Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Working on it.
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

New Want-to-be Hanger

OK - I have been reading this site, manufacturers site and gear testing sites. I am even more lost than when I started. I'm a big boy - 6'1" and around 250 lbs. I live in Texas. I am comfort driven. The reviews and opinion spread across the entire spectrum for evry hammock I have looked at. I want a quality hammock with good comfort for a new initiate to hanging, but I'm lost as to which hammock would be a good first hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Haven't you heard about the word? The Bird is the word!
    Tough to go wrong with a Blackbird from Warbonnet. They will fit someone your size easily.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Welcome to HF from a fellow (native) Texan!

What particular hammocks have caught your eye? You're going to get a thousand different answers to your inquiry. Just know up front that you'll eventually own all of them!

Many here have extensive collections. I've had my share over the years and currently have 3 favorites, in no particular order:

1. Warbonnet Blackbird
    2. Hennessy Expedition with 2Q/ZQ zipper mod
    3. TrekLight Double in camo

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Welcome, Prepper you are sure right about every thing you said. Decideing on a hammock is a tough decision. As a recent hammock buyer the first thing I took into consideration is do I want a bridge hammock or not. I decided not bc as a new hanger felt that non bridge hammock's were easier to use and set up. Do you want it for winter use with no bug netting or more of a 3 seasons hammock with a sewn in bug net. Id say those for me those where the two big questions. Then I decide which hammock would be the roomiest and lay the flatest for me and got the WBBB double 1.7. Im 6', 210pds. Hope this helps, good luck hanging.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
    OK - I have been reading this site, manufacturers site and gear testing sites. I am even more lost than when I started. I'm a big boy - 6'1" and around 250 lbs. I live in Texas. I am comfort driven. The reviews and opinion spread across the entire spectrum for evry hammock I have looked at. I want a quality hammock with good comfort for a new initiate to hanging, but I'm lost as to which hammock would be a good first hammock.
    First of all, welcome to Hammock Forums! You have found the best place to feed your addiction.... I mean your new hobby!!!

I also echo what Cannibal said in the first post. Go ahead and get a Warbonnet Blackbird. As a convert myself last year, it is the best sleep that I have ever gotten outside or sometimes inside.

I'm 6'6" and 248 lbs. now. When I ordered my Blackbird I was at 297 lbs. At the recommendation of Warbonnetguy (Brandon is his real name) I ordered the double 1.7 hammock. The hammock has held up extremely well, and as I stated earlier, it is the best sleep I have ever gotten outside. As a matter of fact, when I went to my brother's house over Christmas, I opted to sleep in it rather than in the house on a hard bed.

So go ahead, bite the bullet and order your Blackbird!

Randy

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap
    Ask any three hangers for their opinions about hammocks and you'll get AT LEAST four answers.

Comfortable hammocks are like shoes and ez-boy recliners. You're going to need some experience to know that "perfect fit" but it's always best to start at a place where you can try a few on...

If I were you I'd put a call out on HF for a spring hang as soon as the weather suites you in Texas. There are about 50+ Texans on hammock forums. Tell 'em you'd like to try out their setups so you can buy your first hammock and you may even be able to get one of the guys that has a gazillion "extras" laying around who'll sell it to you for a deal to boot.

If you're going to be all hardcore about it and want your first hammock to be a really good one, that's what you'll need to do. Decide for yourself, from your own experience.

If you're looking for a quick start, they have cheap 'travel' hammocks on the internet that will do just fine until you get experienced enough to have a solid preference of your own.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attrezzo View Post
    Ask any three hangers for their opinions about hammocks and you'll get AT LEAST four answers.
    Very true. Grasshopper is wise beyond his post count.

Quote Originally Posted by attrezzo View Post
    Tell 'em you'd like to try out their setups so you can buy your first hammock and you may even be able to get one of the guys that has a gazillion "extras" laying around who'll sell it to you for a deal to boot.
    The first part is right; most of us gazillion "extra" folks are more than happy to share the good stuff. However, we became hammock gazillionaires by not selling our gear.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Working on it.
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I live in Austin, Texas and I camp around Texas (Fishing, Rock Climbing, and Hunting).

Do I need a bug net - OH YEAH, Texas has all kinds of creepy crawlers. One of the reasons Hammocks look good to me is the fire ant problem in Texas.

Also our seasons are simple - Spring (Hot), Summer (So this is what hell feels like), Fall (Will this heat ever go away), and Winter (It's 30 degrees, get your parka on). For instance yesterday morning was low 40s and the evening was 69. Today is warmer.

I think that answers all the questions.

Thanks for your help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Prepper.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I live in Austin, Texas and I camp around Texas (Fishing, Rock Climbing, and Hunting).

Do I need a bug net - OH YEAH, Texas has all kinds of creepy crawlers. One of the reasons Hammocks look good to me is the fire ant problem in Texas.

Also our seasons are simple - Spring (Hot), Summer (So this is what hell feels like), Fall (Will this heat ever go away), and Winter (It's 30 degrees, get your parka on). For instance yesterday morning was low 40s and the evening was 69. Today is warmer.

I think that answers all the questions.

Thanks for your help.
    thats what southern Cali was like...i sure do miss the weather...
    ahhhh the good old days
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast