Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    There is actually a little bit of research about this, and it's not hormone related, but rather blood pressure related. Here's an article about it, it's called "cold diuresis". Essentially the hypothesis is that your body is trying to prevent heat loss by closing off the blood vessels at the skin. When that happens, your blood pressure naturally goes up. The kidneys can then kick in and pull water out of the blood, reducing the total volume of blood in your body with the side effect of filling your bladder.

Solution - warmer sleep system.
    Medically this makes sense.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    This has been brought up many times in the past, so there's definitely something going on. I think it's the position/bladder thing since I never did this in a tent, so I'll discount the cold weather theory. Doesn't matter if it's warm or cold, I usually get up. Never at home; rarely in a tent if I recall.

Hammock
    Dutch and Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG WP 12ft / UGQ W
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ and WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    This made me laugh, glad I'm not alone. Two times for me, minimum. Wish there were some kind of tube to attach, with no mess...

I should also mention, I never wake up at home..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stowe18 View Post
    This made me laugh, glad I'm not alone. Two times for me, minimum. Wish there were some kind of tube to attach, with no mess...

I should also mention, I never wake up at home..
    Yeah never EVER at home, even if I sleep 9 hours straight (not very common these days).

LOL a tube would be cool. Not to get into too much detail, but in the winter I'll sometimes just lean over and pee off the side. With 6"+ of snow it's not as nasty as it sounds; it just melts a hole right thru and I cover it up with fresh snow. And it's not very hard to do...I got the balance down from doing that in a kayak so often.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I definitely think cold air has something to do with it; but it's probably a combination of factors. My body has never been cold in the hammock; however, I keep my face uncovered. So perhaps it has something to do with the face getting cool that triggers the "pee mechanism." But I also think that the sleep position plays a role in this. Even when we say we have a "flat lay" in a hammock, most people (especially taller people) still never get completely flat in a hammock. There's still a slight "V" created at the hip flexors. I would imagine this puts additional pressure on the bladder- resulting in the need to pee.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have found a bit of a solution on Dutch's site though. No more wandering into the woods at 3 AM in the cold. Leave it to Dutch to have this covered. lol
    20170128_110844.jpg
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch and Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG WP 12ft / UGQ W
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ and WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Yeah never EVER at home, even if I sleep 9 hours straight (not very common these days).

LOL a tube would be cool. Not to get into too much detail, but in the winter I'll sometimes just lean over and pee off the side. With 6"+ of snow it's not as nasty as it sounds; it just melts a hole right thru and I cover it up with fresh snow. And it's not very hard to do...I got the balance down from doing that in a kayak so often.
    I wish I had those kind of skills! This last trip I was on a couple weeks ago, it was 19deg out - and I just laid there for over an hour wishing I could fall back asleep.. Nope!

Always a pain in the butt.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    You're all overthinking it, it's just the motion of the ocean from swinging in a hammock.

I'm still new to hanging at night, I'm curious if any of you have the same issue when ground camping? (Don't flame me! I know, most of you haven't crawled into a tent in decades.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40 HRTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    You're all overthinking it, it's just the motion of the ocean from swinging in a hammock.

I'm still new to hanging at night, I'm curious if any of you have the same issue when ground camping? (Don't flame me! I know, most of you haven't crawled into a tent in decades.)

How dare you mention tents on this forum. The nerve.... lol.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    There is actually a little bit of research about this, and it's not hormone related, but rather blood pressure related. Here's an article about it, it's called "cold diuresis". Essentially the hypothesis is that your body is trying to prevent heat loss by closing off the blood vessels at the skin. When that happens, your blood pressure naturally goes up. The kidneys can then kick in and pull water out of the blood, reducing the total volume of blood in your body with the side effect of filling your bladder.

Solution - warmer sleep system.
    Exactly what my urologist told me. I just couldn't think of the proper medical term lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast