Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    One cannot have a useful discussion of whether or not something is a hammock without first coming to an agreement on what the definition of a hammock is. Otherwise its just everyone arguing opinions. According to google a hammock is a bed made of canvas or of rope mesh and suspended by cords at the ends, used as garden furniture or on board a ship. So, according to google my guess is that none of us sleep on hammocks

Perhaps we can do better? What is a hammock?

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFerguson View Post
    We "family camp' in our Tentsile Tent, the Stingray, on the spoil islands in the Banana River, Space Coast of Florida. Wife and 2 kids sleep in the string ray while I enjoy my hammock. My wife loves that she is off the ground and close to the kids. Kids love the "tree fort" style of the Stingray. I love that everyone is happy and can enjoy my hammock. Everyone benefits from the airflow around stingray/hammock during hot summer night. I've slept in the tensile tent a couple of times, I would consider it a hammock.
    The tensile has always made me think of a tree fort, I bet it's a blast for kids. In FL in the summer I'm sure that most people don't want any sort of insulation. But since you're already hauling something that's more suited to car-camping, there's no reason you couldn't use heavy/bulky things like insulated camping pads, or wool blankets. Maybe even a giant underquilt strung under the whole thing.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgreen View Post
    One cannot have a useful discussion of whether or not something is a hammock without first coming to an agreement on what the definition of a hammock is. Otherwise its just everyone arguing opinions. According to google a hammock is a bed made of canvas or of rope mesh and suspended by cords at the ends, used as garden furniture or on board a ship. So, according to google my guess is that none of us sleep on hammocks

Perhaps we can do better? What is a hammock?
    My intent was not to argue the definition of a hammock. Rather the intent was to ask the question are these viable options that people have used or would use as a camping/backpacking hammock or are they merely "toys" as outandback stated for use in the backyard or more likely on a camping trip but not for sleeping.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    WarBonnett Traveler Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down Baby, Down!
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    I have a Tentstile Stingray that I have never slept in. My girls have, and love it. I got it to get my wife off of the ground, to have her enjoy being hot in the woods more. Outdoorsy, she ain't. For car camping, no problem. It gets you up off the ground for comfort but acts more like tent camping for those who haven't yet embraced their "inner hammock". WAY too heavy for backpacking, at 20 ish pounds, but fine for car camping.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    My intent was not to argue the definition of a hammock. Rather the intent was to ask the question are these viable options that people have used or would use as a camping/backpacking hammock or are they merely "toys" as outandback stated for use in the backyard or more likely on a camping trip but not for sleeping.
    OK....so I think it is still a bit ambiguous. Back in the 1970s I would haver thought they were great, but then I carried a 70 pound pack. My brother in law still insists on carrying things like axes and saws when we backpack (or at least did until recently). So, for some people by their criteria this would work fine, and I don't see it as a toy. However, I now try to keep my pack weights down, so I think I'll take a crack at a set of criteria that I use for selecting what makes a great backpacking hammock. I will use the FLITE (lightweight model) as an example. My basic criteria for a backpacking solution (tent or hammock) is low weight, small pack size, easy to set up when I am tired and using a headlamp, and of course comfortable.

Light Weight: The FLITE weighs 7 pounds. Even if split among 2 people that is still too heavy, and I don't like sharing small tents. For one person it is ridiculous
    Compact: 16x8x8 - very bulky for one person, moderately bulky split among 2.
    Easy and fast to set up - they state 10 minutes, which likely means a minimum of 10 minutes, and add on more time to find 3 trees. When I am tired and setting up using a headlamp it is likely longer...it could add up to 15-20 minutes and that is a backpacking fail in my book.
    Comfortable: no way to judge without trying.

I would love to try one for fun and it might be great for car camping or very short hikes, but it fails the backpacking criteria in my book and, frankly, I have no problems with a hammock that this solves.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    I strongly suggest that everyone listen to the HYOH podcast. Many of the assumptions being made in this tread are dispelled to some degree by the developer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11FT Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles, CRL
    Images
    I have a Tentsile connect that I thoroughly enjoy, but I would never consider it a backpacking hammock. For me it is a relaxing at the lake, car camping, or kayamping hammock. On a side note while comfortable, I prefer my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgreen View Post
    OK....so I think it is still a bit ambiguous. Back in the 1970s I would haver thought they were great, but then I carried a 70 pound pack. My brother in law still insists on carrying things like axes and saws when we backpack (or at least did until recently). So, for some people by their criteria this would work fine, and I don't see it as a toy. However, I now try to keep my pack weights down, so I think I'll take a crack at a set of criteria that I use for selecting what makes a great backpacking hammock. I will use the FLITE (lightweight model) as an example. My basic criteria for a backpacking solution (tent or hammock) is low weight, small pack size, easy to set up when I am tired and using a headlamp, and of course comfortable.

Light Weight: The FLITE weighs 7 pounds. Even if split among 2 people that is still too heavy, and I don't like sharing small tents. For one person it is ridiculous
    Compact: 16x8x8 - very bulky for one person, moderately bulky split among 2.
    Easy and fast to set up - they state 10 minutes, which likely means a minimum of 10 minutes, and add on more time to find 3 trees. When I am tired and setting up using a headlamp it is likely longer...it could add up to 15-20 minutes and that is a backpacking fail in my book.
    Comfortable: no way to judge without trying.

I would love to try one for fun and it might be great for car camping or very short hikes, but it fails the backpacking criteria in my book and, frankly, I have no problems with a hammock that this solves.
    I agree with your assesment of the Tenstile option and agree. However the Troika is much lighter and compact. It is missing a traditional tarp and they have tried to address it with the "add a second one on top" as the tarp solution. My biggest challenge is with insulation on either design. The Troika creators obviously have very little hammock camping experience based on the claims in their KS and video. It would also fail if used the way they market it. It would have more potential than the Tentsile. I could see someone taking the Troika backpacking with some modifications but never the Tentsile.

Quote Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
    I strongly suggest that everyone listen to the HYOH podcast. Many of the assumptions being made in this tread are dispelled to some degree by the developer.

I did listen to the podcast as I stated originally. I got the feeling that the Tentsile inventor was more about how his product was much better and he will never go back to hammocks, rather than explaining why it was better. I don't see it ever fitting in a backpacking community and only in a warm climate car camping community. His solution of "hang your floor 1" in the snow to avoid wind below the floor and offer insulation" was at best a solution for the less experienced consumer who wants to be cold or has a different source of insulation. That solution would present many different challenges, gaps as the snow melted during the night away from your body, moisture, a material that is freezing or below as your insulation source... I get that snow is an insulator but it is not even close to a down or even synthetic insulation. He also basically said that insulation underneath would be a challenge and it might be best inside with something like a pad. Again, I think he was trying to solve problems that he didn't fully understand and created a "toy" in the process.

I may be too stuck on the insulation factor as I love winter camping and try to avoid camping where temperatures are above 70°F at night. For the areas where this is not the case the Troika might be an OK backpacking option and the Tentsile an OK car camping option.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post

So that everyone has a link, here is the URL for the podcast episode in question: http://www.hyohpodcast.com/tentsile/

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    In both product there is no sag which means you need incredibly strong straps and ratches to achieve the desired tension, not to mention sturdy trees, not sure if they damage the trees.

For me these are just not interesting designs
    Too heavy
    Too expensive
    Not solving any problems that a hammock doesnt solve more elegantly.

So i see them more as a novelty and something for the kids to play in for the summer.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast