DIY Ultralight Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

New DIY UL Hex Tarp - RSBTR kit

Hello all!

Below are some images of my latest DIY project. I did a RSBTR pre-cut Membrane silpoly hex tarp. This was a bit more challenging than I expected, just due to the super-thin slippery material. Just have to have a LOT of patience and go slow! I did the recommended Silnet reinforcements, but then realized some of them were separating from the Membrance material when pulled taut. So, I ran one radius stitch on each reinforcement along the edge. That seems to have resolved the issue. Let me know your thoughts! Some of you may recognized the fuscia reinforcements to match my "Gibson" double layer hammock....

Tarp 1.jpg
    Tarp 2.jpg
    Tarp 3.jpg
    Tarp 4.jpg
    Tarp 5.jpg
    Tarp 6.jpg

The whole thing (tarp, lines, hardware, stakes and custom bag) are just over one pound. Not bad for this much coverage!! Thanks, RSBTR! Let me know what you all think and if you have any questions.
    If you can't laugh at yourself don't worry about it...someone will come along to help you out!

Hammock
    WB Orig BB/XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down and Apex 7.5
    Suspension
    Marlin Spike Hitch
    Looks great!

I just got my kit delivered and I'm wondering about the radial reinforcement pieces...
    Did you hem the perimeter first and then add the reinforcement pieces or did you put them on first and then hem over them?

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I would add the reinforcement first. This way the hemmed perimeter locks in the reinforcement piece, and means you are pulling on the pieces directly . Although it is not the bonded UL version, RSBTR has a YouTube video on how to attach a regular reinforcement piece that may help.
    https://youtu.be/cbo35o5QaMk
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    That looks great, Fujibilly! I just got a hammock finished and now inspired to move onto tarps.

You're killing me with those fuschia accents. That color combo looks great.

Any particular challenges you can share with tarp layout and sewing?

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Ultralight Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Hanger View Post
    Looks great!

I just got my kit delivered and I'm wondering about the radial reinforcement pieces...
    Did you hem the perimeter first and then add the reinforcement pieces or did you put them on first and then hem over them?
    I added the reinforcements first and then folded them into the hem. The last thing I added was the grosgrain tabs. It looks pretty clean that way. If you got the membrane material (ultralight tarp), note that the instructions recommend you adhere the reinforcements to the tarp using Silnet rather than sewing. I think this is due to the thin material pulling the stitches when stretches taut. I did this and then noticed that some of my reinforcements were delaminating. So, I went back and ran one line of stitching along the perimeter. Just a heads up!
    If you can't laugh at yourself don't worry about it...someone will come along to help you out!

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Ultralight Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, Intimidator! Good info there, @R2Hanger. Sorry I missed your question until now...I did just respond too though.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Ultralight Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    That looks great, Fujibilly! I just got a hammock finished and now inspired to move onto tarps.

You're killing me with those fuschia accents. That color combo looks great.

Any particular challenges you can share with tarp layout and sewing?
    Hello, Cabmanhang! Glad you like the colors, it's definitely different...LOL!

My main piece of advise (especially if you are using the Membrane material) is DON'T TRY AND SEW WITHOUT PINNING FIRST! I'm a lazy guy at heart (can I get a witness?), so I tried to just man-handle the tarp while trying to sew. Let's just say I lost! The material is so thin and so slick (both benefits once it's done!) that it's like wrestling a pissed off eel...No good! So, I bit the bullet and took 30 minutes to pin everything together. WELL WORTH THE TIME! Other than that, just take your time and be aware of your material....it's thin and slippery--so it'll try to slide under your thread injector while sewing and can pull into the machine easily if you don't have your tension and stitch set right. use a scrap to get that all dialed in before you start! Hope that helps!! Have fun!!!
    Last edited by Fujibilly; 04-12-2017 at 13:51.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good job on the tarp. I have a side question. It looks like you used a 6x6 for your second "tree". Why the straps on the post? Did you not get it set deep enough or are you experiencing that much pull?

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Ultralight Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Good job on the tarp. I have a side question. It looks like you used a 6x6 for your second "tree". Why the straps on the post? Did you not get it set deep enough or are you experiencing that much pull?
    That's a complicated question...LOL! The answer is it is probably completely redundant. I have a tendency to over-engineer things to be on the safe side. Also, we have a LOT of stone in the soil in our area (lots of exposed limestone boulders in my yard). So, I wouldn't consider our soil dynamics very stable. I'm also a scout leader with lots of kids (mainly my own) who are up-and-coming hangers. So, there are many times when they decide to hang when I'm at work or not there to supervise. It's one thing for me to take a 10' 6x6 to the noggin...it's something else entirely for it to happen to one of my kids/scouts! So, two medium duty tow straps and some fold-down ground anchors (so I can mow over them) and I sleep a lot better. The straps go up first (in about 1.5 minutes) and then the hammocks. Everyone is trained that the straps are just part of hanging the hammocks at my house.

The posts themselves are 10' treated 6x6 posts that are concreted 3' into the ground...So, like I said, it's probably redundant. But it's cheap insurance!

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    Beautiful Tarp.

I made one over Christmas. Used the recommended radial reinforcements at the tieouts and pullouts. For the tieouts I measured back from the edge the amount for the rolled hem and sewed some grosgrain into the rolled hem on the tieouts. been on a number of campouts and there is no sign of any separation. as long as you use silnet and glue the PU side (shiny) to PU you are good. PU to non-pu will separate as will non-pu to non-pu.

attached are a few pics that show better than I can describe

Tarp Tieout1.JPGTarp Tieout2.jpgTarp Tieout3.jpgTarp Tieout4.JPGTarp Tieout5.JPGTarp Pullouts1.JPGTarp Pullouts2.JPG
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast