Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need a little help on a tarp

Hello everyone
    I am new to hammock backpacking
    (I don't even own the hammock yet). Weight is extremely important I have decided on a warbonnet blackbird (I will also take advice on my hammock choice).
    I am 5'4" 145lbs with back problems so sleeping in a tent is no longer an option for me.
    We have a generic gathered end hammock in our backyard I sleep better there than I do in our bed that's the reason I'm going to make the jump to a hammock instead of a tent.

Now I'm trying to decide on what tarp is going to be my best option, do you guys have an opinion. Thank you guys in advance for the help

I believe these are the best 2 lightweight options for coverage

Outdoor equipment supplier
    MacCat Standard SilPro 125"x84" 10.1 oz

Or

Warbonnet Edge
    20D 2000mm Silpoly: 10oz
    Ridgeline Length: 11’0”
    Width: 92”

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Hehehe.

First, welcome to the hang, from Florida.

Second, yes. Yes we do have an opinion. Several thousands of them...per person.

I personally like a full coverage tarp because I can close the doors for privacy or blowing rain from multiple directions here in Florida. When nice weather, I can open the doors and go into porch mode or close one side, etc.

Just my choice. I like options. But I also have to carry the weight and bulk.
    IMG_0322 copy.jpg IMG_0372 copy.jpg IMG_0153 copy.jpg IMG_0154 copy.jpg IMG_0319 copy.jpg

For a supplier, I like the Hanger Tarps from undergroundquilts.com. Paul and Missy are top notch folks and can help you with your order.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It depends on if you want to buy a second tarp later on. Though price and weight are about about double (can you handle and extra 10 oz), I'd consider the WarBonnet SuperFly.
    Here's why: You may find that you prefer a bridge hammock to a gathered end hammock. The SuperFly is large enough for both. Usually women want a little more privacy and may need things a little warmer. The SuperFly has "doors" on the ends that can be closed - blocking wind and visual access from the end of the tarp. For "full disclosure", I am a large tarp advocate. I once hike the PCT though Oregon with only a bivi bag - no tarp. I found that when it was raining, I was either laying down in the bivi bag or out in the elements. A small tarp can be almost the same. That is, it will cover your hammock and keep you dry there. But you might like to be out of your hammock and still have some space out of the rain.

The BlackBird is a great choice and at your height/weight you can use the lighter fabric options. If either that hammock or the SuperFly doesn't work out for you, either will sell quickly for a far price in the For Sale forum.

I think the only way to really make my point is for you to actually be out in the rain. Maybe you can find a bed sheet or table cloth (plastic - cheap picnic style) about the size of the smaller tarps. Then you could set it up in the rain (which might have some blowing wind) and see how much it covers. Note that I am not saying you should camp under it - just use it as a footprint (sky print?) to see how much area it covers.

The Edge and the WBBB isn't a bad combination - I just like more coverage.

I like the idea of more coverage/ privacy, but I'm really concerned about weight. The table cloth shower curtain idea is really ingenious thank you that would definitely help give me a visual

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Hehehe.

First, welcome to the hang, from Florida.

Second, yes. Yes we do have an opinion. Several thousands of them...per person.

I personally like a full coverage tarp because I can close the doors for privacy or blowing rain from multiple directions here in Florida. When nice weather, I can open the doors and go into porch mode or close one side, etc.

Just my choice. I like options. But I also have to carry the weight and bulk.
    IMG_0322 copy.jpg IMG_0372 copy.jpg IMG_0153 copy.jpg IMG_0154 copy.jpg IMG_0319 copy.jpg

For a supplier, I like the Hanger Tarps from undergroundquilts.com. Paul and Missy are top notch folks and can help you with your order.
    Nice set up one day I will get there

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xxjljoyce View Post
    Outdoor equipment supplier
    MacCat Standard SilPro 125"x84" 10.1 oz
    I'd be very hesitant to buy from OES - they're the only vendor with a "caveat emptor" sticky.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...uying-from-OES

If you do a little more research I think you'll be concerned.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Edge is nice but if you only want to have one tarp, I would get the Superfly (I did) It offers a lot more options for the 8 oz. of extra weight. Still half the weight of the lightest tents unless you go Cuben. When I needed the extra weight savings for AT hiking, I saved up for a CF tarp with doors.

The guys at Warbonnet are great to work with in my experience.

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Hex 11ft 6in
    Insulation
    HG Inc UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dyn Strp, Cnch Bgs
    I think you'd be fine with the Edge, especially with a 10' hammock. If you haven't already, check out the reviews for it on the Warbonnet Blackbird page.

For an excellent hammock (and given that weight is important), consider also the Dream Darien. Mine is 11' and 62" wide in the 1.6 HyperD and is only 17 oz (not counting straps, hooks or whoopies etc).

Thank you I will lookin to it

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Idk what the budget is but a cuben fiber tarp is as light as they get avaible with doors
    In the shadows

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast