Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this the problem with a "cheaper" brand of hammock?

I received a "Castaway" Brand of gathered end hammock for Christmas. I think it was sold at Sam's Club. Full disclosure: I've never camped in the great outdoors using a hammock - just my back yard for a couple of nights.

When laying in this hammock the upper 6 inches or so are loose and floppy - REALLY loose and floppy. That section is an sewn add-on of a different color from the rest of the hammock. I'd describe it almost as the walls of the tub of the hammock. They flop around while the rest of the hammock as I lay in it is tight. Looking at videos and pictures on the internet I don't notice such loose material around the top edge.

Is what I'm describing a problem with cheaper, mass-produced hammocks?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Many people use a "Knotty-mod" to tighten up the floppy edge of their hammock. It has never really bothered me, but I have noticed a pretty floppy edge on my ENO Doublenest. I think the wider hammocks will have more "flop" if that makes sense.

It's an easy and inexpensive fix, you can find how to DIY it in the DIY section of this forum in the "sticky" posts.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    If you were to re-gather and re-whip the ends, you might try pulling the outside edges an inch or two further than the rest. I've done this on a couple of "cheaper" hammocks and it has definitely helped that floppy edge.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Images
    If you have excess material in the edges, you could try sleeping on more of an angle to make use of that material, thereby making not floppy.
    If you struggle to get on more of a diagonal, you can try shortening your SRL. That will give you more sag and make the diagonal easier.
    If your hammock does not have a SRL then increasing the angle of your suspension does the same thing..Just lengthen your suspension lines, so you have more hammock sag (you may then have to put your treestraps higher up the tree you give you a nice sit height).

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    +1 on Gadget's suggestion of moving to a more diagonal lay. [and the suggestion that you add the "knotty mod"... it wouldn't take 10 minutes]
    It is also just possible that the one you got is actually a "double"... My first ENO was a double, and the extra width meant that those side panels could slap you right in the face.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    +1 on Gadget's suggestion of moving to a more diagonal lay. [and the suggestion that you add the "knotty mod"... it wouldn't take 10 minutes]
    It is also just possible that the one you got is actually a "double"... My first ENO was a double, and the extra width meant that those side panels could slap you right in the face.
    Yep it is a double. I have been laying on a diagonal but I'll increase the angle to see if it helps. Slapping me in the face is exactly what is happening.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    PA-7002-LIFESTYLE.jpg

Is this what it looks like? A knotty mod would probably help, although I can't confirm that as I have no hands-on experience with it. Just my hypothesis.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    My first hammock was the one Costco was selling, a Chillax 9ft double hammock, and I had the same issues with the floppy sides. I added the 'knotty-mod' on both ends, and it tightened that flop right up. Easy fix too.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Thanks, that looks like the answer and I for some reason didn't find that thread in my search!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast