Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Looking for an Industrial Machine

I feel that at this point I have outgrown my home-style sewing machine. It's old, I have to have adjust tension after every hour or two of sewing, it is a bit slow and jerky, and it regularly gets bogged down on some of my heavier projects. I am also dipping my toes into starting a small business making gear.

So, I am looking for a new injector, preferably of the industrial sort. Why industrial? Because I want the extra room, speed, power, and reliability. I make bikepacking bags regularly, and the couple layers of X-Pac, 1000d Cordura, pack cloth, velcro, webbing, and binding is a bit much for my current machine. I also make quilts, with materials like Argon 67.

If possible, a machine that could handle both well would be the best outcome. Also, a machine that could do zig-zag (for bar tacking) would be awesome. However, if I had to choose, I would say a machine that handles the heavier material well would be my choice. I could always hang on to my home machine for lighter weight projects (stuff sacks, quilts, etc.).

Does anyone have any advice on what to look for in an industrial machine? Anyone who owns an industrial injector and has had good success with it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    A lot of the cottage vendors use Juki.

http://www.westchestersewing.com/juk...8700/8700.html

Tarp
    DIY Butterfly Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    While looking at YouTube videos on how to make a BBQ grill cover, I saw this video which uses an industrial sewing machine, Sailrite.

How to make a BBQ grill cover

I figure that you aren't interested in how to measure and cut the fabric and want to take a look at the sewing, so the video should start at about where they begin sewing, roughly 6 minutes in.

EDIT: After a little bit of looking they've got this cool machine you may be interested in but it looks rather expensive, listed at $1400.00
    Sailrite Fabricator
    Last edited by xrayextra; 03-20-2017 at 13:13. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Industrial sewing machine = bring your wallet. They aren't cheap, even in the used market.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hexon .9
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/JacksUQ
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Speaking from just my online researching into the same thing, I've seen most use the Juki 8700 like Xray suggested, I've seen them online for about $800 roughly, one model has a computer one doesn't. I think it's totally worth the investment, a decent home machine will run you upwards of $200-$300 anyway and decent I would say is pretty loosely defined. Joe brewer uses a Kingmax, which is apparently the wholesale version of a Juki, but I haven't researched them much. Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, The more I look, the more it seems like a Juki (or the kingmax off brand) is the way to go. That is what a cottage bikepacking vendor recommended to me too. I know there are some zig zag options there, but I haven't come across any used options there. Might be a long shot.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Our local Jo Annes Fabrics store has a heavy duty Singer all metal with steel gears for $129. I did a double take. It'll sew canvas according to the lady in the store. I think that's my next machine anyway.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I have the Juki-8700 and it is a beast! awesome machine!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, The more I look, the more it seems like a Juki (or the kingmax off brand) is the way to go. That is what a cottage bikepacking vendor recommended to me too. I know there are some zig zag options there, but I haven't come across any used options there. Might be a long shot.
    The Juki 8700 is a single needle straight stitch. With industrial machines they do one thing really well...and nothing else. So no zig zag. I have a higher end computerized 8700-ddl...$2000 but worth it to me.

But the plain Jane 8700ddl is $800 or so. Don't buy online, pay the extra bit to a local place and get the help,service,support and delivery.

What you get is a badass machine that sews everything you need. I keep a singer home machine for button holes and a few odd things but hardly use it. It might take a minute to get used to a straight stitch only machine...until you see the results.

You don't want a heavy duty machine... stuff that is made to sew triple layers of denim and similiar "heavy" fabrics will chew the hell out of our nylons. Even the 8700 can be a hair rough on membrane 10 (.67 oz) but it sews up to 6 layers of hex 70 fine. Webbing, etc...

Honestly when I shopped it was $700/$800 or $1800. Not anything in between really. Get the servo motor upgrade but don't do the computer unless you can justify the cost. The auto lock stitch and thread trimmer were what I wanted it for. I can sew a hammock in 20 minutes flat... but if it takes you thirty because you need to hand trim threads...who cares.

I wish I bought one a long time ago.

All that said... my "middle" machine was a singer modern quilter and served me well enough for a good bit of time for $400. So if you need a stepping stone I would say a pfaff or brother higher end home machine.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    Industrial sewing machine = bring your wallet. They aren't cheap, even in the used market.
    Not my experience in this area. I see used industrial machines in great shape for sub $500 on a regular basis on Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast