Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    The 1.35oz add for HD1.0 is approximate, actual add for a 44X77 is based on 4.04SQ/Y outer shell cut to allow for differential for a weight of 1.45oz. 1/8 suspension adds another 1 oz, all quilt now include 4 line locs on secondary suspension which adds .25oz. All that adds up to 2.7oz added to website spec weight of 22.85 makes for 25.55oz for the 850 quilt, minor product weight fluctuation will account for the remaining .3oz. Mass Drop weights were based on actual quilt filled with 800 and adjusted for each fill type/amount.
    What he said !!

I own a Wilderness Logics 3/4 length 20 degree underquilt (17 oz) and a UGQ 40 degree ( with 1oz overfill) Flight Jacket topquilt ( workmanship is impeccable). This combo was selected in part based on budget ( good used buys) and in part that they would match well for late spring thru early fall camping in New England. Wondering how much this Massdrop underquilt will extend my seasons or if it is too much overlap with the range of my current underquilt and I should wait to buy something else. Frankly, I almost never camp out before mid -April and rarely beyond Thanksgiving. Any thoughts woud be appreciated as this seems to be a very good deal and I am very impressed with UGQ's workmanship.

Edit: Found information on UGQ's down and treatment in their blog:
    UPDATE: Since the introduction of WR Down there has been much discussion about the benefits in large garments such as sleeping bags and quilts in the backpacking community. While there are arguably some benefits to the WR down there are also some potential issues that both the vendor and consumer need to address. We’ve weighted both of them carefully and have recently stopped offering DWR down. The benefits, which are marginal at best in real world scenarios, are offset by lower loft, intra laundering clumping, and the need for more down to offset the lower lofting and possible clumping. In a small garment such as a jacket these potential issues do not pose much of an issue and since we can perspire quite heavily while hiking the WR down works very well in a garment such as this.

In a larger piece of equipment such as a quilt or sleeping bag the benefits are less apparent and the potential issues come more to the surface. Loss of loft on a jacket that only has 2-3oz of down can be addressed by adding 25% more down, do this on a quilt or sleeping bag with 20oz of down and you’ve added 5 oz plus additional cost for both the vendor and end user. As fill power gets higher so do the potential effects on loft that the WR treatment has. WR down is heavily washed stripping the down of its natural oils and water resistant properties then replacing them with a man made chemical. While it is an excellent concept and marketing agenda it has had limited results in real world application. The man made water resistance tends to be sticky causing the down to cling and clump. The user needs to take extra care to distribute the WR down to avoid thin spots in the insulation envelope. As a vendor we have increased the amount of down in our quilts over the last few year to offset this difference in loft and we will no longer be offering WR down as a fill option.

Original question:
    I ordered a Zeppelin from the Massdrop offer can't wait for it. That said I am a bit confused now as to what "UltimaDOWN" really is. I've seen questions here but no clear information. Reading the UGQ description of the UQ it implies that it is a DWR treated down? This statement "The combination of the our DWR shell materials and our UltimaDOWN means your quilt will be protected from moisture" can only be true if it's DWR treated. Paul can you give a clear description of what "UltimaDOWN" is? Down type/treatment/etc. Thanks!

Also if it is DWR treated (and for better clarity in general) it would be good to add an UltimaDOWN statement to your FAQ section.
    Last edited by santiagodraco; 04-12-2017 at 08:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345