Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images

Enlightened Equipment Length Discrepancies

I'm considering getting a second topquilt (I have a burrow 20+1oz overstuff) primarily for weight savings and as 3 season all around ultralight insulation. I've been researching EE Revelation and Enigma quilts, and understand the footbox difference.

What I'm wondering is why they use a different sizing - the "regular" Revelation has a length of 78" while the "regular" Enigma is only 72" and the long is 78"? When compared at Reg/Reg the Enigma's weight savings are apparent, as there is less material, but when actually compared at the same quilt size (for me I'm going for a 72" x 50" - slim width) they have very similar weights...

According to their charts the weight difference is 0.03 ounces, or in other words nothing. Rev 30* 72" x 50" = 14.51oz vs Enig 30* 72" x 50" = 14.48oz, and more expensive! What gives?
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I would check with them directly to be sure. I'm not saying it's a typo, but it's easy to make them in those crazy tables with all the options/products.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    This sounds like a good question for Enlightened Equipment but maybe not the best question to ask here. Have you emailed Tim?

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    The rev is measured in the open un zipped length I think, whereas the enigma is sewed therefore the measurement includes the footbox.so it's like comparing pre and post sewing lengths.

The enigma is probably more expensive due to the rounded footbox being more complicated than the old straight sewn.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post
    The rev is measured in the open un zipped length I think, whereas the enigma is sewed therefore the measurement includes the footbox.so it's like comparing pre and post sewing lengths.

The enigma is probably more expensive due to the rounded footbox being more complicated than the old straight sewn.
    This is what I was worried about - I had a feeling the Rev might be measured open. I will send an email to Tim to be sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    This is what I was worried about - I had a feeling the Rev might be measured open. I will send an email to Tim to be sure though.
    Good idea. I've always found their response time to be pretty quick. They also have a chat feature on the website. I'm sure the length difference comes down to that they are 2 different models of TQ. FYI, I'm 5' 10" and have the regular length for all 3 of my EE TQ's.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Revelation is measured open flat. That's why it takes a 78" quilt to fit up to the neck of a 72" person when the quilt gets closed up. With the 3D footbox of the Enigma no length is used to make the footbox so the overall quilt can be shorter. The round footbox is heavier than the zipper and more exspensive to build. Luckily however you can use a shorter quilt which is what lets the Reg Enigma be over an oz lighter than the Reg Rev, in 20*.
    -Tim

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    Revelation is measured open flat. That's why it takes a 78" quilt to fit up to the neck of a 72" person when the quilt gets closed up. With the 3D footbox of the Enigma no length is used to make the footbox so the overall quilt can be shorter. The round footbox is heavier than the zipper and more exspensive to build. Luckily however you can use a shorter quilt which is what lets the Reg Enigma be over an oz lighter than the Reg Rev, in 20*.
    -Tim
    Thanks Tim!

I ended up getting a Rev in a limited run color and am very happy with it so far! It will be accompanying me on my thru hike of the Long Trail later this year. I'm really impressed with the design and look forward to everything you guys do going forward.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very glad you like it.

-Tim

• + New Posts