Hammock
    No fave yet.
    Tarp
    Still exploring.
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling.

Question Prepping for first cold weather hang.

I am new to hanging and am now preparing for a late March/early April backpacking trip on the Manistee River Trail here in Michigan.
    It is still too early to predict weather and after reading quite a bit here and watching Shug's reviews, I finally made the decision to get a 4-season underquilt. I chose the JRB Greylock 4 and should get it in time for the trip.
    I have also upgraded suspension to whoopie slings with whoopie hooks and replaced the stock rope tie off at the end of my hammock with endless loops. I also fabricated a couple of tree straps and have toggles for marlinespike knots.
    I plan to use my closed cell foam seat for under my calves and feet and my down sleeping bag for an overquilt. I have a sil poly tarp that I need to rig suspension for, but otherwise, I think I have my bases covered.
    Does anyone else have suspension suggestions for a 12' Noah's tarp? I was thinking about using the 2/3 points on opposite sides to hang it at an angle to provide more coverage over my lay. I will have tracking poles if needed to create a porch.

Thanks again all for the inspiration!

-Mudges in Michigan!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Get this for your ridgeline: https://dutchwaregear.com/continuous-ridgeline.html

When I had my Noah 12 I used zingit for the tie out about 6' on the two corner tie outs on the same side and the 12' on the other two corner tie outs to put it in porch mode. I've since moved to dutchwire.

Good luck and have fun on your trip
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    No fave yet.
    Tarp
    Still exploring.
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling.
    My JRB Greylock4 arrived on Wednesday. Headed out with my son's scout troop in 20° weather overnight Friday and Saturday. Hung the Noah's 12 tarp between a couple of trees about 18' apart in diamond arrangement. Hung my Eno singlenest with homemade tree straps, marlinespike and whoopie slings. Used a Montbell 15° spiral hugger as an UQ and had a piece of Reflective and a small square of CCF if needed for butt protection.
    After some fiddling with the Ridgeline length, I was able to get comfortable physically. Had the occasional draft between butt and UQ, but found the right placement and tension on the end gathers. Used the Reflective the first night and woke up sweating! I didn't expect to be that warm! Switched to the CCF and enjoyed nearly perfect sleeping temp the remainder of the evening.
    Saturday, I tore the whole setup down, and re-hung everything between two trees 12-13' apart. Tarp in A-frame and used the trekking poles for porch mode. Pulled the poles as I turned in and had an even better night sleep!
    Things for next time:
    Measure hammock and do the math on the ridgeline- compare with what I did this time.
    Bring a piece of plastic/tyvek for setting the pack while setting up/tearing down.
    Bring a few more pieces of 6-10' lines for tarp guy outs.
    Bring slightly larger tieout stakes for softer ground

Thanks to all who have posted here, your knowledge shared makes it much easier for noobs like me. I feel like I got a lot right this time around. I also have a boost of confidence knowing I can handle a variety of hang distances and cooler temps.

Time to start dreaming and saving up for the next hammock, tarp or overquilt....

It's a beeyootyful Michigan morning!

-Mudges

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Looks like another addict! Welcome to the club!😃😃

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk