Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sliding down...

Sliding down...

...or... Why are my feet up?

There is probably a thread already about this. But I cannot seem to find it! Anyway, I always seem to find myself scooted down in my hammock with my feet way up and out of my under quilt. I just scootch back up and go to sleep.

Is there some adjustment that I have wrong? I was thinking shorter ridgeline. Really not sure. Left/right lay, higher or lower suspension, always my center of gravity ends up in the middle of the hammock and my feet are out.

Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Feet up is normal. I use a 3/4 UQ (mostly) and so the feet are out from the UQ by design. the TQ is designed to wrap the feet. The feet are not heavy enough to compress the down all that much, plus with feet up, there is even less pressure. My pack has a foam insert and I could use that to extend under my feet. So far, I've only had it cold enough and only had my 3/4, to have to do that once.
    I guess the question is, How MUCH is you feet "up"? Are they cold? What is TQ? Socks on?
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is exactly why most opinions are to hang your foot end of the hammock 6-8" or even more than the head end. This will keep you from sliding, all but eliminate calf ridge and offers a very comfortable lay.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If you're sitting down to the foot end.......raise it!! About a foot is the norm. Don't worry, you'll still be laying level.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    For most of us, our center of gravity is skewed toward our top. Hanging the foot-end of the hammock approximately a foot higher than the head-end is common advice. The sensation I look for is more pressure on my shoulder blades than my butt.

Good Luck
    Last edited by OCDave; 03-03-2017 at 00:50.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Your greatest part of your pass will center in the hammock based on gravity. To correct as TrailSlug said you need to hang the foot end of the hammock slightly higher than your head end to even out where the lowest point of the hammock ends up being. Your torso with more mass then your legs will always pull towards the gravitational low point. Just moving your foot end a few inches higher than the head end will correct your weight distribution in the hammock so you're not sliding around.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

That's a super easy fix. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Yep, you can even calculate it... Your hips are your center of gravity, and your COG will ALWAYS slide down to the lowest point of your hammock.

However, another factor is this: if your feet are too high, it probably means you're also not angling your lay enough, and/or your hammock is maybe hanging too tight, so you can't lay at a proper angle if you wanted to.

So first, Shug gives a pretty good demo of how to get your angled lay in his calf ridge video... So DO that.. if your hammock won't let you do that, you need to loosen the hang until your feet are the proper height when you're at the angled lay.

I actually DON'T raise my foot end...I don't need to...I don't care where I slide down to, not as long I'm comfortable.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    Yep, you can even calculate it... Your hips are your center of gravity, and your COG will ALWAYS slide down to the lowest point of your hammock.

However, another factor is this: if your feet are too high, it probably means you're also not angling your lay enough, and/or your hammock is maybe hanging too tight, so you can't lay at a proper angle if you wanted to.

So first, Shug gives a pretty good demo of how to get your angled lay in his calf ridge video... So DO that.. if your hammock won't let you do that, you need to loosen the hang until your feet are the proper height when you're at the angled lay.

I actually DON'T raise my foot end...I don't need to...I don't care where I slide down to, not as long I'm comfortable.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    I must have missed that video, gonna go find that now. Thanks!

My hips are not my COG, that part of the problem. I have a 30 waist and a 40 chest.... All upper body. Sucks buying clothes. 😁

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    This sort of goes along with the other thread going right now with the main topic being calf ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast