Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    I stopped using my snake skins. Instead, I use a few soft shackles to keep it rolled up. I actually recently tried just using some hair ties, and those work well too.

To store my tarp, I roll it up on the line and slide on the soft shackles/hair ties. I then take the line down from the tree. Then, I fold the rolled tarp length wise repeatedly until it is about two feet long. I then compress the whole thing in my arms. I store it on the outside of my pack.

Hammock
    DW Half-Wit / DW Netless / Darien
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS

Thumbs up I'm sold on SS now.

I played around with how to pack the tarp in the SS tonight. I'm very happy with the size I can get it packed down to.
    SS packed.jpg
    Just takes a bit more time to pack up, but not as much time when I folded it up without a SS and now I have the easy of the SS.
    I'm sold now.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    I stopped using my snake skins. Instead, I use a few soft shackles to keep it rolled up. I actually recently tried just using some hair ties, and those work well too.

To store my tarp, I roll it up on the line and slide on the soft shackles/hair ties. I then take the line down from the tree. Then, I fold the rolled tarp length wise repeatedly until it is about two feet long. I then compress the whole thing in my arms. I store it on the outside of my pack.
    I use a similar approach except I stuff into the double ended stuff sack to keep my tarp compressed in the mesh pocket of my pack. I think the soft shackle method is criminally overlooked by everyone who loves the skins - it has the same benefits in windy conditions that snakeskin users (myself included) rave about, allows the undeployed tarp to dry the teeny-tiny bit faster (which is the appeal of the noseeum skins) and weighs nothing almost and adds no bulk.

I use Shugs "toss the guylines in and roll up" lazy tarp stowing method and have had no issues so far. Sure, the stowed "roll" is slightly less contained (may actually be better for a previously wet tarp and fabric degradation) and very occasionally I need to fiddle with it or roll the shackle to a different area. I also use the extra pair of shoelaces I keep as a backup water break in a real pinch, since I don't need them as a water break if my tarp is stowed!

Here's a post I put up a few weeks ago with photos of this approach.
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I use sil and mesh SS with my tarps. Yes, they create a bit more bulk than some stuffing/rolling/folding would. However, I don't mind for the added convenience. The tarp goes in a mesh "pocket" on the outside of my pack so it can be the first thing deployed when I hit camp. So long as it fits in the pocket that's all that matters to me. +/- some amount of bulk has little effect.

With that said, I've tried the same approach with the hammock putting everything in a lazy slug tube. I absolutely loved the fact everything was ready to go. I literally had to attach the tree straps, loosen a cord lock, slide back the sleeve and I was ready for bed. However, the combination of hammock, TQ, UQ, pillow jammed inside the tube took up about 60% of my pack volume. I tried to squish it down inside a compactor back and it just wouldn't go much smaller. The same items in separate stuff sacks or assembled together but jammed into a compactor bag took up maybe the bottom 40%.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    I use a similar approach except I stuff into the double ended stuff sack to keep my tarp compressed in the mesh pocket of my pack. I think the soft shackle method is criminally overlooked by everyone who loves the skins - it has the same benefits in windy conditions that snakeskin users (myself included) rave about, allows the undeployed tarp to dry the teeny-tiny bit faster (which is the appeal of the noseeum skins) and weighs nothing almost and adds no bulk.

I use Shugs "toss the guylines in and roll up" lazy tarp stowing method and have had no issues so far. Sure, the stowed "roll" is slightly less contained (may actually be better for a previously wet tarp and fabric degradation) and very occasionally I need to fiddle with it or roll the shackle to a different area. I also use the extra pair of shoelaces I keep as a backup water break in a real pinch, since I don't need them as a water break if my tarp is stowed!

Here's a post I put up a few weeks ago with photos of this approach.
    I do this with my summer hex tarps, but I still use skins on my SuperFly. I feel the skins help with the added material of the doors. Usually when I'm using the SF I'm not as worried about bulk and weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Closed cell, Cosco
    Images

Snake Skins - Not sold on them - packed size

I recently bought snake skins for my hammock and really didn't like them. I actually think it took longer (maybe because it was so big) to deploy than when I'd use the Bishop bag. Now for a tarp, I like the snake skins because of all the cords, it makes it more convenient.

Hammock
    Grand Truck Skeeter beater pro
    Suspension
    warbonnet
    I think I might try some hair ties........never thought of that one.....have to just try and see.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber View Post
    I think I might try some hair ties........never thought of that one.....have to just try and see.
    From my tests, they work really well. I was never really sold on snake skins and after trying hair ties a few times, I went and sold both of my snake skins.

I decided to make my own "hair ties" by using some 1/16" shock cord I had lying around. I cut 10" length cords and then tied a double fisherman's knot to make a nice loop. After tying and snipping off a little extra, my guess the loop itself is about 6-8" circumference.

I roll one end of my tarp up and then slide the "hair ties" over onto the tarp. I walk over and roll the other end of the tarp up and then slide a loop down to that end. 2 loops does well, but I found 3 keeps the tarp rolled together a bit better (one on each end and one in the middle). You could use 4 if you really want a uniform roll throughout the tarp, and since each loop weighs about .6 grams, you're not adding much weight. For comparison, a CF snakeskin comes out at about 26 grams.

There are advantages to both. If you have a wet tarp (and prefer to store your tarp inside your pack), the CF snake skin might help keep water from your gear. I tend to store my tarp on the mesh panel outside of my pack, or wipe it down with a small towel before packing it up.

The hair ties stay on the line, are easy to slide on and off, and help air out the tarp a bit better. Try them out, you might like them!

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I use sil-nylon skins on my Superfly and CF skins on my CF Winter Palace. Both sets are 2-piece skins which I think are easier to deploy from each end (meet in the middle) rather than a 1-piece skin. Once I get the tarp into the skins, I fold it into 12-18" sections and use the tarp suspension zing-it to put some wraps on the bundled snake skins. Sometimes, this gets put into a stuff sack - other times, it just goes direct into an external pack pocket.

In any case, I do not feel the snakeskins add any bulk to my tarp storage. To me, they make it easier to deploy, pack, and gather.

Hammock
    WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by StandingBear View Post
    It is slightly more bulkier, but they make it so much easier to deploy in the wind.
    Same here. I like them for ease of deployment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast