Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow-b View Post
    The one thing I read in the youtube comments to the Nature Calls review was that tarp is not big enough, however that isn't a deal breaker for me.
    If the tarp isn't usable then you may as well bet a tried and true Warbonnet Ridgerunner and add a tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    If the tarp isn't usable then you may as well bet a tried and true Warbonnet Ridgerunner and add a tarp.
    I can always upgrade the tarp if its the only lacking piece. For the price it cant be beat. A WBRR + accessories is almost double the price as the Quarter Dome Hammock, even at 200 with a possible sub-par tarp I think its a great deal

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Not for me!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    ...insulation? I don't want to take that for granted, I'd like to see what its like with a pad in it, or how well a std UQ connects. Probably not much of an issue, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
    I don't understand all the fuss over insulation? If REI overlooked it who cares, everyone on here understands you need it and probably has a under quilt ect. With regards to the tarp it looks sufficient for standard NC rain. It's a heck of a lot more coverage than a asym tarp. If I am worried will deploy the cuben tarp with doors which will probably enrage people. With 20% off and my $25 dollar dividend it puts it at $150. That's a great price. To all you silent people cowering in the corner because the establishment is bashing this product don't worry about others opinion buy what work for you and have fun.
    Its not that REI overlooked it, its just that laying in the hammock is one thing, using it with some sort of insulation can be different and I would like to have seen in the video how well it worked with a standard pad, and with UQ attached. Agreed with you though that its probably not much of an issue - should be able to use either effectively.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great setup. A lot like the HH pkg except with a hex tarp instead of diamond, though you do have the choice of a much larger hex with HH. The hammock is $175 to you, too, seeing as you could spend that $25 anywhere you wanted to in the store. That's a good price for a hammock/tarp package. For me, I'd be paying for the hammock only which makes it a little pricier to me, but still compares well to other bridge hammocks like the RR & JRB-BM.

p.s. there is no "establishment" on this forum; just individuals expressing opinions, though in the case of this product, its largely opinions of an unknown product. Not bashing as much as unfounded concerns, at worst. At best, voice of experience with a multitude of products to be taken as one person's opinion only of this new product, for which we're all trying to get to know.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow-b View Post
    ...A WBRR + accessories is almost double the price as the Quarter Dome Hammock, even at 200 with a possible sub-par tarp I think its a great deal
    What are you smokin'? If you figure $10 shipping, the comparable RR is $200. Not saying it isn't a great deal for someone who wants the pkg for $220 retail - it is, and even more so with the 20% - but let's not exaggerate things. The REI hammock doesn't come with "accessories", so it shouldn't be compared as such.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

What are you smokin'? If you figure $10 shipping, the comparable RR is $200. Not saying it isn't a great deal for someone who wants the pkg for $220 retail - it is, and even more so with the 20% - but let's not exaggerate things. The REI hammock doesn't come with "accessories", so it shouldn't be compared as such.
    Just the green stuff

But what I meant was, the REI model is $200 for hammock, tarp, carabiners, and straps. A Warbonnet Ridge Runner is $205 for the double layer, another $140/$180 for a matching tarp, and extra for guy lines and carabiners. So that can add up to a lot more comparatively.

I have no problem paying more for quality products and package, and I am still seriously considering the Warbonnet Line- its been my favorite in all my research. At the same time, as my first hammock setup, I think a whole package setup from REI is a great option as well, especially.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Its not that REI overlooked it, its just that laying in the hammock is one thing, using it with some sort of insulation can be different and I would like to have seen in the video how well it worked with a standard pad, and with UQ attached. Agreed with you though that its probably not much of an issue - should be able to use either effectively.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great setup. A lot like the HH pkg except with a hex tarp instead of diamond, though you do have the choice of a much larger hex with HH. The hammock is $175 to you, too, seeing as you could spend that $25 anywhere you wanted to in the store. That's a good price for a hammock/tarp package. For me, I'd be paying for the hammock only which makes it a little pricier to me, but still compares well to other bridge hammocks like the RR & JRB-BM.

p.s. there is no "establishment" on this forum; just individuals expressing opinions, though in the case of this product, its largely opinions of an unknown product. Not bashing as much as unfounded concerns, at worst. At best, voice of experience with a multitude of products to be taken as one person's opinion only of this new product, for which we're all trying to get to know.
    In this video he goes over the UQ and other stuff.

https://youtu.be/qhRP1U1SdcQ

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I just got mine. Sleeping in it tonight for the first time. Max and I are doing a full review and we're doing a head to head comparison with the Ridgerunner. Initial impressions are very surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post
    I just got mine. Sleeping in it tonight for the first time. Max and I are doing a full review and we're doing a head to head comparison with the Ridgerunner. Initial impressions are very surprising.
    I look forward to your review!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Amb/Ren/Ban
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
    I don't understand all the fuss over insulation? If REI overlooked it who cares, everyone on here understands you need it and probably has a under quilt ect. With regards to the tarp it looks sufficient for standard NC rain. It's a heck of a lot more coverage than a asym tarp. If I am worried will deploy the cuben tarp with doors which will probably enrage people. With 20% off and my $25 dollar dividend it puts it at $150. That's a great price. To all you silent people cowering in the corner because the establishment is bashing this product don't worry about others opinion buy what work for you and have fun.
    Hyperbole much? I've seen no bashing nor people cowering to an establishment.

Anyway, I watched both of those videos and it's definitely an intriguing hammock and it's nice to have more options.
    Life has a melody.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast