Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In search of 2 person car camping hammock design / schematics / drawings / pattern?

Sewed my first gathered end two layer hammock from plans on this site last year. It works well and does it's job but I find it small and not suitable for my gf and I.

I am searching for designs of a two person larger hammock which would be for lounging between two trees. Not used for sleeping.

I have searched the archives and through a few threads with no easy pattern to copy. Anyone wish to share their design or could point me towards one to look at?

Thanks, Randy.

the problem is that 2 people in one hammock both smoosh to the center. the best design I saw was basically 2 hammocks sewn together on the long center seam. it created a center ridgeline of sorts.
    Personally I gave up on a single hammock and use 2 hammocks and a spreader bar if we are sleeping. otherwise just hang them from the same set of trees. no spreader bar will mash you together, and the spreader bar will separate you enough to sleep. that also gives you the option of hanging separately if desired. You can always just smoosh together in one wide hammock to cuddle...

So I guess i am looking for a wider pattern hammock design. I don't mind smooshing together. As I said in original post there will be no sleeping in this one.

Making the hammock wider is not an issue, same design as any other gathered end hammock. I'd say the two primary options are:

1. Use a wide fabric (65-70" range).
    2. Sew on "side panels" like ENO does to make standard fabric wider, then proceed with making the hammock.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    The problem you're going to face is gravity. Regardless of lounging or sleeping, two people will still smoosh towards the low point in the middle. A wider hammock won't really negate that.

That being said, you basically want to make a longer, wider hammock. It's the same gathered end style hammock, but make it 12 or 13' long and use the 72" wide fabrics from Dutch or RSBTR.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

What if you started with a 70 inch wide XL fabric and then did a whipped end with the center portion pulled a bit tighter to create a ridge down the center?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Just buy a Grand Trunk Double, and call it done. Rated for 400#, IIRC.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

The point of this discussion is to make my own even if it costs the same as buying one. Hence this is in the DIY forum.

I like the idea of the side panel setup like the ENOs. Are there any plans / drawings copying the eno style hammocks with side panels?

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I wouldn't say I sewed an eno style hammock, but I do have side channels, which widened my hammock and have been working out beautifully.

https://youtu.be/xExXE648aIs

Pattern & detailed sewing instructions

https://youtu.be/Fo86snPA_oc
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by randy88fj62 View Post
    The point of this discussion is to make my own even if it costs the same as buying one. Hence this is in the DIY forum.

I like the idea of the side panel setup like the ENOs. Are there any plans / drawings copying the eno style hammocks with side panels?
    I'm not trying to be mean, here, I promise. But what do you need a pattern for? Order 4 yards of fabric. Fold half an inch in twice and sew a hem on both sides. Then triple stitch a 2 inch channel on each end. Presto chango. Fabric to a hammock in 20 minutes. It's really super simple. Extra wide fabric will make enough space for two people.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast