Weight testing my webbing straps...formula for calculating dynamic force? Best methods?

Hello, I am trying to test my straps, and looking for a logical way to do so without sending these somewhere to have it done. I've basically tried a break test, which was me rolling up the hung hammock, and then sitting in the middle of the rolled hammock and bouncing on it extremely hard. I was able to break a bunch of commercial straps as well as my own, but at different rates. However, I have no clue what kind of force this is actually applying...therefore I feel this break test isnt telling me what I actually need to know.

What is the best way to weight test at home? It seems most straps will eventually break with enough force, but how do I calculate the actual force being applied, and what is the best way to test the force?

Anyways, just looking for an at home way to determine the strength of my straps.

Thank you, guys and gals!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    static and dynamic are the 2 types of forces you need to worry about

static is easy test, just load weights onto it until it fails

Would you suggest a particular method to test dynamic weight at home, and a way (formula) to calculate the force?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Oil Skin Canvas
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 degree
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Find your local crane company and find out who they use to inspect their gear. That company that inspects the rigging gear should have a person and machine to do that testing.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Ideally you would use a calibrated load testing machine. But they are probably pretty expensive (I've never tried purchasing one, so maybe not).

If you're a DIYer looking to satisfy your own curiosity, a simple load test can be done by hanging weights from your straps until they break. That's "static loading".

"Dynamic loading" would involve attaching weights to your straps and then lifting and dropping the weight (so that you get a nice "jerk" on the strap when the weight bottoms out.) (This is much less risky than bouncing on your hammock until something [your neck] breaks! )

Calculating the forces involved is above my pay grade. You'll want to consult an engineer, someone with "P.E." or "S.E." after his name.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Unless you want to invest in something similar to the ROCK EXOTICA ENFORCER @$800, there is no easy way to know how much dynamic load you have applied.

However, you don't necessarily need to know that since the force it takes to break a strap will be roughly the same whether it is applied statically or dynamically. That's were "safe working loads" are useful...breaking strength divided by 5 (or 10 for life support)...as they leave room for dynamic loads that are higher than the static load.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    forgive me if I am wrong but I think it was Gadget uk ,or tacblade ,cant remember but one of them did some extensive working test,s ON A lot of different things ( amsteel ,and straps ) with winches and pulleys ,and some kind oF meter, i look for it but cant find it again, I will keep on looking for you if I find it I will steer you in the right direction ,
    always use tree straps please

• + New Posts