Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparrow

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images

Sparrow

I have had my sparrow for a while now and I really love it. I have found the sweet spot or the best so far, but if I don't bend one leg a bit or cross my legs, as in both legs are straight and side by side my left leg will fall asleep or go num. I have a right lay hammock and I don't feel any ridge. My foot end is about a foot higher. This is how I like to fall asleep before shuffling all night. As I lower the foot end I will start to get calf ridge. Any thoughts?
    In the shadows

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Seems to be the opposite experience from most people: for me and many others it's the outside (right foot in a right lay) that is uncomfortable because of the side pressing in against it. But no matter the problem the answer almost always comes down to how the setup is done. So before getting into too many specifics, it's important to find a testing area that allows you to get an absolutely consistant hang so you can really see what happens when you change vriables. Find anchors the right distance apart (14' 18' forks for me depending on the suspension I'm using) and that allow you to have the right height on your suspension to get the proper 30 degree angle. If you still have the problem after you're confident that you havw the suspension optimized, here are some other things to consider.

Does this happen the same way with and without the overcover/bugnet attached? Often the net or cover will change the way the hammock lays. They tend to pull the sidewalls tighter and give a bit more "squeeze."

Are you using side tie-outs? Sometimes they can spread the fabric and reduce or change the ridges that form.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? I'm a big guy and I can't get comfortable in most single-layer hammocks.

When you hang the foot end high, where are you positioned relative to the hammock? I've found the best position usually has my shoulders a bit above the asym cutout on the left side.

Hope some of this helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I'm 6'4 185. My hang spot is 15' and about 7' high. I do use the tie outs and my left shoulder is about a foot past the tie out. I'll have to try it out topless.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    Bearded H.- Chameleon on the way!
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    L.L. UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Afterparty View Post
    I'm 6'4 185. My hang spot is 15' and about 7' high. I do use the tie outs and my left shoulder is about a foot past the tie out. I'll have to try it out topless.
    Is it a wide body? I am also 6'4" and having wide fabric at 70" makes a huge difference with pressure on the foot area. YMMV.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly-1970 View Post
    Is it a wide body? I am also 6'4" and having wide fabric at 70" makes a huge difference with pressure on the foot area. YMMV.
    I'm 6'3 and I'm with mayfly on the wide fabric. I will never go back to something in the 50-60 range. I'm far to comfortable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I'm only 5'10" and every time I try to stretch out and get that side pressure on my foot I wonder of I should have gone 72" instead of 60" wide... My mistake was not testing long-term with a bugnet or overcover attached which firms up the sidewalls.

Wider may be better for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I am persuaded that using a exped downmat 7 UL MW (or a similar Synmat during the warm season) is a real plus for me. Having the pad as a base negates any chance of calf ridge, provides a wide platform for sleeping either on my back or sides (note: GE are not near as comfortable for side sleeping as my hammocktent 90 degree), and provides insulation down to at least 27*F. I only lightly inflate the pad so that it isn't rigid. I sit on the pad to enter or leave the hammock (Raven) which is another pad plus since it provides a solid platform for entering/exiting; swing my feet into the hammock and I can scooch the pad fore and aft to center; shift the pad into the diagonal; and I am good to go for a very comfortable repose.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    My sparrow is XL wide as possible. Oltraildog I did prefer a air pad lightly inflated in other hammocks.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just had to move closer to the head end, and sleep at a slightly less angle inside the hammock and it pretty much solved it for me after lots of suspension adjustments. I'm a little spoiled, I've got mine hanging in my house and have slept in it nearly every night since I got it about a month ago.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Ya I'm full time on in closed porch
    In the shadows

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast