Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dying Mule Tape

Hammock
    Grand Truck Skeeter beater pro
    Suspension
    warbonnet

Dying Mule Tape

I ran into ALOT of mule tape. Seems to be a great line for many uses. I just don't the white color. I was wondering if anyone had any experience dying it a different color. I'd love to have it colored black or even a dark green. Has anyone had any success stories dying mule tape? What product did you use? Did it "bleed" afterwards? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I have a bundle sitting around that I haven't used yet, primarily because I hate the white as well and haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to use it for just yet...

Here were a few threads I had bookmarked on the topic which contain quite a bit of information which you'll probably find valuable.

RIT Dye
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Mule-Tape-Dye

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...that-Mule-Tape

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...thetic-dye-fun

Spray Painting
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ting-Mule-Tape

Sharpie Coloring
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...f-my-Mule-Tape

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Depending on the synthetic used, a catalyst of either salt or vinegar are needed to dye with Rit. (polyester or nylon) I always use very hot water (almost boiling) and soak time depends on how dark you want it as well as the amount of Rit to use. As far as bleeding, as long as you cold rinse well afterwards and let it dry you should have no problem in the rain with bleeding. The Rit website has guides to help you as well as some folks who have dyed desert camo Molle gear to make it green or brown for eastern woodland use. Just search Rit Dye and Molle Gear should get you results your looking for.

I am dyeing some right now in a dark wallnut stain I have no idea what it will come out like but I will let you know as soon as it comes out and I rinse it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I tried with an acid dye. Only a vague tea stain unfortunately
    Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

Hammock
    Suspension
    warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by kalyng86 View Post
    I am dyeing some right now in a dark wallnut stain I have no idea what it will come out like but I will let you know as soon as it comes out and I rinse it.

Thank for all the replies so far....love to see the results as well.....and what exactly was used. This stuff seems GREAT except the color.

So I used minwax dark wallnut stain just soaked it for about 10 min pulled it out and wiped it dry. Then I soaked it in water for 15 min pulled it out and wiped it dry until no more stain cam off. Now it is almost dry and I can touch it and it is not bleeding on my hands I even put it back in the water to see it that would make it bleed it seems to be foot to go. This is not mule tape but the same thing I think it's the 3/4 inch straps parr lumber uses to bundle there lumber packs for job delivery. Here is a before and after of it.

Hammock
    Suspension
    warbonnet
    Just so happened I had a small amount of English chestnut min wax stain left in a can and tried a foot long test piece. This seems like its gonna work great. I just hope this smell disappears lol. If it does work out.......Im thinking a quart of ebony is gonna make this stuff black as the ace of spades with some work. I didn't take the time to wipe it all off were it comes off clean on the rag.....just most of the excess.....if it'll work like this it will be a breeze.
    Last edited by Bigtimber; 03-14-2017 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber View Post
    Just so happened I had a small amount of English chestnut min wax stain left in a can and tried a foot long test piece. This seems like its gonna work great. I just hope this smell disappears lol. If it does work out.......Im thinking a quart of ebony is gonna make this stuff black as the ace of spades with some work. I didn't take the time to wipe it all off were it comes off clean on the rag.....just most of the excess.....if it'll work like this it will be a breeze.
    Yeah i am just letting it dry all the way it seems to work fine I don't think there is any reason for putting it in the water it is not do anything so next time I will be skipping that step and just putting it on and letting it dry

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kalyng86 View Post
    Yeah i am just letting it dry all the way it seems to work fine I don't think there is any reason for putting it in the water it is not do anything so next time I will be skipping that step and just putting it on and letting it dry

The stuff you are using may not need a water soak since it isn't used for pulling cables, but 'real' muletape can often have a water soluble lubricant coated on it that is good to remove with a soak.

Your results look really good. Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast