Grand trunk UL
    Tarp
    Grey poly tarp
    Insulation
    Pad and SB
    Suspension
    DIY Daisy chains

Help with DIY Costco UQ

On the Costco website you can get 2 quilts for 30$ right now so I've decided to do a DIY UQ and TQ. But I don't know what pattern to use. I was wondering if somebody good tell me the pros and cons of different ones. I'm 5' 4" and need it to go down to about 25-30*. thanx in andvance sorry if there is already a post like this.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Each Costco quilt is only good to about 50-60 degrees. Depending on how warm or cold of a sleeper you are. You can double them up and sew them together or you can migrate down from one to the other and get close to the temps you want. But that process would be horrible to attempt because of the sew through baffles. The quilts themselves are 60x70 and that is pretty good for a top quilt but for an underquilt you will need to do a bit more work. It's possible if you have the time and want to put forth the effort but you can get a really nice synthetic Uq for just over $100 that will get you to those temps. I wish you luck in what ever you decide. YouTube has hundreds of videos on the diy Costco quilts. Check them out and get a visual of what you are getting yourself into.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube

Hammock
    Grand trunk UL
    Tarp
    Grey poly tarp
    Insulation
    Pad and SB
    Suspension
    DIY Daisy chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebreth View Post
    Each Costco quilt is only good to about 50-60 degrees. Depending on how warm or cold of a sleeper you are. You can double them up and sew them together or you can migrate down from one to the other and get close to the temps you want. But that process would be horrible to attempt because of the sew through baffles. The quilts themselves are 60x70 and that is pretty good for a top quilt but for an underquilt you will need to do a bit more work. It's possible if you have the time and want to put forth the effort but you can get a really nice synthetic Uq for just over $100 that will get you to those temps. I wish you luck in what ever you decide. YouTube has hundreds of videos on the diy Costco quilts. Check them out and get a visual of what you are getting yourself into.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Thanx for the reply I think I'm gonna go with sargevinings style of UQ. I've thought about the ENO Ember for 100 but I'm really want down, and am hoping to get a TQ/Uq set for under 100$

Images
    You can try the Gemini underquilt, which uses two layered quilts. But i agree: a single layer will not get you down to freezing. The same is true with the top quilt. I would recommend you buy a total of 4 blankets if you want to go this route.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I will second Leiavoia's comment: If you are trying to get comfort in freezing temps, I would buy 4 quilts.

My opinion is that for the UQ, you should create a faux baffle design, like this: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...own-Underquilt

Except, I would take the down out of one of the throws, and add it to that design, doubling the amount of down. I think you could take that down to freezing or below.

On the TQ side, You could take the same approach as the faux baffled UQ, but make the faux baffles on both of the 2 remaining throws, and then stitch them together, acheiving a 50" wide x ~80" long faux baffled throw. You could even consolidate the down in one half to create a half tapered shape. Since you are shorter, you could cut off probably 2 rows of the 5" and use those to create a draft collar or a sewn in footbox of some sort.

Or, you could make the same design I did, but transfer all of the down out of one to suplement the other. This is the basic approach I took: 20170223_153624 (1).jpg

Because of the sewn thu design, I am not sure that it would get you to 25, but it might get you to 35 or so.

Hope it goes well!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    I've been playing around with them and here is my result. http://www.huyettm.net/diy-under-quilt.html

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Tarp
    DIY Butterfly Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    I recommend you making your baffles lengthwise instead of horizontally. That way you can implement the clew suspension system.

Good luck!
    Last edited by xrayextra; 03-16-2017 at 10:45. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I made a modular UQ from CSTs. I ripped the vertical seams from the primary so as to have horizontal baffles, and to utilize all the down in the quilt. Shook all the down to one side and sewed off to width on the empty side. I then made a slightly narrower vertical baffle quilt, also finagling and ripping some seams, adding some basting stitches, and shifting down to places where it will be utilized. I then used kam snaps to attach the vertical inner to the horizontal outer. Had the single layer out in what was *supposed* to be 40* lows, but dipped a few degrees below freezing. I was miserable and hypothermic. Took the double layer out where temps were more or less reliably reported to be around 25* and was almost too warm all night. I regret that I don't have pics on my phone, but it seems to me that with the CDT'S, they're nothing special by themselves, but 1+1=3. YMMV.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

• + New Posts