Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    xxljoyce - definitely research suggestions posted here. Do you watch The Game of Thrones where there are all these "kingdoms" - that's sort of what it is like here (except we all, mostly, get along). You have the Gathered End (GE) kingdom and the Bridge Hammock (uses spreader bars) Kingdom. And you have the Ultralites (a.k.a. weightweenies) vs "In my day we added rocks to our packs to make the trip longer: etc.

For example, you will see that although, today, Cuben Fiber (CF) is the lightest option - there are definite Pros and Cons - in addition to high cost.

I have many tarps; even had two OES tarps (I guess I was one of the lucky ones) before I sold the Ultra model. I have the benefit of being able to buy something, try it out, learn from it, and sell it where the difference in sales price (I try to give a 30% discount) is the cost of education. I've also experienced weather where I actually needed a tarp. That is, most the time I try to plan my camping when the weather is good - so I have a tarp but usually don't need it. For example, the main use of a small asymmetrical diamond tarp I had was to keep the moonlight out of my eyes when I went out at full moon time. It was like a spotlight in my face. So minimum coverage was fine. But then I had experiences in high wind and blowing rain and that changed my option.

One thing I like to impart to "beginners" is, "You will make mistakes; have fun with it." It's like xc skiing. I tell people that when they first learn to xc ski - as long as they don't stick to perfectly groomed trails, etc. the first season they will fall in ways they will never do again - and (given soft snow instead of packed ice) it's fun. Once I ended up with my legs crossed under myself, with each ski pinning the other ski. I couldn't just "get up". My friends promised to drop by every few days and deliver food. Those were good times.

So with your hammock camping, maybe you will forget eating utensils. Maybe you will forget and leave your suspension on the tree (especially if someone interrupts you while you are putting things away). All these "mistakes" provide an opportunity to be inventive.

I know it sounds great to make the correct/best choice at each encounter - but what's the fun it in that

The most universal advice you will get is to practice at home as much as possible before you go out. Reading the forum posts, you'll see there are subtle adjustments you can make to the angle of suspension, foot end height, pillow under knee, etc. Sometimes just a little tweak makes all the difference.

Finally, on this post, I see a few more Women Only sub-treads opening up. Maybe you can find someone in your area who has gear you can try out - just set up with you so you can say, "Oh, this is what a Ridge Runner is like." etc.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-02-2017 at 17:34.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Need a little help on a tarp

I really like the tadpole tarp from wilderness logics. it's almost the same tarp as the edge from warbonnet, about the same cost too. there's a few different color options just in case you want to have something a little different than what warbonnet offers.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I too am concerned with weight in my setup, but unless you wish to camp only in decent weather, I would recommend the bit of extra weight in a tarp with doors (superfly or similar) or a hex tarp with attachable doors (mamba jamba with door set). The superfly is less than 1 1/2 pounds fully rigged. In a bad storm, you will be grateful for the extra tarp size. If you are handy with a sewing machine, you could make a custom tarp. Mine is 1 pound; but it is made for a 9 to 9 1/2 foot DIY hammock (tarp is 9'9" long by 10' wide. I have used narrower and stayed dry, but certainly did wish for more tarp width. And as another person pointed out, maybe you will end up with a bridge hammock and a wider tarp will work better for those. Your hammock choice of a blackbird sounds good. I have a single that I do still use, comfortable, easy to set up; can't say much more than that. I do use an 11' x 8.6' cuben tarp with it (with doors). Whatever you decide, hammocks rock!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I too switched from a tent to the Warbonnet BB and Edge combination; because of a bad back. It sounds stupid, but the bugnet and the Edge did give me a more "tent" like secure feeling, until I became comfortable and enjoyed the fiddle factor of hammocking. However, because I wanted to extend my hangs into winter and I also discovered that my knowledge was somewhat lacking when true "Storm Mode" was needed; I switched to a full coverage tarp. In my case the HG CF Palace. If that had been unaffordable, I would have gone with the "Superfly".

Having now used the full coverage tarp in winter, high winds, and storms; my use of the Edge would be very limited and mainly Summer Time Dry Weather.

Finally, I am not a female and yet, I can appreciate the fact that my body ain't what it use to be. I must say, it is easier to be discrete and more privacy is afforded by the full coverage tarp than my previous Edge.

I would urge you to Sacrifice the weight (or money for a CF Tarp) and go Full Coverage to make hanging more enjoyable. I would consider the Superfly if CF is not in the cards.

PS. On my Channel I have a Video(s) that shows the Edge Set Up and then one that shows the CF Palace Tarp both over a 1.1 DL WBBB, if you would like to see them in the field so to speak.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

[[email protected];1752963]xxljoyce - definitely research suggestions posted here. Do you watch The Game of Thrones where there are all these "kingdoms" - that's sort of what it is like here (except we all, mostly, get along). You have the Gathered End (GE) kingdom and the Bridge Hammock (uses spreader bars) Kingdom. And you have the Ultralites (a.k.a. weightweenies) vs "In my day we added rocks to our packs to make the trip longer: etc.

Hahaha this made me smile

Thank you everyone for all the advice I'm definitely looking into all the information you've thrown my way

Curious as to your height, if weight is a big factor in your decision, you may be fine in a smaller hammock.
    I've been rocking in a DD Superlight, at 280g complete with an including whoopie suspension and tree huggers, it's tough to beat.
    But, anyone over 6' is probably going to feel cramped, especially if their used to a longer hammock ,11ft or longer.
    FWIW , I'm 6ft and have no issues whatsoever once I added my ridgeline and adjusted the sag to my preference.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

I am 5'4" just look at the tiny little things

I've been rocking in a DD Superlight, at 280g complete with an including whoopie suspension and tree huggers, it's tough to beat.

How long / how often have you been using this hammock I definitely like the weight

Thanks for all the advice I went with a WB MAMAJAMBA and we will see from there

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast