Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

Light and compressible hammock pillow?

The only one I found suitable until now was an inflatable one, 30 x 40 cm, 2.5 oz. Sadly it is not very reliable, it tends to be damaged and puncture when compressed in the backpack.

http://www.ukmcpro.co.uk/CAO-Camping.../p/4/5/565437/

Do you know of any light (less than 3 oz), compressible, and reliable hammock pillow ? Ideally with an attachment point for a small shock cord that I could link to the head end so that it doesn't slide down when moving in the hammock.

I know HG sells some down ones, but I am not sure how compressible they are compared to an inflatable one. Also, what I find very valuable with inflatable ones is that you can choose to inflate them more or less (depending if you want to sleep, or read, or watch the scenery, for example)
    Last edited by Rouskof; 02-27-2017 at 04:58.

I just use the Teton sports comfortlite self inflating pillow. I had this for tent camping but just kept using it. works fine for me and stays in place pretty well while you are in your hammock.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RPguitarman View Post
    I just use the Teton sports comfortlite self inflating pillow. I had this for tent camping but just kept using it. works fine for me and stays in place pretty well while you are in your hammock.
    I am sure it is comfortable and reliable, but very heavy: 12 oz for a pillow !

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I use these: http://www.litesmith.com/flexair-inflatable-pillows/ -the small size.

They only weigh about half an ounce and are very comfortable for me when inflated about half-way.

You would have to figure out how to attach it to your head end, I don't have a problem with it just being loose, personally. Also, you need to carry a straw about 6" long to inflate it. I'm working on how to incorporate that into my gear set-up.

I have used it several nights so far and really like it. I have not taken it backpacking yet, so can't really attest to its durability. For the weight and cost though, you could take two and have one as a backup for a very slight weight/space penalty.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I have one of HG pillows and love it. I think it compresses well
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Chameleon / HH with 2qzq mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly/ZqDoors
    Insulation
    LL Reaper / GP
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Loco Libre has a 3 Oz Down Pillow with shock cord and mini carabiner already on it
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. - Plato

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sea to summit Zeros. Inflatable, small, easily adjustable (light tap on deflater for perfect snuggliness) and after 3+ years of heavy use zero issues and still looks new.

Its been blown out of hammocks into thorns, squished, etc. No problem so far. It goes from fully inflated back into its case in 15 seconds and it does so easily! You don't spend 10mins fighting to get it back in.
    Another way to put it, 9 people have tried mine and now 9+ their friends have them. I ought to get commissioned! Lol
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just curious on the down pillows: down compresses under any weight so how does that work for a pillow unless you are stuffing the bejeebies out of it?
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    Just curious on the down pillows: down compresses under any weight so how does that work for a pillow unless you are stuffing the bejeebies out of it?
    I have a diy down pillow that comes with me on almost all of my trips and is my favorite pillow so far. However, like you mention, it is very well stuffed. I tried 2.5oz of 800 fp down and it just didn't have enough support. Added some additional to make it 3.5oz and it's great. I almost feel like pillows would be the best use of lower fp down, that doesn't compress as well.

I also have made a number of climashield pillows and have comfortably used them.

Although I haven't tried many inflatables, I wasn't fond of any that I borrowed and tried to use.

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    I have a Kylmit Cush https://www.klymit.com/cush-seat.html At 2.89 oz, it is light and rolls up very small. I have actually just started keeping it inside the bag attached to my hammock and it stuffs right into my hammock stuff sack. I also like the fact that it is long, so you can single, double, and even triple it up. Lastly, you mentioned hanging it. I loop a little shock cord around the valve and it stays on the end of my hammock and I can just turn it when I lay down since it hangs vertically. I have been using it for tent and hammock camping, as well as padding for extra long kayak trips for over 4 years with no complaints. Good luck in your search.
    Tree Rhino
    YouTube Channel-------------Website
    Twitter------Instagram------Facebook
    not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast