Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I only have the WBBB to reference for a hammock, but I like it. It has good shelf storage and the footbox is handy. It is pretty big too. I did splurge for a Chameleon and once I get it I will be able to compare the hammocks and give you some ideas as the Chameleon has a different fabric entirely.

Anyone worried about the dog ripping the fabric of the hammock with their claws inadvertently? I would be worried to let Keji in with me just because of that, plus she is a bit of a bed hog.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl lyr HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane Hex
    Insulation
    DIY EE 850fp Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I made and use a double layer, 1.0 HyperD, gathered end, 11' hammock. I am 5'10" and 180#. It is the same thing I have made for my 13 year old son and now my 16 year old daughter. She is 5'9" and 135#. The double layer allows us to slip the ZRest pad (or other) in for a night of comfort and no slipping/squishing/sliding out from the pad.

I am a Boy Scout leader and a Venturing adult adviser. The Scouts are making double layer, ripstop, gathered end, 11' hammocks. All of the Venturers (half young women) are also making double layer, gathered end, 11' hammocks.

Mine is Fuchsia inside and Moroccan blue. Brother's is dark and light blue. Sister's is hot pink inside and donuts outside! Photo of her fabrics below (she is off in the world with her new hammock now so no photos yet):
    Attachment 148827
    --
    moniquews

Adults are obsolete children. ~Dr. Seuss

Hammock
    Hexon, self-crafted
    Tarp
    Xenon 1.1 hexagona
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie! home-made
    Images
    I just made my own out of Hexon 1.0, 11 ft so my I can lay flatter with my womanly body. I made a video if you want to see what I did and why.

Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    Caution with the dog. Don't let it in unless your ready to have it in all the time. They prefer a hammock to the ground too. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Ha ha, I've hung my hammock in my backyard a couple times and my girl dog jumps in and cuddles up. I wouldn't have expected that. My boy dog would make short work of any bug netting though, slash, slash. He likes luxury too.

HI,
    i am a cold sleeper. Thinking to move into hammocking. I am looking at a 4 season, not too claustrophobic hammock instead of my tent. I like the Clark NX-270 as it looks like ti holds at low temp and if needed can be used as tent.
    Any lady has experience with it? is it comfortable not just to sleep but to change clothes, etc

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Well, when I responded to this thread last March, my answer, hands down, was that you just can't beat a Warbonnet XLC single layer 1.7 for comfort. Still can't beat that, but I found something that definitely equals it and is less expensive...a single layer Hexon 1.6 Simply Light Design's Trail Lair! When it comes to choosing which hammock to take, the Trail Lair has been the one that's made it into my backpack my last three trips!

The Trail Lairs with their integrated bug net and zippered entry on either or both sides are definitely worth considering! Also, the turn around time on them is crazy fast for a custom made hammock...choose your options late tonight and put your order in and more than likely, Jared will have it in the mail to you tomorrow morning. No kidding! He sews all night when orders come in! And he's obviously a perfectionist. His hammocks are beautiful! And COMFORTABLE! And if you put one of Dutch's Peak Shelves in it, you have as much storage space as the Blackbird's shelf gives you! Sweet!

I love both the elegance of my Blackbird XLC and the clean, simple lines of my Trail Lair. Can't go wrong with either one!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Insulation
    Potomac 3S UQ
    I haven't tried anything else, but I love the simple setup for the Hennessy Expedition Asym Classic. I needed easy. I am super comfortable in it and even slept on my side in it! My son can actually curl up in a ball in his and still be comfy. I wanted something with a bug net built in, and I love the snakeskins . . . it makes take down a breeze.

I may fall in love with another hammock someday, but for now this is the hammock for me + the one I'd recommend

When I was hoping to test the hammock camping waters as inexpensively as possible, I ended up with a 9-foot hammock with an integrated bug net. I figured I’d upgrade if necessary, but it’s been over a year and I’m still in the same rig. It probably doesn’t help that I’m REALLY picky and don’t want to end up with a pile of gear I don’t use. For context, I’m 5’2”, 120#, and can sleep in just about any position, so I can always find a good way to lay regardless of variable conditions (distance between trees, etc.). And I actually find the calf ridge to be a good place to rest my feet!

If I could find the perfect next hammock, these are the things I’m considering:

-definitely a gathered end. I laid in a bridge hammock, and while I wasn’t worried I was going to fall out, it did feel quite a bit more “twitchy” or reactive to any movement. Since there are people who swear by their bridge hammocks, I’m guessing this is something you adapt to pretty quickly.

-I love the Chameleon’s peak shelf and am planning to make something similar for my hammock. (You can also buy them on Dutch’s site.) I don’t have any experience with Warbonnet’s footbox but imagine it adds similar functionality. Storage is key in a gathered end hammock, since everything that isn’t neatly packed away somewhere slides down to the lowest point. (Thank goodness my kindle has a sturdy cover!)

-possibly longer, though only because people say longer is more comfortable, so I don’t know whether it would matter to me. I did sleep a couple nights in a Chameleon (11’) and felt suffocated by all the fabric. Since that could have to do with the cut, I’d want to try other longer (rectangular?) hammocks for a comparison. If I don’t need to add the extra weight I won’t.

-removable bug net. Mine is sewn in, and since I don’t generally use the spreader bars that came with it, I sometimes end up breathing in a mouthful of net. Plus it might be nice to see the stars more clearly.

-I like the idea of a solid over-cover for cooler weather, though I’ve been comfy in my current hammock down to high single digits with my 0 degree quilts.

I was looking seriously at something from Dream Hammock, but I haven’t determined for sure that I’m a left lay. The fact that you can switch the lay on the Chameleon was appealing (plus the removable bug net and over-cover), but after the experience noted above, it’s no longer in the running.

Laura

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    You might want to look at simplylightdesigns.com's Trail Lair -- like the Chameleon, there is no dedicated lay.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ljane View Post
    ... I actually find the calf ridge to be a good place to rest my feet!
    If I could find the perfect next hammock, these are the things I’m considering:
    -definitely a gathered end. ...
    -I love the Chameleon’s peak shelf ...
    -possibly longer, though only because people say longer is more comfortable...
    -removable bug net. ...
    -I like the idea of a solid over-cover for cooler weather...
    Laura
    I've found plenty of uses for the calf ridge, too, if I happen to hang the hammock stupidly. Gathered end - yes - but I was introduced to hammocks with 13 foot cotton hammocks in the tropics, almost all over 60" wide. Fabric plays a big part in the comfort of the hammock. Fabric with a little bit of give will eliminate a lot of ridges, although some people like the fabrics that don't give at all. You just have to try to get somewhere where there are other hammocks to look at.

I recently gave in and made a nylon hammock 12 feet long, to approximate the 13 footers I had used at first, and honestly, I was disappointed. It was no more comfortable than any of the other lengths I have, although I only have one that is under 10 foot. I don't mind the extra fabric of the wider hammocks - it's a place I can rest an elbow or lean my head, or just wrap over me.

The sub 10-footer, that's a mosquito net hammock, and I rarely use it for the same reasons. I have a piece of bug net material that is long and wide enough for the hammock, and I just lay it over the ridgeline (a couple snaps on the ends to secure it) and I'm fine. But I'm not in Florida, either. Up here, mosquitoes bother us for a couple hours at night, or on a real humid day, then they go to bed.

I do the same thing as a winter over cover - a large piece of a little heavier nylon thrown over the ridgeline. You won't believe how much heat that helps retain and it doesn't weigh that much.

Hope you have a fun time figuring it all out.
    Last edited by tangara; 10-04-2017 at 11:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast