Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug

Half wit or half dead?

Hello all,
    Now before you all pick up stones, just hear my question out... I'm pondering the half wit, and I live in skeeter territory...so does this thing leave your bottom half eaten to pieces or bothered by other little bugs... or does wearing the top quilt keep em off ya ok? Thanks for any advice or feedback.
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I believe it is assumed your lower half will be covered by a top quilt?..

Quote Originally Posted by GopherHanger View Post
    Hello all,
    Now before you all pick up stones, just hear my question out... I'm pondering the half wit, and I live in skeeter territory...so does this thing leave your bottom half eaten to pieces or bothered by other little bugs... or does wearing the top quilt keep em off ya ok? Thanks for any advice or feedback.
    I love the idea of the Half-wit, but it just wasn't practical for me at least down here in the South. I have to contend with skeeters and warm weather. For the majority of the year I'm using my TQ more as a blanket and venting often. The inability to vent was the deal-breaker for me. However, it does look like a really lightweight, comfy setup for late fall/early spring where temps should keep the TQ on at all times. Having said that, I think there is definitely a place for the Half-wit, but probably not as the go-to year-round hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchgear Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Future DIY
    Insulation
    Future DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, same. The reason why I ended up not going that route is that I'm always sticking my feet out from under blankets. I knew that wouldn't fly in the summer.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I live in Texas and I see my half-wit as a shoulder season/winter hammock. The time of year when bugs aren't bad and you're cool enough to keep a top quilt on. For summer I'd just take my netless with fronkey style bugnet

Hammock
    Grand Truck Skeeter beater pro
    Suspension
    warbonnet
    Half covered would get me half eaten down in South Georgia. They are downright dangerous at times lol.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    A half wit with a convertible full net would be cool, but then again, you can get the add on hug net and swap it out with your preferred full sock net in the summer.

Hammock
    WBBB , Halfwit, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti HG20 EE40
    Suspension
    Woopies
    I used my Halfwit for a week last July in MA and was fine and it was very buggy. I had a 40 TQ, temps in the 50-60 at night and didn't need to vent so it was okay. That said, I'm planning on using the Chameleon this summer on my week long through buggy NJ this July.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    I prefer my Half-Wit for backpacking. Where i'm worried about weight but still want some security of a bug net. As for underneath... soak that bad-boy with Permethrin and you're good to go. Oh and i'm in the Carolinas'
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Here in Florida I feel I need a full net most of the year. Spend more time with quilt just thrown over my legs or without one than I do snuggled into my quilt. Only been 2 times in the past year that I unzipped my bug net and stowed it in the foot end. I guess it depends on your bug situation and when/where you camp. Not that much more weight for a full net and less fiddle factor.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast