Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    I appreciate all your input!

Since it's not in my budget to purchase a second tarp we will most likely resort to use a tent,plus she wants the added security of a tent. But I will look into the double woopies.

The reason I choose 5 days was because coming from buffalo we don't have many opportunities to shoot out for an overnight. Not to say that a test night isn't in order but I also will be choosing a very nice introduction hike. I've learned my lesson taking a Newby into the wild without a proper shake down and a slightly too ambitious plan.

For us I've been mapping out loop hikes so it's not 5 straight ,and if after night 2 we need to hike out that will be an option. Also, I would never seperate from her or anyone else on a trip of such proportions

I love the idea of the surprise gift on day 2, nice touch.

Also the area we are heading will allow for either short days and lots of camp leisure or we could hoof some miles as we so fit.

It hopes to avoid bugs we are shooting for april, and to be honost we will be tenting, I was hoping to find a way around the small tarp for 2 hammocks but it's unattainable.

FYI, cuben tarps tend to be narrower than other tarps because the fabric comes in narrower widths. That makes it that much tougher to put 2 under 1 tarp.

What worked well for me was making it a destination she really wanted to go to, or on the last day staying at a bed and breakfast with a hot tub or having special food.

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    We do have places around buffalo to test out our setup but what I love about the Adirondacks is that if you don't like what you are doing you can easily change it up...last time I had a noobie with me we switched over to a canoe trip halfway through our planned hike.

We have been sampling dinners as I have recently purchased a dehydrator and have been meal planning , so I hope to have our menu set with no issues, we eat all the same foods so I'm not too concerned in this area.

I guess freezer bag cooking would be best since we could boil once for both dinners, then again for sides.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Bring 2 hammocks, 1 tarp and 1 tent. You can always sleep out under the stars if it's nice out. She'll have shelter/privacy with the tarp and the tent.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biggy View Post
    You mentioned this is her first trip. 5 days is a pretty long backpacking trip. I bring it up because I took my wife on a three day backpack trip which was her first and it turned out to be to much for her. In retrospect I wish I would have tried an overnighter with lower miles as her first trip.
    This is the best advice in this thread. That's too long for a first timer and she may never want to go again. Do an over nighter and see how that goes first. That tarp isn't going to work if you get any rain at all. Again wet first time hikers make for last time hiker/hangers.

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Agreed. A 5 day point a to b trip could definitely have its downfalls so I've been researching areas that have multiple shelters/destinations within a reasonable distance and easy Ditch out. If we only hike 1 day and camp 2 the great, if we camp and hike all 5 fantastic but I am keeping in mind an exit plan if things go south.

The biggest reason for 5 is because it is too far away to make regular short visits. Kinda got to go for it . Hoping for the best planning on the worst!

Senior Member ChucksOrangeDream's Avatar
    Hammock
    HickoryNut Hammocks
    Tarp
    Winter Dream by UG
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Giving you props for getting her out there. I'm married and can't get my wife to go. Lol.
    Have fun and I'm sure she will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you're base-camping with some conveniences at a central location with loop trails you may be okay for 5 days. I personally have not camped that long on my own, much less with my girlfriend. But we base camp pretty much exclusively, so we do what we want during the day for activity and return to the conveniences of the base camp (and our car nearby) each time. We can even take off in the car for a treat if we need the break from camp cooking. We use one JetBoil for heating up water for our meals with freeze-dried food. We have a great time together and she is really getting into the comfort of hammock camping. I'm not sure that would have been possible with a long trip, especially with Murphy always lurking around.

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    How trustworthy are you when out n about for the day?

In my experiences (lashed the AT from Mass. to katadhin 2.5 months,. Long Trail end to end 1 month,plus all other smaller trips) I never set up a base camp, always carry all my gear. I feel like I would be uncomfortable knowing my stuff could be rummaged or stolen.

Also since we have roughly a 5 hour drive, planning night 1 to be a car camp situation would be a gentle.startbefore she enters the regretful/ why the hell am.i doing this ?/ phase. Lol

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As I said, I've never camped that long personally. I take down and set up each day. Don't trust anyone to not mess with my stuff. Lock in the car or take what I want to with us for the day. Just the way we do it. With your experience, you all should to quite well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast