Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linen?

Hammock
    DIY linen 11’
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    I ordered a heavy weight linen from the store Jane.cassidy mentioned. I’d ordered from them before, but only their lighter weight stuff. Here

I actually have another thread started in the diy section asking for help with this stuff as I’m not sure how to suspend it.

Oh, and that site never seems to change their coupon code, so if you type “ilovelinen” in the code box, I think it is 7% off

Edit: thought I should include some fabric info while I’m here.
    1. Linen likes to unravel, so it is worth the time to hem the cut ends before washing. I like to sew the two cut ends to each other so the fabric makes a big loop before washing. Keeps it from tangling in the wash too much.
    2. Linen shrinks when washed, a lot. The 4 yards I started with was only 11’3” by the time I washed it and straightened it. It might be worth it to you to order an extra half yard.
    3. Linen will continue to shrink after the first wash. I usually wash linen at least 3 times on hot, dry on hot, before sewing. That usually takes care of it. It makes a ton of lint when drying, so don’t forget the lint tray.
    4. Like many fabrics, you’ll need to straighten the ends before sewing. I usually use the pulled thread method.
    5. I didn’t sew the long edges of mine. The selvages don’t unravel, and I kinda liked the way they looked. Hemming the sides would be for cosmetic reasons only, so that’s 22 less feet of sewing!
    Last edited by sherah; 10-21-2017 at 08:41.

Hammock
    DD Hammock Frontline, DraumR
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3*3 m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Can anyone tell me something about the fabric weight needed for the linen? The heaviest I can find is 15 oz, will that be strong enough?
    My plan is to make a kind of WW2 Navy hammock, only wider. With hemp nettles and sewn grommet eyelets.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Have a look at the World War II US Navy Hammock and Clew Tutorial. Derek says:
    My first replica was made from #12 Duck canvas, but that proved to be too thin and eventually ripped through at the grommets. I took the #12 from the pattern on the HMS Richmond site. I’ve found that the #4 (24-oz) Duck canvas is more in line with what my vintage hammock was made from.

Hammock
    DD Hammock Frontline, DraumR
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3*3 m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I have seen that, #12 seems to be 11.5 oz, so my 15 oz (505 g/m2) is just in between. Given that linen should be stronger than cotton it could be ok, I guess.

Converting these strange measurements always confuses me. In my tutorial the rope length of the nettles is measured in fathom

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12