Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20

20 degree Incubator Test

Last night I tested out my HH with my 20 degree incubator. I can honestly say I knew that the Hammock Gear was quality, but I am still in utter shock that the 20 degree incubator kept my backside toasty warm all night when the temps dipped down to 25 degrees. I am looking forward to getting a burrow ordered from them in the near future.

I actually woke up to snow on the HH and am glad I didn't get lazy and not set up the fly since it wasn't supposed to snow or rain at all.

Looking forward to my next adventure.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Congrats on the new quilt and the snow. They are calling for snow here tonight so I'm debating whether to hang out tonight or not.

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Yes they are excellent quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrhoads View Post
    ...... but I am still in utter shock that the 20 degree incubator kept my backside toasty warm all night when the temps dipped down to 25 degrees....
    Shocked that your quilt kept you warm ABOVE its rated temp??? Am I the only one that expects a piece of gear to perform as advertised??? Shouldn't we expect UQ's, adjusted correctly, to live up to their ratings??

I've been very happy with all my HG quilts. The incubator design makes sense and works very well, even stacked with other UQ's for when it gets really cold!

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Google, in a world of marketing where most of the temp ratings fall into the "extreme/may keep you from hypothermia" level out cottage vendors stand apart.
    While I have a new incubator and burrow I haven't had a chance to test them (no trees at my place) though I'm looking forward to it. I expect them to perform well as long as I set the underquilt up correctly.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Great gear makes such a difference. Any overstuff? My Phoenix has it and has performed flawlessly. So I bought an Incubator - but it doesn't have overstuff.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Shocked that your quilt kept you warm ABOVE its rated temp??? Am I the only one that expects a piece of gear to perform as advertised??? Shouldn't we expect UQ's, adjusted correctly, to live up to their ratings??

I've been very happy with all my HG quilts. The incubator design makes sense and works very well, even stacked with other UQ's for when it gets really cold!
    I concur. Some people buffer their gear but I appreciate pushing the limits. So far every quilt I own from HG and UGQ has out performed their ratings.

I can understand buffering if I'm going to be on a multi day hike though. Under some circumstances it's better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    No overstuff, and I consider myself to be a cold sleeper.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I stacked two 20 deg incubators and took it down to 4 degrees was toasty roasty.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The cottage folks that make quilts have more in common with Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends bags than similarly rated REI, NF, MH, Marmot, etc. bags, which are all better than average makes, just not as good as WM and FF. What keeps these other makes from being as good is that they are often pushing the limits on their ratings for marketing purposes. Or rather I suppose, designing products that more narrowly meet the ratings that they are designed to meet. Throw in the makes that are the next tier below or lower, and its easy to understand why many folks don't trust the rating to be actual.

Plus, many times people sleep cold like I do, and I find I need a little extra, whether its buying a step lower rating or extra overstuff. Its one reason I always recommend that one buy 10 degrees lower rated quilt than one anticipates using it at. I believe for many, the cottage make quilts do perform to their rating, and may keep some warm in temps past their rating if used properly and efficiently - the latter being not well understood by most.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast