Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Exclamation Dream Hammock Thunderbird vs Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

Okay guys, I need some help! I am about to buy a hammock and used to think that I absolutely had to have a top cover, so the price difference between the Thunderbird and XLC with the topcovers price wise was really the only reason that I chose to go with DH. Now I am waiting on responses from my post on Overcover Thoughts to decide whether it is the right fit for me.

So herein lies my dilemma:

I absolutely love the Idea of having a gear shelf and foot box that the XLC offers, and it was my original pick. Then after looking into top covers I decided that I needed one, and that put the XLC out of my budget.

Then, I found Dream Hammocks and fell in love with them (via pictures, no real life experience) as well as their cheaper price point with cheaper topcovers.

I am starting to think that a top cover is not for me, and If that is the case I am leaning towards the XLC, unless someone can change my mind!

So my question: What should I get? Has anyone used both? Help! I am scheduled to meet with the Smith's from Dream Hammock tomorrow to test different hammocks out and see what features I like, but I don't want to waste their time if it's not going to be the right hammock for me. I want this purchase to be the last Hammock that I ever buy (for myself. I am already biting at the bit to get my 7 week old in a hammock!).

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    I want this purchase to be the last Hammock that I ever buy (for myself.
    Hahaha...impossible.

If you meet with the Smurfs you will probably buy one of their hammocks but your mind will always wonder about the BBXLC.

If you skip the Smurf meeting and buy the XLC your mind will always wonder what you could have had with dream hammock.

You're destined to own both. Which one should you buy first? Buy the one that will give you the most emotional satisfaction. They will both be technically excellent in every way. It's about which one you have a stronger heart pull towards. After that wears off, then buy the other one. It's how I've ended up with 14 hammocks so far in only a year and a half.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I don't have any experience with the Dream Hammocks, but I am super addicted to the gear shelf on my WBBB XLC. The gear shelf has me so spoiled that I can't imagine camping in a shelfless hammock!

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Hahaha...impossible.

You're destined to own both. Which one should you buy first? Buy the one that will give you the most emotional satisfaction. They will both be technically excellent in every way. It's about which one you have a stronger heart pull towards. After that wears off, then buy the other one. It's how I've ended up with 14 hammocks so far in only a year and a half.
    Lol! Fortunately I am not a collector. If I would ever buy a new hammock it's because the current one isnt fitting the bill, and there's no reason for me to keep it. Now, I did contemplate keeping my HH Explorer for friends to use who don't have hammocks, but my wife would rather me sell it. Plus, I only go backpacking 3-5 times a year, so I don't use them enough (as I lie in my HH hung up in my spare room) to warrant 14! (Let alone do I have the budget, as my wife is a brand new stay at home mother )

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Hahaha...impossible.

If you meet with the Smurfs you will probably buy one of their hammocks but your mind will always wonder about the BBXLC.

If you skip the Smurf meeting and buy the XLC your mind will always wonder what you could have had with dream hammock.

This might be the best response I've seen to a "which one to buy" question. Very well stated.

I have a Dream Hammock and love it in every way, but I still wonder about the XLC and unfortunately haven't ever had the chance to experience one. A few times each year I almost pull the trigger on one. Regardless of your decision, I think you'll be happy and end up with a top notch hammock.

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    This might be the best response I've seen to a "which one to buy" question. Very well stated.

I have a Dream Hammock and love it in every way, but I still wonder about the XLC and unfortunately haven't ever had the chance to experience one. A few times each year I almost pull the trigger on one. Regardless of your decision, I think you'll be happy and end up with a top notch hammock.
    I was thinking the same thing. The Smith's have helped me out so much and have been so great to deal with, I would probably feel better buying from them, especially after meeting them in person. Plus, if they have a floor model that fits the bill, I could get my hammock immediately, instead of waiting 4 weeks!

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Dream Hammocks, but I am super addicted to the gear shelf on my WBBB XLC. The gear shelf has me so spoiled that I can't imagine camping in a shelfless hammock!
    That was my thought too, but I've gotten by so far without one, so I know it snot going to be the end of the world not to get have one on this next hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    That was my thought too, but I've gotten by so far without one, so I know it snot going to be the end of the world not to get have one on this next hammock.
    Totally true! And you won't miss what you've never experienced. Right now you aren't used to having a gear shelf so still not having one really won't be a big deal.

Images
    Well I don't have 14 hammocks like Kroma but I do own the two you are talking about.
    I love the XLC for windy Spring and Fall hangs in Colorado. I use my Custom Dream hammy for true winter hangs.

You can't go wrong with either makers.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast