Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I try and get ladies who've never done anything else. While they don't know any different. Lol

I have extra gear: backpacks, hanmocks, insulations, tarps etc.. then take them out camping. Usually a backpacking trip with girls only. Lots of tea or coffee, short easy miles and yummy food. Camping lights really helped make them comfortable at night too.

Last year was the second official girls only trip. Some of those that went the time before helped me teach the new ones. We helped set them up and tuck them in at night. Teaching is the best way to learn of course, so we keep growing as a group. Now finding room for 10 hammocks will be a challenge this year. But we are up for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    IMO, cost and fiddle factor are deterrents. Selecting a hammock, suspension, tarp, top and bottom insulation can be overwhelming. Then setting them up between properly spaced trees takes practice. Picking a tent, pad and sleeping bag is so much easier although finding a proper site for the tent can be difficult. Once you experience the good night of sleep in a hammock with fewer aches and pains, hammocking is a no-brainer. I converted one friend and she has converted a few others. Alas, most of our buddies still choose tents. At least they camp!

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    First thread woohoo!!!

I started hammock camping because I have just come to terms with the fact that if I want to go camping, often that will mean that I have to go by myself. So selfishly, I am only thinking of myself and what I want. I am not caring anymore about accommodating what someone else wants to do, or how much head room they want in a tent so that they can stand upright when putting on pants. Hahaha. It feels great.

I don't know why more women don't hammock camp. I don't know why more women don't camp, period.

I think we definitely need to reach out more and show by example.

I'd like to see more women hammock camping on youtube. Sharing stories. Being supportive.

This new format here is great. Wtg Hammock Forums!
    I just started hammock camping and am persistently going by myself. My bf is the opposite of outdoorsy, and I have a foot issues that means I am not a long distance hiker at the moment. So far I've done two solo overnights with hammock only, and two late last year with hammock and backup tent in case I couldn't deal with actual sleeping. Still working on getting the set up right, I'm short so the trees that are feasible for me usually put my suspension at its shortest possible.

But this weekend I'm going on an overnight at a nearby state park (Ft McAllister in Richmond Hill, GA), with two women who are curious about hammock camping. So, we'll see how it all goes. Hopefully I will have some new recruits soon!

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    IMO, cost and fiddle factor are deterrents. Selecting a hammock, suspension, tarp, top and bottom insulation can be overwhelming. Then setting them up between properly spaced trees takes practice. Picking a tent, pad and sleeping bag is so much easier although finding a proper site for the tent can be difficult. Once you experience the good night of sleep in a hammock with fewer aches and pains, hammocking is a no-brainer. I converted one friend and she has converted a few others. Alas, most of our buddies still choose tents. At least they camp!
    I have yet to be fully comfortable in a hammock overnight. Upper back and neck curvature seems too be too much, but I'm hoping that is just a setup tweak that I need to figure out.

I am a couple of hrs from Charlotte and it seems like a great area for camping and hiking-- got any must-sees I should check out this summer?

I'm right there with ya on this. My husband does not do outdoors, I host a women's hike group but all of them are "scared" of backpacking. I even have extra gear I offered to let them borrow to check out to no avail. I just decided I would start going on my own and my family definitely doesn't dig that aspect. I've been talking about getting a blog or vlog up and going for a bit, since there's also not many Ketogenic hikers with info out. It's just the time consumption that's keeping me back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Dbl lyr HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane Hex
    Insulation
    DIY EE 850fp Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Almost 10 years ago my eldest son joined a Boy Scout troop. The first year I did not do any camping with them at all. The next year he and I shared a tent while a father and son hammock camped. I was one of those folks who didn't even want to sit in the hammock. I also didn't dig the idea of placing my sleeping bag around the hammock like they did. Another year on another boy joined the troop and he hammock camped in a single layer hammock and tarp he made himself (right on!). He convinced me to sit in his hammock and talk about the sewing (one of my favorite topics). His hammock was too short for me to get a good lie in as he made it for his 4.5' self and I am almost 6'. I could see the benefits to sitting in the hammock in camp and that was about it.

Fast forward a couple more years and my son convinced me to do a 50-miler. I carried 46# in the Wallowas/Eagle Cap area. We shared a tent again. I LOVED backpacking but knew I needed to get my pack MUCH lighter. New sleeping pad, new home made down camping quilt, new tarp tent and new backpack and my weight was significantly lighter but not quite where I want it to be yet. Enter hammocks - so much lighter than tents! I just dove into making my own hammock after reading a lot of Backpacking Light and Hammock Forums. I got to geek out on fabrics and suspensions and indulge my weight weenie self.

I backpack and hike and summer camp with the Boy Scouts all the time. I set up a little to the side. They have all been super respectful of my privacy (and let's face it I do not have a 15 year old girl's body anymore) and usually overnight my tarp is down to my lower calves and I wake up before they all do so changing out of longjohns into my hiking clothes is not an issue.

Several years ago we started a BSA Venturing Crew so my then 13 year old daughter could do the stuff her brothers were doing. There are a dozen young people in the Crew. About half are female and most of them are Boy Scout Sisters. It only took a couple backpack trips and they have ALL become convinced a hammock is the way to go. Less weight. More comfort. Just as easy to learn how to set up as a tent.

Lead by example (and get them young!)
    Last edited by MoniqueWS; 04-18-2017 at 10:25. Reason: spelling, missing words
    --
    moniquews

Adults are obsolete children. ~Dr. Seuss

Raised in Maine, student at Slippery Rock Univ.
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    COGS Winter
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MoniqueWS View Post
    Almost 10 years ago my eldest son joined a Boy Scout troop. The first year I did not do any camping with them at all. The next year he and I shared a tent while a father and son hammock camped. I was one of those folks who didn't even want to sit in the hammock. I also didn't dig the idea of placing my sleeping bag around the hammock like they did. Another year on another boy joined the troop and he hammock camped in a single layer hammock and tarp he made himself (right on!). He convinced me to sit in his hammock and talk about the sewing (one of my favorite topics). His hammock was too short for me to get a good lie in as he made it for his 4.5' self and I am almost 6'. I could see the benefits to sitting in the hammock in camp and that was about it.

Fast forward a couple more years and my son convinced me to do a 50-miler. I carried 46# in the Wallowas/Eagle Cap area. We shared a tent again. I LOVED backpacking but knew I needed to get my pack MUCH lighter. New sleeping pad, new home made down camping quilt, new tarp tent and new backpack and my weight was significantly lighter but not quite where I want it to be yet. Enter hammocks - so much lighter than tents! I just dove into making my own hammock after reading a lot of Backpacking Light and Hammock Forums. I got to geek out on fabrics and suspensions and indulge my weight weenie self.

I backpack and hike and summer camp with the Boy Scouts all the time. I set up a little to the side. They have all been super respectful of my privacy (and let's face it I do not have a 15 year old girl's body anymore) and usually overnight my tarp is down to my lower calves and I wake up before they all do so changing out of longjohns into my hiking clothes is not an issue.

Several years ago we started a BSA Venturing Crew so my then 13 year old daughter could do the stuff her brothers were doing. There are a dozen young people in the Crew. About half are female and most of them are Boy Scout Sisters. It only took a couple backpack trips and they have ALL become convinced a hammock is the way to go. Less weight. More comfort. Just as easy to learn how to set up as a tent.

Lead by example (and get them young!)
    That is super cool! I wish I could get some of my friends on board, but they all LOVE sleeping on rocks apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Music is the universal language of mankind
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Hammock
    HH / DD
    Tarp
    HH Hex / DD 3x3
    Insulation
    DD underblanket
    Suspension
    original
    I don't know if women are less likely to want to try hammocking, in our case I got a hammock first and then my DH got one too. But I can see how non-campers are more comfortable with the idea of trying to sleep in a tent than a hammock as most ppl are used to sleeping on a bed or the floir as kids, than in a hammock. But I think the privacy issuehas a lot to do with it too and can't be ignored. Getting changed out of sight while kneeling in a tent is just a bit awkward, whereas the thought of stripping off while standing in the open is a lot more daunting I'm sure.

Hammock
    Warbird BB xlc
    Tarp
    Agua Quest Guide L
    Insulation
    Ghost Pepper, C. R
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I think if the women continue to respond on here thinking much like the guys when they started this group talk year's ago (HF).
    With time and location information maybe more women will read, ask questions ghey may not feel comfortable asking being new. I get this, I teach women and men golf. I started a league for women newbies to get out and play in a comfortable group atmosphere. I heard every excuse from the ladies, but hardly ever from the men, they just go out and don't care. Women...well some will just go out and hang, but we don't find that many.
    How can we introduce more women? Events, do they have any hammock conventions out there for the public?
    "And into the Forest I Go... to Lose my Mind and Find my Soul"
    Unknown

Raised in Maine, student at Slippery Rock Univ.
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    COGS Winter
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think running events that are specifically for women will help get more on board, and make them feel more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Music is the universal language of mankind
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast