the Gen3. If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would have kept the Gen2 and would recommend it over the Gen3. Here's why - The Spot people said both units use exactly the same electronics. As far as sending message up and getting GPS position, they are the same. The Gen2, using only 3 AAA's is lighter. But - with the Gen2, you have the option of messages only - no real time tracking - for only $99 a year. With the Gen3 you have to pay the $140/year - you get real time tracking with that, but you don't have the option not to pay for it if you just want to send the email messages.

There are various Spot models and they also have one that allows real time texting - but I think it requires you use your smart device as a keypad and bluetooth to it. And those models cost extra money and have various per-message charges.

Sorry to make some people's choice harder - but I couldn't stand by and not defend the Spot that has faithfully shown people where I am all around the San Juan's and Vancouver Island. I also used it when, after 41 years, I finally finished a 17 mile stretch of the Oregon PCT that I skipped in '74.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    East Tennessee, 3 friends in 3 occasions needed help. All 3 triggered spot (2 orv park, one on a trail). No one ever came. No calls made to state or local authorities. Your mileage may vary.
    This is my concern with the SPOT Gen3. I had a SPOTGen 2, it went up in flames last year before I tested it out. I definately am not impressed with their Customer Service, it is awful, I think they were stoned.

I have not received clear info on how a call for assistance is handled. It seems SPOT goes through their own contractor.

It might be iffy on the time line to contact local S&R, 911 or State Police.

Here in Portland, Oregon 911 is very iffy. A person in trouble could, likely, have great difficulty
    I wonder how SPOT manages to send SOS to local emergency responders when several steps are involved.

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Plenty of inreach's on eBay if you are looking. Around $225 or so and most are basically New in the box. I actually just had one I never used and sold it on there for that price.(didn't think to list it here first).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    With the PLB's you have to register your device with NOAA and its effectively no different than the ones installed in airplanes, which I happen to work on. A year or so ago we did a quick test of an ELT (basically a PLB for the airplane) outside of the scheduled time, we only let the signal go for about 5 seconds and NOAA contacted the owner of the aircraft to see what's up he told them not to send out the rescue fleet . So I have every confidence in the efficacy of a 406 device, and that someone is actually listening and will take action should the need arise.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I have a SPOT and it honestly fits my needs. My main rationale is for my wife's peace of mind. I tend to solo hike and she absolutely hates it. The occasionally "I'm still kickin'" goes a long way to not having to pick my stuff off the curb when I get home. I have Wilderness Medicine training and tons of survival school training, so I don't view the SPOT as part of my emergency kit. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to use it..if I fell of a mountain and cracked my leg open. I decided against the inReach because of the price and I really have no need to two way text feature. I hit the trail to avoid the technology. For me, the SPOT was a nice compromise. ...plus REI had a rebate offer where you basically got the device for free if you signed up for a year plan.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    The other thing I like about the InReach is that it provides confirmation on the device that the message was sent and received...you KNOW someone got the message or SOS at the other end and so you aren't left wondering and hoping that help is coming. That kind of peace of mind is another thing that the InReach gives that the others don't.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    With the PLB's you have to register your device with NOAA and its effectively no different than the ones installed in airplanes, which I happen to work on. A year or so ago we did a quick test of an ELT (basically a PLB for the airplane) outside of the scheduled time, we only let the signal go for about 5 seconds and NOAA contacted the owner of the aircraft to see what's up he told them not to send out the rescue fleet . So I have every confidence in the efficacy of a 406 device, and that someone is actually listening and will take action should the need arise.
    I like that. I'm still holding out for the ACR Resqlink. $250 and I have a few days until the $50 rebate deal expires...but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. The cool thing? If you use it in an emergency and share the story, they replace it for FREE!

I even asked my wife about it and she was like "ehhhh". Geez thanks a lot! I told her if I break my leg and die it's her fault. I guess you just get complacent after years of successful solo trips. But that's the danger - some things are beyond your control and that luck can run out at any time.

So $200 shipped, 4.6oz, compact. I need to just do it but have been hit with some big expenses lately so I procrastinate.

Hammock
    DIY+ridgeline+net
    Tarp
    DIY tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Used a spot for over 5 years and never had a transmission problem if I was careful and look for a clear sky. I liked the ability to send OK messages but then they increased their annual subscription rates to require tracking which I did not need or want. Last year I purchased a PLB which does what I need and is cheaper in the long run over a 5 year period. It has a stronger signal and it goes straight to government rescue. You can purchase a separate feature that will test the unit and send the results to an email of your choice which you could basically use as an OK message but it is limited to the number of times you can use because of the 5 year battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dcook675 View Post
    You can purchase a separate feature that will test the unit and send the results to an email of your choice which you could basically use as an OK message but it is limited to the number of times you can use because of the 5 year battery life.
    http://www.406link.com/how-it-works.aspx

Pretty cool, but like you mentioned I would rather save the battery for emergencies. There's a fee to this anyway. My goal is to pay once and be done but it's an option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast