Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How far to set 4x4's, in ground for permanent hang in yard?

I have a wooded lot, and would like to have several areas to hang. Thinking I will set 4x4's, instead of moving a portable around all the time. How far should the posts be apart from each other?
    Thanks,
    Kim

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    By 4x4 you meant 6x6 right?

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    Hilarious. So true.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

How far to set 4x4's, in ground for permanent hang in yard?

There have been posts on Hammock Forums about 4x4 breaking. I'm not a structural engineer, but I slept in a hammock last night. If your 4x4 posts are long enough, you can attach a strong crossbar between the two posts. That crossbar will take the same path as your tarp ridge line--only higher--you need crossbar to be up high--out of your way.
    If you have extra 4x4--you can double them and glue, screw, and or bolt them together. Or even strengthen them with 2x4s all way around 4x4--you might can attach them with a nail gun.
    And be sure to bury posts deep enough and possibly use concrete--to keep them from leaning towards each other from loaded hammock.
    How deep? Not sure--maybe 3 or 4 feet.
    Good luck Woodsie8! Post pictures and let us know results.
    Everything I've said--is mainly guessing--not knowing from doing. I do know this--if project fails, for any reason, you got a mess to clean up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-20-2017 at 05:41.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    There have been posts on Hammock Forums about 4x4 breaking. I'm not a structural engineer, but I slept in a hammock last night. If your 4x4 posts are long enough, you can attach a strong crossbar between the two posts. That crossbar will take the same path as your tarp ridge line--only higher--you need crossbar to be up high--out of your way.
    If you have extra 4x4--you can double them and glue, screw, and or bolt them together. Or even strengthen them with 2x4s all way around 4x4--you might can attach them with a nail gun.
    And be sure to bury posts deep enough and possibly use concrete--to keep them from leaning towards each other from loaded hammock.
    How deep? Not sure--maybe 3 or 4 feet.
    Good luck Woodsie8! Post pictures and let us know results.
    Everything I've said--is mainly guessing--not knowing from doing. I do know this--if project fails, for any reason, you got a mess to clean up!
    I'm not familiar with the physics, but I'm smart enough to be off the ground...

So, does PGs suggestion hold water, can I simply attach 2x4s at the top ends of the 4x4 posts? I think he was suggesting some sort of pipe crossbar, but would not a pair of 2x4s bolted across the top work?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'm not familiar with the physics, but I'm smart enough to be off the ground...

So, does PGs suggestion hold water, can I simply attach 2x4s at the top ends of the 4x4 posts?

if you're going to do a cross-member, then yes, 4x4 can work. you still need to have probably 3 to 4 foot bury, but the cross member will absorb a lot of the inward force that the hammock exerts

4x4 free standing? wouldn't do it

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    if you're going to do a cross-member, then yes, 4x4 can work. you still need to have probably 3 to 4 foot bury, but the cross member will absorb a lot of the inward force that the hammock exerts

4x4 free standing? wouldn't do it
    +1 Here I frequently hang from 4x4's at home under my deck. The key is the top bracing. I would avoid using 2x4's for top bracing as you will most likely have some deflection and the wood is going to weather. Source a 21' ( or 2 sticks of 10' and a connector) piece of chain link fence top rail and cut it to fit. A home box store will have the 10' sticks outside with the fencing. If you wish to have a one piece solution, you will have to go to a fencing supplier for the 21 footer. There are any number of ways to attach it between posts. The top rail is what is used on the DIY stands and it works well. Won't rot and possibly come down on your head.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Thanks everyone!!! I have trees, but I think they are either too close together or too far apart. Thanks for all the tips. Guess there will not be any 4x4's being buried. There are so many rocks, digging 3ft deep makes me cringe. I have been told to stay away from a gas post digger, unless I want my wrist broke. Guess, I better think about this, measure tree distances, look at a turtle stand, look at metal posts, or get someone to dig holes

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie8 View Post
    I have been told to stay away from a gas post digger, unless I want my wrist broke.
    Unless you're Popeye, if there's rocks and/or roots you're better off with a shovel for just 2 holes.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie8 View Post
    Thanks everyone!!! I have trees, but I think they are either too close together or too far apart. Thanks for all the tips. Guess there will not be any 4x4's being buried. There are so many rocks, digging 3ft deep makes me cringe. I have been told to stay away from a gas post digger, unless I want my wrist broke. Guess, I better think about this, measure tree distances, look at a turtle stand, look at metal posts, or get someone to dig holes

I've used a gas-powered auger to dig holes quite a bit at work. They are a big time and effort saver, IMO. The one I use will "slip" the drive from the auger if shear forces get too high, thereby saving broken wrists (i.e., the motor will not keep turning the auger if the auger bit gets stuck on something). If you have access to one, I'd at least give it a shot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast