WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post
    Get another wasp or fly. Or take your hook and knot it to the line in the middle and come back around the tree with a looped end back to the hook
    That's genius! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Lots of good enough here for new hangers like myself. Thanks for all the info.

Hammock
    ENO/Exped. Asym Zip.
    Tarp
    Asym. Zip Fly
    Insulation
    Costco Down UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Thank you all!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Thats all some great advice up there, and also what I would say, and since it's been said already, I figured I'd toss this little nugget into the mix as well:

You're only limited by your own creativity!

Honestly.

People have come up with all kinds of ways to do things, and share the ones that work, but plenty of people who didn't know "the right way" came up with their own methods and sometimes these work better than the "right way."

Of course, there's also phrases like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." and "no sense reinventing the wheel" to consider
    But a lot of great innovation happens when something breaks, or someone leaves something important at home

That said, taking the time to learn basic knots while you're at home watching TV, or instead of adding to the political unrest on Facebook, opens up a lot of creative possibilities while you're out in the woods. I know when you look at the list of knots it's pretty intimidating, but the secret is that most of those knot names are all VARIANTS of the SAME FEW KNOTS!

So, learn the basic versions, then learning the other variants is not intimidating at all.

NEXT
    Remember that most of the factors that people put so much attention to on here are not crucial, even though it seems like it is... Cord stress, friction of cord against the tarp of itself, weight limitations, etc... Are they important? Sure, but as a practical matter, they aren't as important as people make them out to be unless you're riding that bleeding edge of ultralight usage, where you have everything trimmed to the absolute functional minimum, and all it takes is a poorly timed fart to blow out your hammock. Most of the given tolerances are intended to cover a certain amount of unplanned uncertainty, and a certain amount of user-error, and many people work outside of these tolerances with no issues. So yes, work within the tolerances, but know that if you happen to go a little bit outside the given tolerances, there's no reason to freak out, because there's a good amount of leeway there

Lastly, this forum celebrates DIY and creativity, and most people make their way to that section eventually... There's a lot that can be learned there, even if you don't intend to actually make anything yourself... Things like getting an idea of what goes into good gear construction, or important design considerations, or being able to recognize reasons for failure can help you buy good gear, or recognize signs of imminent failure before you actually put yourself at risk.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12