Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    YOU are in luck!! There is a hammock hang in Wisconsin this weekend!!! It's up in Door County @ Peninsula State Park.

Here's the thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pril-28th-30th

I know the people going and they are great! They can totally help you with EVERYTHING! They are people who got me into hammocking last year and taught me all I know.

I'll also going to private message you and and host for the weekend so you can connect. I hope you can attend or stop by!
    This feels like destiny.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cham102 View Post
    This does seem a little harsh but I will write it anyway.

I am not your leader. I don't speak for any woman but myself. I'm not just a hammock hangar but also an accomplished bushwhacker and bushcrafter. I really don't want to go into the woods with anyone, man, woman or child. I don't want to hear you whine, that you don't feel safe, you have to leave early to meet your boyfriend or do laundry. I don't want to hear your instructions on the proper way to do anything either, I'm out here on a monthly basis and you aren't. I don't want to hear you answer your cellphone, or post on Facebook about what a great time you are having with me. Please don't take a picture of me, I haven't combed my hair in 3 days and I'm filthy. Your politics are probably not my politics, and I don't want to listen to you. I go out into the woods to get away from all that for a couple of days to recharge. If you want to hammock then hammock. If you want to tent, then tent. Heck, don't do either and pay close attention to the weather if you want, sleep out!
    i guess the difference between you and me is that while i have a lot of skills, i also teach those outdoor skills and i do it in a fancy white hat with sparkles and a lavender bow.

i camp alone and with people in all weathers and seasons, and i invite strangers into my camp for tea and pie.

imma say this out loud for the ladies in the back: do the camping you like. do not be ashamed of how you like your camping. the reason i hammock is because i'm too old to be cold or uncomfortable. you're all welcome in my camp. there's pie.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by flask_ehrlenmeyer View Post
    i guess the difference between you and me is that while i have a lot of skills, i also teach those outdoor skills and i do it in a fancy white hat with sparkles and a lavender bow.

i camp alone and with people in all weathers and seasons, and i invite strangers into my camp for tea and pie.

imma say this out loud for the ladies in the back: do the camping you like. do not be ashamed of how you like your camping. the reason i hammock is because i'm too old to be cold or uncomfortable. you're all welcome in my camp. there's pie.
    Yes!!! If you've got it share it when you can, whether it's skills, loaned equipment, encouragement, acknowledgment of a novice's anxieties, a shared meal or coffee/tea and pie. It's amazing to me how much we can achieve with a kind word, a little help, and respectful consideration of others. Go alone or with a friend or a group as you please, colorful or not as you prefer (I sew to have the colors I want on a tight budget). I often think about my own challenges, the folks who have helped and encouraged me, and how experience has made me stronger and more resilient. Kindness, respect, and willingness to share our skills with another woman who wants to learn is the trifecta to get them started and may also lead to a lasting friendship. Besides, even if you prefer to go alone, it feels good to do good.

I've found it's pretty easy to spark interest among women who already hike with a tent and want to try hammock camping, even if it's just to lighten the pack. An indoor DIY hammock set-up is an easy and inexpensive way to allay anxieties about falling or sleep discomfort. If that goes well we can talk about camp set-ups, good meals (a perennial favorite topic, and you can carry more/better food if no tent), staying warm, safe, privacy, etc. If they're still interested we'll do a little guided tour around Hammock Forums.

If they get that far it's a great start. If they live in my area I might invite them to see and try out my set-up. As they learn about and acquire seasonal gear they can practice hammock camping, day or overnight in any season, secluded in the private woods around my house until they feel trail-ready. If they still prefer to pack a tent that's OK, no judgment. Nowadays arthritis and a spine injury have limited my trekking, so I'm now just an every-night hammocker indoors or outside on my property and occasional car-camping, but I have miles and decades of trail memories, alone and with a friend. I've slept indoors in a hammock nearly all my life, and I ditched my tent when I "discovered" outdoor hammock materials and methods. The learning curve was worth the effort. Now I like to encourage other women to get out there and experience the lighter load and IMO greater comfort of hammock camping.

The first step is to get the conversation started, maybe with a couple of pics of your last outing. And it's bound to go better when there's pie!

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    I think as a human race we can all be prone to excuses. I know change is a very difficult thing for many. For me the choice was simple. The pain of lying on the ground was becoming unbearable and making camping miserable for me. Give up camping (backcountry canoe camping) or FIND A NEW WAY!

So I accidentally stumbled onto a Shug video (thanks Shug) and was led here.

First excuse. Newly single and broke. BUT you want to camp right? So I found some cheap material and made my own hammock. My big splurge, a decent tarp. The rest all make do stuff from equipment I already had.

Second excuse. Privacy. Solution. A BIG tarp. A 4m X 4m gives tons of privacy. It can be configured into a full A frame style shelter and when staked at the second stakeout points at each end can have fully closed ends for full privacy.

Third excuse. Safety. The delusional and misplaced feeling of safety a tent somehow brings. Think of it. You're laying in your tent at night and you hear sounds in your campsite. You can't see what it is so it can't see you and you're safe right? LOL. Well you can close down your big a$$ tarp and be safe in your delusions. Good news is you can be safely out of reach of all the weather Mother Nature can throw at you. Bad news is that bear in camp still knows you're there and he's just waiting for you to be riper. Lol. Or more likely it's a raccoon scavenging your fire pit. Isn't it better to see that you're not about to die? I know I sleep much better after that. Of course the knife under my pillow and the axe and paddle nestled safely under my hammock just in case make me feel better too.

All tongue in cheek aside (hopefully some helpful tips were dispersed as well) the two hangs I've been on were all guys. A wonderful group of men whose interests were in sharing experiences, tips, equipment, good food and camaraderie around a warm campfire away from the cares of the world for a few days getaway. EGL GROUP YOU ARE GREAT! Everyone was extremely respectful of everyone else's privacy.

And now for a couple of tips that I hope may be of use for someone. You can now buy small pop up nylon 'johnnies' that may be useful as either a dressing area or place to wash up in. Or a tarp wrapped around a small close set group of trees can provide the same privacy. Also for us backcountry campers who use a thunderbox or 'cat hole' a small tarp stretched between a couple of trees or long stakes pounded into the ground can provide a nice 'wall'.

And now. Keep smiling. Keep camping. Be brave. Don't let the little things stop you from doing what you love.

HAMMOCKS RULE!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567