DW Half-Wit / DW Netless / Darien
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS

Snake Skins - Not sold on them - packed size

Today after work I decided to take a short hike and play with some gear I recently got to see if I like it.
    I purchased a HG - Cuben SS which is a one piece SS for my CF tarp.
    I wanted a quicker way to deploy and repack the tarp and thought I'd give the SS a try. Currently I fold it up and place into it's bag. This method works well when not windy, just takes a time.

What I've notice with the SS while playing, is it will be great for deployment and repacking of the tarp.
    What I did not like is the bulk I now have with it in the SS.
    I did not have time to try different rolling methods or folding / rolling methods to get something smaller then a beach ball.

I started at a corner of the tarp and rolled diagonally the whole length of the tarp and slide the SS over the tarp. Is there a better way to do this? I did not have time to try, but wondering if starting in the middle of the tarp and rolling everything straight up might work.

Once the tarp was in the SS, I tried folding the SS in half, then rolling, 3rds then rolling. I always seem to end up with a beach ball.
    Maybe I have to try just folding it somehow without rolling. Maybe that will be a tonight in the garage task.
    Have you found a nice way to pack your tarp so the size is nice?

This is what I got with folding the SS in half and rolling.
    BB2.jpg

This is the above placed in the bag the tarp come in. I end up with a ball a little over 6" X 4".
    BB1.jpg
    BB3.jpg

Now when I fold the tarp I end up with 7" X 2" which fits into the backpack pocket nicely. This is without snake skins installed. I like how it is more compact, which the few tests I tried was not able to do with SS installed.
    Folded1.jpg
    folded2.jpg

Maybe I'm just too OCD?
    Last edited by elgecko; 03-07-2017 at 11:46. Reason: clearification of last 2 pics.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hey it is what it is. I like the snake skins as it makes storing and deploying my Silpoly tarp a breeze but I have no idea how big the finished product is as I simply cram my snake skins in the pack and move on.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I use 2 piece skins and don't fold, roll, or any of that nonsense......until I get to the middle. The tarp will form a bubble, I work the air out while I roll these sections with the guylines inside. Them I pull one skin over the other and put my tarp back in the stuff sack it came with......but mine aren't cuben, a notoriously bulky fabric.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I use 2 piece skins and don't fold, roll, or any of that nonsense......until I get to the middle. The tarp will form a bubble, I work the air out while I roll these sections with the guylines inside. Them I pull one skin over the other and put my tarp back in the stuff sack it came with......but mine aren't cuben, a notoriously bulky fabric.
    +1 ^^^^^^CF is great (I hear) but a little bulkier. My silpoly packs down great in the mountaingoat skins

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Though I have two-piece CF snakeskins, I just roll them up. Is cuben fiber bulky? Sure, but it doesn't really matter to me since the pack still fits in my outside pocket.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    It is slightly more bulkier, but they make it so much easier to deploy in the wind.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I used HG single cuben sleeve on my cuben hex tarp. Side by side with a sil tarp it looked bulky, but I didn't find that at all when packing. It just slid right into my pack, inside but farthest away from my back. The slick material made that easy even after I was packed.

Using the sleeve, then folding it a few times gave it that rectangular shape like your last 2 photos. Larger than sil, but flatter and easy to hide in the pack. I kinda miss it!

Hammock
    DW Half-Wit / DW Netless / Darien
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS
    I was just looking over my original post and notice a big oversight, which might lead to confusing about what I'm showing. (I'll edit the original post after I post this explanation.)

The last 2 pictures are of the tarp folded without snake skins. I like how I can get it more compact without the snake skins. Not sure that's what people took my post showing since I left out, without snake skins.

I did not have time to try anything last night to see if I can get it packed flatter with the snake skins installed. I have an idea using the original tarp bag. It will just take longer to pack up....if it works.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG / EE
    I love my HG CF snakeskins. They do take a little getting used to when packing up but use them once in the wind, or I guess don't use them once in the wind, and you'll be sold.

When I use them with my cuben tarp, I have to roll the tarp, starting at the bottom corner. Once I can get it slid on about halfway, I do that and then start at the next corner, rolling up diagonally to the middle, making sure to carefully wrap up the lines with the tarp. I don't use a CRL, instead, use stingerz. I undo the side that doesn't have the cord lock, let it fall to the ground, then walk over to the other side and do the same thing. I start on the first end I undid, kind of folding into sections a little shorter than the tarp stuff sack, flattening as I go. Once it's done, I stuff it into the tarp stuff sack. A little bulkier so a little more difficult but doable for sure. When I'm using my silnylon or silpoly tarps, it's basically the same but those materials slide much easier so less folding and rolling and just sliding the skin to get the tarp sucked up into it.

I probably did a horrible job explaining that, lol, so feel free to ask if you need more info.

Banned
    Hammock
    DH 4905
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Enlightened 950 F
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Well the payoff is being convenient with minimal weight penalty. Bulk is the real penalty.
    CF as you probably know isnt great when it comes to space savings. What Ive done is poked a hole in my CF stuff sack and reinforced it with a few layers of CF tape and poked one end of the ridge line tie out through it. Now your able to cram and smash your tarp in there. Leaving the other end of ridge line tie out coming out the opening.

I tried the SS myself and was not a fan for my CF tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast