Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I was trying to make a similar decision for months. I saved up for a long time because I thought the WBBB XLC was the one for me, but so many people loved their DreamHammocks. I met the Smurfs in Ocala at HangCon17 and talked to them for about an hour and I was totally impressed by the quality of the hammocks and by how amazing they were. I ended up ordering a DangerBird and it should arrive in a few days. I ordered mine at least 6 weeks after meeting them and they totally remembered me and the conversation we had. I think I made the right decision. I can't wait to try it out.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I think you are going to be very happy with your dangerbird
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I have three DHs and just recently gave away the original Warbonnet Blackbird to a friend. So right there you can see which one I prefer. I'm interested in trying out the XLC, but think I might find the same problem with it as I did the original BB: I just didn't care for the feel of the fabric & stretch.

As someone above said, I think a hammock's comfort comes down to person preference. Some people like felt jackets more than leather or denim or what-have-you. It's simply preference. It's a blessing and a boon in being a hammock owner.

Btw, I did like the concept of the shelf in the BB, but I just couldn't find it as comfortable as my DHs so I never ended up using it much. I recently sent back on of my DH hammocks and had a peak shelf added (with with a twist). I LOVE the new peak shelf modification (they said they'd make all future peak shelves this way).

So, the best thing to do is to find a group hang near you and go try out lots of hammocks. This will give you ideas about what you may like. Also, you can always sell your hammock here and apply those funds to your next hammock (or just keep your original hidden away to try out at random times). :-)

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
    I have three DHs and just recently gave away the original Warbonnet Blackbird to a friend. So right there you can see which one I prefer. I'm interested in trying out the XLC, but think I might find the same problem with it as I did the original BB: I just didn't care for the feel of the fabric & stretch.

As someone above said, I think a hammock's comfort comes down to person preference. Some people like felt jackets more than leather or denim or what-have-you. It's simply preference. It's a blessing and a boon in being a hammock owner.

Btw, I did like the concept of the shelf in the BB, but I just couldn't find it as comfortable as my DHs so I never ended up using it much. I recently sent back on of my DH hammocks and had a peak shelf added (with with a twist). I LOVE the new peak shelf modification (they said they'd make all future peak shelves this way).

So, the best thing to do is to find a group hang near you and go try out lots of hammocks. This will give you ideas about what you may like. Also, you can always sell your hammock here and apply those funds to your next hammock (or just keep your original hidden away to try out at random times). :-)
    Do you have a picture of the new peak shelf?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Hopefully these photos do it justice. The problem I had with the old peak shelf (one of my Thunderbird has one), is that when I lay in it it tilts to the side and things fall out. I'm sure I was just doing it wrong, but this slight update fixes it for me.
    170325_185636_IMG_4664.jpg
    170325_185643_IMG_4665.jpg
    170325_185822_IMG_4666.jpg

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    . I LOVE the new peak shelf modification (they said they'd make all future peak shelves this way).
    I'm glad the new peak shelf design is working well for you Mark.
    I think it is a definite improvement

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That does look good! I'll have to try to do something similar with mine!

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* inc/ 20*Burw
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    My first hammock was a Darien Dream Hammock. I got it a year ago and have been in love with Hammock camping ever since.

Recently I got a Warbonnet xlC. I've been hanging in it at a local park and in my home (recently set up an indoor spot). I have yet to take it for an overnight camp, but am planning on that this weekend with the Warbonnet.

So far, although I do find the Warbonnet roomy and comfortable, the Darien dream hammock is more simple and more comfortable to me. Maybe it's just that it's my first hammock and I'm more used to it, but after about a week of hanging in my Warbonnet I broke out my Darien last night and I was really impressed with how much more comfortable it felt and how much more simple it is. The Warbonnet is a bit more involved in setting up properly I find. I do like the Warbonnet, it is different and is very comfortable, but personally I find the Darien dream hammock to be a superior hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Hopefully these photos do it justice. The problem I had with the old peak shelf (one of my Thunderbird has one), is that when I lay in it it tilts to the side and things fall out. I'm sure I was just doing it wrong, but this slight update fixes it for me.
    170325_185636_IMG_4664.jpg
    170325_185643_IMG_4665.jpg
    170325_185822_IMG_4666.jpg
    I like that! Is this the standard design now, or is there something I need to specially ask for?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I like that! Is this the standard design now, or is there something I need to specially ask for?
    I believe it is standard -- but they are more than willing to field any questions you throw at them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345