Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Images
    I've been known to pull over to the shoulder, open both doors on the passenger side, and semi-crouch (I'm female). Any port in a storm.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A woman runner I knew, probably is a hammock camper by now (obligatory hammock reference) came back from a run beaming with pride. She announced she had learned to pee standing up. I congratulated her and also, gently, reminded her that she wasn’t a member of the club until she can write her initials. I have some of those “turns liquid into solid” capture bags on order. Any tree will do for me, but in some situations, it’s nice to have an alternative.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I have some of those “turns liquid into solid” capture bags on order. Any tree will do for me, but in some situations, it’s nice to have an alternative.
    I'd hate to have to carry that, but definitely better than liquid!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    OneClick - yeah, not so much for hiking. More for car travel, kayak camping, and maybe for companions who can’t spell their initials.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    All the things
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Any tree will do for me, but in some situations, it’s nice to have an alternative.
    I have an empty nalgene for that purpose but am not entirely confident yet. For now, I just wander off into the woods no matter the time of night. I, too, can't seem to make it through an entire night while hanging without having to pee.

Insert shameless plug for the Kula cloth here. Long hiking days are great with this gem.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Here's the highlights of night time urine production:

1) oral intake before bed will cause you to get up. You've probably been hydrating more during the day as you hike
    2) caffeine is a diuretic, as are many blood pressure medications
    3) some spices and seasonings also have a diuretic effect and while you may limit liquids before bed, your food might be a contributing factor
    4) Physics: your legs are higher than your kidneys in a hammock, increasing venous return and thereby making the kidneys filter more
    5) At night your BP normally lowers and your vessels dilate and relax. This increases flow to the kidneys.
    6) The hinging effect, compression of the lower abdomen and bladder mentioned above
    7) Chances are you're a little colder than during the day and you might be shivering a little, which also stimulates the need to urinate. In a hammock you have airflow across your back and kidneys that you wouldn't have in bed or on the ground.

All in all, I'd rather have to pee a lot than be dehydrated. I take BP meds and get up once a night at home. If I've been hiking and hydrating all day, I get up several times from the hammock; my personal best was 6 times but in that situation I know I was cold and also shivering a bit.

Still better than sitting on the couch!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Here's the highlights of night time urine production:

1) oral intake before bed will cause you to get up. You've probably been hydrating more during the day as you hike
    2) caffeine is a diuretic, as are many blood pressure medications
    3) some spices and seasonings also have a diuretic effect and while you may limit liquids before bed, your food might be a contributing factor
    4) Physics: your legs are higher than your kidneys in a hammock, increasing venous return and thereby making the kidneys filter more
    5) At night your BP normally lowers and your vessels dilate and relax. This increases flow to the kidneys.
    6) The hinging effect, compression of the lower abdomen and bladder mentioned above
    7) Chances are you're a little colder than during the day and you might be shivering a little, which also stimulates the need to urinate. In a hammock you have airflow across your back and kidneys that you wouldn't have in bed or on the ground.

All in all, I'd rather have to pee a lot than be dehydrated. I take BP meds and get up once a night at home. If I've been hiking and hydrating all day, I get up several times from the hammock; my personal best was 6 times but in that situation I know I was cold and also shivering a bit.

Still better than sitting on the couch!
    Dam Bob talk about hitting the nail on the head.
    Thanks for your post. I have never put it into words but you did and I agree completely.

Hammock
    W.B. Elderado
    Tarp
    W.B. Edge
    Insulation
    H.G. Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchbeetles
    Maybe diabetes , or too many beverages , getting up in the middle of the night is bothersome, but you gotta find a spot that’s shaded in the morning that way you can get plenty of sleep.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    JrB+Cedar Ridge UP
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    I buy a Gatorade and then use that bottle . It's so nice taking care of that function without getting out of bed.

All the beer you drank camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast