Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I always had to get up on the middle of the night to pee when I was on a tent, too.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Happy it's not just me. At first it was about every 2 hours, but as I get more comfortable and sleep better in my hammock, I'm down to twice a night. Also, I have been staying up later watching the campfire before turning in. About as late as I stay up when at home. Could it be you're going to sleep earlier than you're used to?

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40 HRTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Why do I piss at least 2 times during the night in a Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by rick417 View Post
    Happy it's not just me. At first it was about every 2 hours, but as I get more comfortable and sleep better in my hammock, I'm down to twice a night. Also, I have been staying up later watching the campfire before turning in. About as late as I stay up when at home. Could it be you're going to sleep earlier than you're used to?
    That's interesting. Hadn't thought of that I usually do turn in early out in woods, like shug sometimes says I go out in the woods just to sleep for 10 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never get up at home, but I also have to get up 1 or 2 times a night in the hammock. In my opinion, I think your bladder gets full, which requires more energy from your body to regulate body temperature. I have noticed that I will wake up a little cool. Spring from the hammock and spring a leak so to speak and then get back in the hammock where I'm warm.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Only twice in one night! Sounds like heaven to me! Just wait till old age kicks in.
    This thread topic + your forum name = funny coincidence.

I used to think it had something to do with less stress points or the hyper relaxed state of a hammock lay, but since sleeping full time indoors I don't have to in the middle of the night. In the woods, once during the night, anywhere between 1 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. every time I camp. The best part is getting back in the hammock and hitting that magic spot for a second sleep. Bliss on bliss (pardon the alliteration pun).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Are you warm enough? Anti-diuretic hormone is produced when your body is warm. Perhaps you need a more robust underquilt.
    ^This. I'm not up to speed on the exact mechanism, but I suspect if you've hung around camp out doors in the cold, then your body is already changing it's water retension to compensate. So what's making you pee is already in the works long before you crawl into the hammock. Or maybe it's like the mammalian diving reflect which only needs your face to be exposed.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Derek over at The Ultimate Hang has some interesting theories about hammock camping and peeing in the night. A lot has to do with choice of drink, and your level of activity during the day.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm in this situation as well. It never fails. No matter what time I go to sleep, I 'm up around 3 or 4 am with a very full bladder. When I'm up moving around camp, it doesn't happen. Only when I'm asleep.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/h...-make-you-pee/. My theory is a cross between this link and the fact that there's pressure on your organs different from when you sleep in a bed. That and having the feet elevated allowing fluid build up to drain plus the temperature induced bodily chemistry change and you have a recipe for peeing more often than you normally would. So basically a mix of all the factors listed above. I get frequent kidney stones so my fluid intake is vital. When I don't drink enough during the day I definetly pee more during the night. I asked my urologist this vary question not too long ago and he confirmed my theory of the different factors together being the cause. His solution was to stay hydrated during the day, stay away from caffeine at night and empty my bladder before I get in the hammock, and again before I go to sleep if I'm gonna watch a movie or read on my kindle for a while before going to sleep and to also make sure I'm not cold, so having my insulation dialed in . Nights where I to!!ow this advise, like last night, I don't wake up to pee all untill morning. But when I don't, I wake up at least twice just like you.
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 03-17-2017 at 08:16.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    ^This. I'm not up to speed on the exact mechanism, but I suspect if you've hung around camp out doors in the cold, then your body is already changing it's water retension to compensate. So what's making you pee is already in the works long before you crawl into the hammock. Or maybe it's like the mammalian diving reflect which only needs your face to be exposed.
    There is actually a little bit of research about this, and it's not hormone related, but rather blood pressure related. Here's an article about it, it's called "cold diuresis". Essentially the hypothesis is that your body is trying to prevent heat loss by closing off the blood vessels at the skin. When that happens, your blood pressure naturally goes up. The kidneys can then kick in and pull water out of the blood, reducing the total volume of blood in your body with the side effect of filling your bladder.

Solution - warmer sleep system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast