Grand Trunk - SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue Wilderness
    Insulation
    SnugPak UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy chain straps

Total Newbie who's on a budget and got sucked into Amazon Hammocks

I do not yet own a hammock, but I'm currently hooked on the idea of getting one. All my life as a kid I've camped one or two times a year with family in a tent, but never knew hammock camping existed (even in the middle of nowhere, PA) until just last week when I saw a couple laying in a big hammock who stayed overnight at 1000 steps (central PA attraction). Now I'm seeing everyone say things like "best sleep you'll ever have," "I'll never sleep in another tent again," "way better, cheaper, and easier than a tent," etc. For that reason, coupled with the fact my best friend and I have been discussing getting into hiking on a more serious note compared to our current occasional 1-3 hour hikes locally, I really want to get one.

Now, the less awesome news, my budget is very small right now and for a few months it will remain that way. I've run into a ton of "best rated" hammocks on Amazon with thousands and thousands of awesome reviews by people that seem to know what they are doing and do week long hangs in them with no problems. I've also done my research on here while lurking without an account and saw everyone say "don't trust Amazon hammocks." So, would it be a bad idea to get a hammock that is at least 10 foot (I'm 6'1" 170lbs) and a "double" size on Amazon for like 30 bucks, get a budget 35-45 degree sleeping bag, and a Hennessey double bubble pad to just simply try it out a night or two? The companies on Amazon who are the best rated (Bear butt, Yukon outfitters, Legit Camping, Winner Outfitters, etc) often have a no questions asked policy where if you don't like it you get refunded and KEEP the hammock...so I feel like it's a win-win even if I test one of them. Provided the size is right and I sleep in it correctly it shouldn't "ruin" my thoughts on hammock camping..I'm not that closed minded. I appreciate any advice or help.

I was gonna make an intro post but didn't get around to it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. I would recommend staying away from the hammocks on Amazon and go with either a DIY hammock or one of the inexpensive hammocks like the ones SimplyLightDesigns sells here:
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...products_id/83

These are very good quality hammocks and are about as inexpensive as you can purchase for a hammock that will last you.

Also check out Dutchware Gear offerings they are very good hammocks as well.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-gear/hammocks.html/

Any hammock you buy from one of the cottage vendors, if you find you don't like hammock camping, you can sell them on here for almost what you paid for them. Once you get one I doubt you will be selling it though.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    i think the op is on the right track.

hammock camp is a system and a craft maker will makd the best you tell them to, but basic hammocks are simple and if you don't want to geek out on fabris Amazon will be fine.

a cheap sleeping bag is fine but consider snugpaks hammock offerings or apex quilts.

a generic tarp will be fine, but craft tarps are lighter

dont go cheap on bug nets. you get whT you pay for. if you wanta netted hammock,go craft.

dont make it complicated if you are just testingit out

Hammock
    Grand Trunk - SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue Wilderness
    Insulation
    SnugPak UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post
    i think the op is on the right track.

hammock camp is a system and a craft maker will makd the best you tell them to, but basic hammocks are simple and if you don't want to geek out on fabris Amazon will be fine.

a cheap sleeping bag is fine but consider snugpaks hammock offerings or apex quilts.

a generic tarp will be fine, but craft tarps are lighter

dont go cheap on bug nets. you get whT you pay for. if you wanta netted hammock,go craft.

dont make it complicated if you are just testingit out
    I know for a fact if I got a higher quality cottage hammock I'd love it and be happy with it 9/10 times or more, but this is how I'm seeing it in my mind ^

As long as an amazon hammock will get me by for a few nights just fine, then I'll eventually upgrade and can get my money back for it anyway due to their guarantee. I have saved a few snug pack items in my wish list on Amazon because they seem like a good cheap option. All of my statements in my original post are basically a "will this work for a temporary solution to see if I like it?"

The bug net is something I won't cheap out on for sure though because I hate bugs on me especially when sleeping lol

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    You'll probably spend $40-60 for one of the decent Amazon offerings. Don't forget that you'll also need a decent suspension to go with it, and those are another $20-30 on Amazon. I believe you can pick up a Warbonnet Traveler- which comes with a quality suspension for less than $70, and it's going to be a much better hammock than any Amazon offering. Dream Hammock's Free Bird is another great hammock for around the same price.

I'm not saying not to get an Amazon hammock (my first hammock was a Grand Trunk from Amazon). Just know that you can go cottage for basically the same price when it's all said and done.

Hammock
    DW Half-Wit / DW Netless / Darien
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS
    On of my co-workers has just done this. He went on his own buying an Amazon hammock. Then asked me if he made a good choice.
    I told him to bring his in, and I'll bring mine in.
    He bought the Winner Outfitters.
    I picked his up and started to laugh. The thing weighed a ton. (exaggerating of course.) He lifted mine and very surprised at the weight difference.
    Another coworker stated lifting a feather compared to an anvil.
    He is now thinking of returning his Amazon purchase.
    I told him if he is car camping, no problem. If you are backpacking, I'd find another hammock.
    It will cost a little more upfront to get a good hammock, but you won't have to buy items twice.
    Several venders here sell great, light, netless hammocks for around $45. Get some whoopie slings / tree huggers and you'll really enjoy your hammock experience.

Also the footprint of the Amazon was much larger, taking up a lot more space.

I have used a cutequeen double branded Amazon hammock for probably about 300 nights. I have no problems recommending this to anyone who wants to give it a shot. Last week these hammocks were 15 bucks. My next hammock will be a diy.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk - SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue Wilderness
    Insulation
    SnugPak UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy chain straps
    Okay, so unless something strongly makes me decide to do a cheapo Amazon hammock I might go the route of the Dutchware Half-Wit because it caught my eye in the past even when eyeing 25 dollar Amazon hammocks. It's light, has an integrated bug net solution (saves me money vs buying one or using a crappy Amazon bug net integrated one), it has the knotty mod built in which seems really useful, and has the option of including whoopie hook w/ straps for a reasonable price. Anyone that would recommend a better option? Should I get the whoopies and straps with the hammock or outsource with another brand that's cheaper?

Since it's out of my budget I might buy it with the ol credit card and that'll give me a month to pay it off ��

Edit: 2.4 or 1.6? I'd like to use it part time to lounge with my girlfriend possibly so I'm leaning towards 2.4..

There are three potential issues that you have to be aware of with Amazon hammocks that the average person is not always aware of:
    1.Weight...not an issue if you are trying it out in the back yard or car camping, but could make it useless for backpacking.
    2.Quality (both material and stitching) ..again not an issue if you are just trying it out.
    3.Lay...many cheap hammocks don't allow a good flat diagonal lay (they are designed to lay like a banana) .. most people don't care if they are taking a nap in the back yard, but a big deal if you sleep overnight. This is a huge issue as you will never find out if the hammock is really comfortable.

Free to ignore 1 and 2 in your pursuit of a cheap experiment, but please make sure to do your research to see that whatever you buy lends itself well to a good flat diagonal lay. Also remember in your comparisons that you can get a Warbonnet Traveler complete with suspension and ridge line for $60 (this was my "experiment" that I ended up using for years) or a complete 11 foot system from Dutch for less than $100 that you might be satisfied with forever, and both can be easily resold here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast