HH / DD
    Tarp
    HH Hex / DD 3x3
    Insulation
    DD underblanket
    Suspension
    original

Question Problem: face being pushed into side/bug net HH

I'm quite new to hammocks and have a problem I haven't been able to find an answer to by searching the forum/internet. Hopefully one of you lovely people can help me find the solution!

I've got a HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip and since I'm 172 cm (5' 7.75"), the hammock is super roomy, if not palatial, (I'm on the chunkier side though and wanted something that was rated well above my weight + something to lure my taller husband into hammocking (it worked! )).

Still I tend to end up with my face squished up against the bug net a little way up from where it is attached to the side of the hammock. I move a lot in my sleep and really like how the HH lets me do that, but I am clearly doing something wrong when I keep waking up almost lying on the net, rathern than on the fabric.

I am using the original suspension and am usually tying it as high up as I can reach. I have tried both taught (as per instructions) and with some slack. I am trying to put the foot end slightly higher, but might not have succeeded to get enough height difference.

Am I hanging it wrong? Or is there something else that is the problem?

Thanks!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Photos would help, so members could msake constructive suggestions.
    I had a HH, it was never comfortable, I had a problem similar to yours. How the hammock was hung did not toyslly solve the issue.
    Recently I learned I need a Left Lay hammock. HH is definately a Righ Lay. Hanging is much nicer with a Lefty, for me.
    Photos of your HH with you in it would be helpful.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Ha ha! I just had a funny visual of what the pictures would look like (smooshed face against netting)!

I would probably have the same problem, but I tend to tuck my head down too, so it's the top of my head that ends up there, if I'sleeping toward the edge. But really, I find having something there, beside my head, whether it be the corner of a sleeping bag or a small pillow, it creates that space I need.

Hammock
    HH / DD
    Tarp
    HH Hex / DD 3x3
    Insulation
    DD underblanket
    Suspension
    original
    Ehm, what is left/right lay?

I lie with the zip on my left side and my head to left of the centre line and my feet to right of the centre line. Is that left lying?

Hammock
    HH / DD
    Tarp
    HH Hex / DD 3x3
    Insulation
    DD underblanket
    Suspension
    original
    Yes, I might be able to get some photos to amuse everyone , although at the moment we're having terrible weather and I don't think I can find anywhere to hang it up to get decent pictures either.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraR View Post
    Ehm, what is left/right lay?

I lie with the zip on my left side and my head to left of the centre line and my feet to right of the centre line. Is that left lying?
    That is a right lay.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Yes, the position of the feet defines the lay.

Personally, I don't think the lay is necessarily the problem. You say you move around a lot. I wake up in a variety of positions (both sides, back, star, soles of feet together), which means, the issue would still occur if I preferred a right lay. As a left-lay sort of person, just watching someone get in a hammock with a right lay wigs me out - it's just *wrong*! Ha! ... for me. If you're happy in your HH and the right lay didn't make you feel like you were fighting something innate in you, then don't worry about it. You could try flipping it upside-down and trying a left lay, just to confirm, if you really want to.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    slide more to the foot area of the hammock.....it sounds like you're up too high. I've got the Explorer UL, and I've never had that problem. However, I always slide down so my head is below the area where is starts to really draw up into the gathering at the end.

Also, laying on the diagonal can mean different things. Experiment with how far out of line you are laying.

Pics would help.

• + New Posts