Cold Weather - partial gear

Hello all,
    I've camped a few times in a Hammock and absolutely love it. I had planned on doing some cold weather camping and purchased a few items, but didn't have everything I needed and the opportunity never presented itself.

I'm a fairly cold sleeper. I have a ENO Hammock, 0 degree Incubator Hammock Gear underquilt with 1oz overstuff and a Winter Dream tarp. That's the good stuff.

My sleeping back is only a 35 degree back NEMO Mezzo Loft sleeping bag and hasn't proven to be too warm. I have gone down as low as 39 degrees, but also had on EXTREME Cold weather base layer and a $19.99 down quilt from Costco. I was plenty warm, actually too warm at times.

With the above information, how much warmth would you think the down quilt would add to the overall rating if it were inside the sleeping bag. I'll be staying by myself and it's supposed to get to about 28 degrees. I HATE sleeping cold.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    10º......maybe. Could go lower if warm when going to sleep, use a hot water bottle, wear hood hat and all that.
    Only one way to find out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I agree with Shug. The down quilt will likely add about 10 degrees of warmth to your sleep system. If possible, I would recommend testing the limits of your gear at home before going out with it. Also, +1 to the hot water bottle idea.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops
    I'm a noobie to hammocks but not winter camping. One thing I've noticed about sleeping bags is they often have a smooth synthetic inner fabric. When it touches your body, this can make a cold spot and the bag feels colder than something with a rough flannel-like texture. You may just need a bag liner to feel warmer. Something like a flannel or cotton sheet might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I agree with Shug. The down quilt will likely add about 10 degrees of warmth to your sleep system. If possible, I would recommend testing the limits of your gear at home before going out with it. Also, +1 to the hot water bottle idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
    I'm a noobie to hammocks but not winter camping. One thing I've noticed about sleeping bags is they often have a smooth synthetic inner fabric. When it touches your body, this can make a cold spot and the bag feels colder than something with a rough flannel-like texture. You may just need a bag liner to feel warmer. Something like a flannel or cotton sheet might do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    10º......maybe. Could go lower if warm when going to sleep, use a hot water bottle, wear hood hat and all that.
    Only one way to find out.
    Shug
    Thanks Guys... I was going to take your advice on the water bottle, but at the last minute my wife decided to join - and I left it sitting on the counter. However, she wanted to take the tent. Sooooo.. she slept in it with the dog and I used the Hammock. I used her Incubator 0 over my sleeping bag and was as toasty warm as could be. It was rather difficult to keep it tucked in correctly, so I attached on end to my suspension at the foot and the other end to my ridgeline just above my head. It kept is somewhat in place most of the night. Now, I KNOW I'm getting Hammock Gear top quilt. What a great weekend for a quick camping trip. I love Red River Gorge in KY.
    IMG_0226.jpgIMG_0267.jpg

• + New Posts