Quote Originally Posted by ljane View Post
When I was hoping to test the hammock camping waters as inexpensively as possible, I ended up with a 9-foot hammock with an integrated bug net. I figured I’d upgrade if necessary, but it’s been over a year and I’m still in the same rig. It probably doesn’t help that I’m REALLY picky and don’t want to end up with a pile of gear I don’t use. For context, I’m 5’2”, 120#, and can sleep in just about any position, so I can always find a good way to lay regardless of variable conditions (distance between trees, etc.). And I actually find the calf ridge to be a good place to rest my feet!

If I could find the perfect next hammock, these are the things I’m considering:

-definitely a gathered end. I laid in a bridge hammock, and while I wasn’t worried I was going to fall out, it did feel quite a bit more “twitchy” or reactive to any movement. Since there are people who swear by their bridge hammocks, I’m guessing this is something you adapt to pretty quickly.

-I love the Chameleon’s peak shelf and am planning to make something similar for my hammock. (You can also buy them on Dutch’s site.) I don’t have any experience with Warbonnet’s footbox but imagine it adds similar functionality. Storage is key in a gathered end hammock, since everything that isn’t neatly packed away somewhere slides down to the lowest point. (Thank goodness my kindle has a sturdy cover!)

-possibly longer, though only because people say longer is more comfortable, so I don’t know whether it would matter to me. I did sleep a couple nights in a Chameleon (11’) and felt suffocated by all the fabric. Since that could have to do with the cut, I’d want to try other longer (rectangular?) hammocks for a comparison. If I don’t need to add the extra weight I won’t.

-removable bug net. Mine is sewn in, and since I don’t generally use the spreader bars that came with it, I sometimes end up breathing in a mouthful of net. Plus it might be nice to see the stars more clearly.

-I like the idea of a solid over-cover for cooler weather, though I’ve been comfy in my current hammock down to high single digits with my 0 degree quilts.

I was looking seriously at something from Dream Hammock, but I haven’t determined for sure that I’m a left lay. The fact that you can switch the lay on the Chameleon was appealing (plus the removable bug net and over-cover), but after the experience noted above, it’s no longer in the running.

Laura

My current favorite set up is Trail Lair hammock (from SLD) made out of Hexon 1.6 (perfect amount of stretch!). In the cold months I pair it with a Warbonnet Wooki XL (my favorite UQ) and tuck everything into a Warbonnet Winter Sock XL (which I prefer over my WBBB XLC winter top cover and over my DH Thunderbird winter over cover).