Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    chameleon 1.6
    Insulation
    loco libre
    Suspension
    straps, beetles.

dutch's asym tarp.

any reviews from users regarding this tarp, thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Truthfully I haven't used mine outside yet but having set it up and looked it over indoors I can tell you it looks like a great piece of gear. It won't block you fully from wind on both sides, but it doesn't look like it's meant as a full RL to ground tarp, but it will be the perfect tarp for most of my hanging which will be in Summer or in moderate shoulder months. And for the price I think it's one of the best tarps out there.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Dream Raven
    Tarp
    Dutch ASYM wide
    Would this work better with a continuous ridgeline or would the stingerz be quicker for adjustments?

I have this tarp and I can say that I really love the xenon material. It's light an packs up super small. I even had a please of being caught in a pretty heavy downpour that lasted most of the night and while it did keep my dry from above, the design isn't shielded the best from blowing rain. The only way around this is to set the tarp up pretty low and tight to the hammock.

I did appreciate the additional tie out points on the tarp and would recommend using stingers as it allowed me to quickly alter the pitch of the tarp and set it up in "storm mode" as he shows in the video for the tarp. This gave me a little bit of extra protection from the rain and is probably what saved me from waking up wet in the morning.

Even with the heavy rain there was very little water absorbed into the tarp material itself. When I was packing it up, I gave the outside a quick wipe with my small microfiber travel towel and only had a few sports that were wet due to rain being caught in some small areas due to wrinkling of the tarp at the top because it doesn't have a ridgeline so you can net get a 100% taught pitch. You can see this in the videos Dutch posted.

I wouldn't recommend this as your solo year-round tarp due to the lack of protection from blowing rain, but if you're looking for something light, super packable, and a great DIY project due to not having to sew a ridge line, it's a fantastic tarp.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I started with a Hennessy ASym tarp. After being rained out in several coastal storms, I learned how to pitch the fly properly to prevent getting soaked.

I am going to DIY another A sym to keep light showers off my RR. I have a beautiful red tarp (Gargoyle style) it is great but very ample. My DIY Asym will work to keep my Spindrift from drowning.
    Ahttps://www.hammockforums.net/forum/search.php?search_type=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post& forumchoice[]=123sy

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by catastrophedude View Post
    I have this tarp and I can say that I really love the xenon material. It's light an packs up super small. I even had a please of being caught in a pretty heavy downpour that lasted most of the night and while it did keep my dry from above, the design isn't shielded the best from blowing rain. The only way around this is to set the tarp up pretty low and tight to the hammock.

I did appreciate the additional tie out points on the tarp and would recommend using stingers as it allowed me to quickly alter the pitch of the tarp and set it up in "storm mode" as he shows in the video for the tarp. This gave me a little bit of extra protection from the rain and is probably what saved me from waking up wet in the morning.

Even with the heavy rain there was very little water absorbed into the tarp material itself. When I was packing it up, I gave the outside a quick wipe with my small microfiber travel towel and only had a few sports that were wet due to rain being caught in some small areas due to wrinkling of the tarp at the top because it doesn't have a ridgeline so you can net get a 100% taught pitch. You can see this in the videos Dutch posted.

I wouldn't recommend this as your solo year-round tarp due to the lack of protection from blowing rain, but if you're looking for something light, super packable, and a great DIY project due to not having to sew a ridge line, it's a fantastic tarp.
    +1 on being ultra light and really small pack size. And +1 on the fact that it looks like if you get into sideways rain you can bring it down close and make do. BanjerDan, I'd go with the Stingerz just for quick adjustment. The beauty of this hammock is it's versatility. It kind of changes to the condition you need. Maybe they should rename it the Chameleon. Although I think that name may already be taken.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I made one, since the kit was cheap, I wanted a project, and I was curious about an asym.

It's a good tarp/kit. I haven't taken it out, because what I learned, is that it is too small for me to be comfortable with. I'm just more cautious as I get older I guess? I even added more tieouts for more pitching options, even being able to pull a corner back as a sort of door, for more coverage then dutch's extra timeout. I believe it would keep me dry, but it's only a few ounces lighter then the Silpoly hex I just made that provides much more coverage.

Aesthetically the puckered ridgeline bothers me also. It a personal thing that I realize does not impede the tarps usability. If I go with an asym in the future I'll do a bias cut .9 asym. It's the same coverage, lighter weight, and no puckered ridge!

I'll keep it as a loaner tarp, or dining fly for small groups. For the price, I recommend it if you are willing to have an oops or two if it isn't pitched perfectly for conditions. It's definitely better then a regular asym for coverage!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY Costco
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I also wanted a project and couldn't say no to the $25 price on Dutch's website. I'm happy with how it turned out and really like Derek Hansen's 2 carabiner CRL. While I admit that I took my time and it's only the third piece of gear I've made, it took longer than I anticipated. Dutch's instructions estimate 1-2 hours, I'd say it took me about 10 spaced over three evenings after work.

Coming from the Mamajamba, I am leery about coverage...I may add the grosgrain side tieouts to control the tarp on the wind. Behold!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    It looks good. Those asym tarps will shock you in how well they'll cover if your lay is right. Not much for wind driven rain, but falling rain.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Nice stitching
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast