DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket

JRB Greylock 4 Question

Hey all, I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here. I'm looking at adding a cold weather UQ to my arsenal. Actually, my next UQ will likely be used for all seasons- with the exception of the really warm summer nights. I am on a fairly tight budget, and have all but settled on the JRB Greylock 4. I figure I can vent it in late spring/early summer if needed.

Here's my dilemma, I am pretty weight conscious (even more conscious of my pack size), so I am partial (pun intended) towards a partial or 3/4 length UQ. I am also a very warm sleeper- with my legs never getting cold. While I understand a full length UQ will always be more thermally efficient, I just don't want to invest in something that will be too bulky- because then I will need to get a new backpack as well. The JRB Greylock seems to be very well received, and is a great price, IMO.

My question is to anyone who currently uses (or has used) the Greylock 4. What is the lowest temperature you've ever been able to camp with the G4 and remain comfortable? And, do you wish you had a full length UQ instead of a 3/4? I am 6'1," fwiw, so the 56" Greylock should probably go from the top of my shoulders to just above my ankles- which is dang near full coverage- as I use a pillow for my head.

I've also looked at the Wilderness Logics option. Can someone tell me if the WL has a secondary suspension, or at least loops on the corners to add one? Also, does it perform well?

Thank you for any help or clarification!

-Rick
    Last edited by rweb82; 03-16-2017 at 19:18.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have one and have gotten down pretty low in it. It's a Beast.
    Will be hot for warmer weather I think as it is rated to -5.....so if you winter camp more than fair weather camp then take that into account.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Thanks Shug! I know you hang in some crazy temps. I'm not sure if I'd want to go that low (at least not yet). But it would be nice to have the ability. If you don't mind me asking, at what temp do you find the Greylock 4 to be too warm?

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    I have the greylock3 and I take that down to 15F with the old rag mtn as the tq, I've also followed Shug's lead and use my jacket around the footend and don't need the foot pad anymore with certain hammocks. I'm 6'5" and my head is out and mid calf to heels are out but with the jacket or the footpad and and using my mid layer as a pillow I'm covered and warm. For secondary suspension get lineloc 3s with the loops from zpacks and some 1.5 line on every corner and you've got all the adjustibility you want

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Thanks for the tips Madindian. Do you feel like you could take the Greylock 3 even lower, if needed?

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I've been comfortably down to a windy, riverside 3° with mine. Certainly can go lower than that. My greylock 3 had been good to me down to 18°, but I think that's about the limit for me. I only used a full length UQ a few times this winter and didn't really miss it when using a 3/4.

For deep winter cold nothing beats a full UQ. Other than that I find a 3/4 just fine. In my opinion, the greylock 3 is more versatile and the better buy.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Thanks Goobie. It's great to get some perspective from those who have been at this for a while. My underquilt decision just got significantly tougher now that I see Hammock Gear is offering an economy version of their 20° Incubator for only $150.

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Thanks for the tips Madindian. Do you feel like you could take the Greylock 3 even lower, if needed?
    I think it depends on the person and how cold or warm they sleep. I've found with JRB quilts I get about 10 - 15 degrees below their rating before I start getting cold so maybe 5 more degrees but I'm not sure I'd risk it

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by themadindian View Post
    I think it depends on the person and how cold or warm they sleep. I've found with JRB quilts I get about 10 - 15 degrees below their rating before I start getting cold so maybe 5 more degrees but I'm not sure I'd risk it
    10-15 degrees below their rating is quite good. I am a very warm sleeper; so I imagine I'd probably be in the same boat as you, and could comfortably push the limits a bit. I don't have the budget to purchase multiple UQ's, so I'm looking at a "one quilt fits most" option.

I'm thinking now that a good 20 degree UQ may be the most versatile, and I can supplement it with a pad, if I really need to take it significantly lower. On the flipside, I can vent it when the temps go up.

-13 in my Greylock 4, while wearing some extra clothes. It's my go to (and only) 0 degree UQ for winters here in Michigan. I've also got a Greylock 3 that I use when temps are forcasted in the 20-40 degree range. You can't go wrong with JRB gear! Plus they have great prices and fast shipping, since most things are always in stock.

You'll probably be fine with the G3. Just add a UQP to help block the wind and add a few extra degrees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast