Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Afternoon hang. Good news / bad news.

Good news, bad news ...

This past weekend, I was able to dig out some 1.0 Robic that I bought a while back and got it hemmed up … notice that I didn’t say that I did the hemming. LOL I had access to some better sewers than me through my daughter’s dance studio. Two of the moms worked on the fabric before they were able to get it finished. I am very grateful for their help, since they are much better at thread injecting than I am.

1.0.jpg

I headed out to a local park this afternoon for a quick hang between dropping the kiddos off at school and having to be at work. The weather was absolutely fantastic. I was able to have a quiet lunch and read for almost 90 minutes. My new hammock feels great.

I had been hanging for less than 30 minutes and I had found 3 ticks. I found two more after getting to my car and 1 more while changing for work. This Florida-like winter is gonna be a pain in the butt this year since we didn't have any sustained cold weather to kill off the blood sucking critters. I can't believe it is still the beginning of March and I am already thinking about breaking out the permethrin.

1st tick.jpg

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    The weather many places has been wild for sure. I haven't been out much lately, but I had wondered about the ticks coming out here. We've been in the 60's and 70's a lot over the last month with almost no freezing. Trees have started budding, spring flowers have been up...and now we're looking at a few hard freezes and some decent snow accumulation over the next week. Had the similar situation happen last year and the freezes killed off all of our fruit blossoms.
    On the positive side, we seemed to have a lot fewer insects. Maybe this year the little bloodsuckers will die off after getting 3 inches of snow piled on them.

It has been ridiculously warm here in NC, as well. Having said that, we're likely to get some snow on Sunday in the Raleigh area so maybe that will knock some of the bugs down. I think it's going to be a miserable summer and the permethrin will be coming out soon.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Man that stinks. I have a trip on the first week of April and was hoping we'd beat the bugs. Doesn't look like it.

On the plus side, hey you got a new hammock you didn't have to sew yourself that feels great! Good job!

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Man that stinks. I have a trip on the first week of April and was hoping we'd beat the bugs. Doesn't look like it.

On the plus side, hey you got a new hammock you didn't have to sew yourself that feels great! Good job!
    If you are heading north, hopefully they have had a little more cold weather that what we have had. I can only remember using the ice scraper once or twice for any frost this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Get those shoes out of that delicate fabric! Seriously, I would wear anything but sweat pants or gym shorts in that material.

Bummer about the bugs. I've been so excited to get out this year, haven't had time yet, but I will definitely be making some mosquito head nets and soaking most of my gear in permethrin for sure. Weird warm winter weather definitely has it tradeoffs. We are getting freezing temps for the next few days and sloppy snow tomorrow. Hopefully with the bugs out they get nailed and take the population down.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Guilty as charged about the shoes. My hiking pants are pretty much snag free and I definitely make sure that all sharps are out of my pockets.
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I had a mosquito last month in Indiana.
    The bugs are going to be brutal this year. Winter has its benefits.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I had a mosquito last month in Indiana.
    The bugs are going to be brutal this year. Winter has its benefits.
    NOT GOOD

And this was the year I was going to try and do a summer trip.

I'd read an article about there being lots of mice due to the mild weather as well, possibly upping the Lyme disease possibilities when combined with all the ticks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    Was in SE Ohio a few days ago. There were plenty of mosquitos on the hiking trails, but I did not get any ticks. Temps have dropped suddenly, so I am hopeful that the adult mosquito population will take a hit and delay the inevitable onset.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Get those shoes out of that delicate fabric! Seriously, I would wear anything but sweat pants or gym shorts in that material.

Bummer about the bugs. I've been so excited to get out this year, haven't had time yet, but I will definitely be making some mosquito head nets and soaking most of my gear in permethrin for sure. Weird warm winter weather definitely has it tradeoffs. We are getting freezing temps for the next few days and sloppy snow tomorrow. Hopefully with the bugs out they get nailed and take the population down.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast