Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

First solo backpacking trip, to Colorado. Could use some advice.

Planning my first ever solo backpacking trip this summer, shooting for late June. I'm from eastern Kansas so I'm wondering if I can just drive straight to the trailhead (maybe a 10 hour drive?) and hopefully sleep in the car, maybe even hang my hammock that first night at the trailhead? Is that something that is allowed, does it depend on the trail? I'm planning on a 7 day trip, 1 day to drive to the trail, 4-5 days actually backpacking, and then 1 day drive back. Shooting for late June for the trip. I'm looking at a couple loops, the North Loop in the Indian Peaks Wilderness looks like a good one. Looked at the trip report for it from a few years back. Any other notable loops, doesnt need to be in the same area.

Things I'm looking for in the loop:
    Something that I can do in 4-5 days, maybe with a day of basecamping to get acclimated to the elevation. I've backpacked before in Colorado but each time I got elevation sickness on the way up a 14'er (Mount Holy Cross and Mount Snowmass). I was also in much worse shape then than I am now so hopefully that helps but I'd still like the day to basecamp and just soak up the wilderness for a day without having to cover a lot of miles.
    I'm hoping for a loop that also has at least one peak, doesnt have to be a 14'er. I thought i read something in the North Loop trip report that there is a Mount somewhere on that loop, can anyone confirm that?
    Need a loop where i can hang my hammock every night, I dont think that should be a problem in most places but this will be my first Colorado trip as a hammocker.
    I'd prefer a trail that I didn't have to buy a bear cannister but if I really have to buy a bear canister, it wont be the end of the world.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give me, looking forward to this trip and want to get it planned asap.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Others can probably chime in here, but most peaks are still going to have quite a bit of snow at the end of June especially with the monster snow year Wyoming, Colorado and Montana have had. The rest of the Rockies at slightly lower elevations should be half decent...just bear in mind that most CT hikers won't start at Denver until mid-late June/early July due to snow up higher. You will also have lots of skeeters to deal with so prepare for those too.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Oh I'm use to mosquitoes. I'm a yearly regular in the Boundary Waters, mosquitoes are basically family haha.
    I know snow is a concern, I wouldn't be going before late June at all. And if I couldn't summit any peaks, that'd be alright with me. As long as I get to go.

Any ideas for any good loops?

I would plan on bringing cold weather gear as well. One year in the wet mountains we hit 27 degree weather in July. We were only about 9000 ft too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    FDB, glad you get a chance to come out to our beautiful state!

The four pass loop, up by Aspen, is a classic loop with lots of alpine, though I know you mentioned altitude being a concern. It is a little high up, so you have to plan well for hammock camps, but it is very doable. There is a decent amount of car camping nearby, so you can take a night to just acclimate if you want. You can also take 3 nights on the loop to make it more relaxed, though I have done it with just one camp. Snowmass is right along the route, and makes for a convenient summit trip if you want to try again. This link may helpful; I made for a trip I took with my wife. You can play around with campsite locations that line up better with your needs.

https://caltopo.com/m/5D3P

I also have a map set up for a trip in Lost Creek wilderness, which is much closer to the Denver the area. Not nearly as scenic, and significantly lower elevation. I usually take a trip out there to get warmed up for the season. There are lots of options for adding more trail for a larger loop, or cutting it short, depending on how you are feeling.

https://caltopo.com/m/3803

You could also look at loops in RMNP, though you will need reservations and permits for it. There is a section of the CDT that is beautiful, and good option for use with a hammock. You get some time along Continental Divide with fantastic views, and the option of summiting Flattop. Hallet, or Taylor (13er)

https://caltopo.com/m/1T5U

These are just a couple that I can personally vouch for being worth the time and effort. There are lots more options out there. Enjoy!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would recommend going to REI and getting a Colorodo Guide book....https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=hi...olorodo&page=1
    or order one from Amazon. Good to study up and add to all intel gathered.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Red jacket View Post
    I would plan on bringing cold weather gear as well. One year in the wet mountains we hit 27 degree weather in July. We were only about 9000 ft too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd second this. I would never even consider anything at elevation without at least a 20* bag. Mountains in Wyoming, just like Colorado, can see temperatures in the 20s at night in July and August.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

First solo backpacking trip, to Colorado. Could use some advice.

Thanks Matt K, I've seen some videos (syntax77's to be exact) of the four pass loop and it really does look stunning. I camped at Snowmass Lake so I'd be at least familiar with the area. Looking forward to my trip, haven't been camping in colorado since 2012. I'm mostly a canoer, so the BWCA is my go to spot each year.

Thank you too Shug, I didn't even think about a trail guide book. Your videos got me into hammock camping so I gotta thank you for that as well, woo buddy.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    What elevation were you guys at? I've backpacked in colorado in June and July and it's never gotten below 40 on me. I wasn't camping above treeline though

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeDavidBowie View Post
    What elevation were you guys at? I've backpacked in colorado in June and July and it's never gotten below 40 on me. I wasn't camping above treeline though
    Generally anything above 8500ft has seen sub-freezing temperatures in July and August where I have been backpacking and camping. I've only seen a few nights like that, and generally only a couple of degrees below freezing...but enough to want a 20* bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast