Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm giving up trying to use a sleeping bag!

Maybe I'm just too fat or not flexible enough to make it work but I've tried and tried to use a sleeping bag in my hammock. I've tried laying the bag in the hammock and getting into it that way - I've tried partially getting into the bag, pulling it up around myself and then getting into the hammock. Nothing seems to work. I can't get it under me correctly and no amount of wiggling, scooting, pulling, cussing I do helps. I've spent 10 minutes wrestling around and I'm pooped and still can't get the bag adjusted correctly, not even closely adjusted correctly.

So I know I probably need to buy a TQ. But I'm a bit cheap and TQ aren't so I'm thinking about a modification on one of my sleeping bags. It's a Big Agnes 30' with the pad sleeve on the bottom. No insulation at all on the bottom. My plan is to remove the nylon on the bottom that makes up to pad sleeve, leaving the bottom 24 inches to form a foot box of sorts. I'll leave it zipped up and also the head and hood area intact underneath. I'll tuck the sides in underneath me like a TQ.

Has anyone done something like this before? Any comments or suggests BEFORE I take scissors to my bag?

Hammock
    Warbonnet xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I used a big agnus & pad last year. You pretty much have to have the bag unzipped 3/4 of the way so you can plant your butt in there where it's going to be, then pivot in and zip up. If you try to wriggle in the way you can on the ground, everything gets jacked up. I figured out that I may as well get out and start over because wrestling around with the stuff while in the hammock just made things worse. If everything was set up right it would be real comfortable, and I stayed warm enough into the 20s, but I bought an underquilt & topquilt for this year( backpacking starting tomorrow).

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Don't try to get in the sleeping bag..just zip the bag a little bit for a foot box then use the bag as/like a blanket tucking the sides around you. A proper TQ just has less material bunching up but is same principal
    Now I hope you have proper bottom insulation and not relying on the bag.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this for some insight....
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

If I was to use a sleeping bag as Shug's video suggests (I actually did watch it before I started this thread - I enjoy your video's BTW) or the suggestion of bkrgi - I'd have to use a bag other than the Big Agnes one as it has no insulation on the bottom so if I used it as a quilt with the zipper open and the bag spread open, half of the "quilt' , consisting of the formerly bottom side would not have any insulation to keep me warm.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry-QDCC View Post
    If I was to use a sleeping bag as Shug's video suggests (I actually did watch it before I started this thread - I enjoy your video's BTW) or the suggestion of bkrgi - I'd have to use a bag other than the Big Agnes one as it has no insulation on the bottom so if I used it as a quilt with the zipper open and the bag spread open, half of the "quilt' , consisting of the formerly bottom side would not have any insulation to keep me warm.
    Well then...time for a TQ!
    If you love hammocks you'll love a TQ.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Seems as though the problem is the lack of an under quilt. Trying to get insulation both underneath and over you from the same sleeping bag/top quilt or whatever just isn't going to work well. At the very least you need a pad, but I found those to be difficult as well because I simply toss and turn too much when I sleep.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I can understand the the concept of using a sleeping bag as a TQ can be challenging for some. If you have the gumption, or lack the finances to spring for a TQ, I'd suggest studying the forum and videos and eventually you may get the hang of it. Personally some, myself included, like the additional versatility of a sleeping bag. Plus, when you find yourself in a CBS situation where it is either figure out how to properly negotiate zipping up a sleeping bag or suffer, it may go a long way toward a proper schooling. CBS can be as savage as a nun with a ruler.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good choice as the top quilts are so light and roomy you'll wonder why you didn't jettison that sleeping bag earlier. Now harvest the down from the bag and make yourself a nice roomy quilt.

I think I threw too much info out on my starting post in regards to having problems with getting into my sleeping bag. It is what it is, whatever the reason.

I'm more interested in finding out if "cutting" out the bottom of my Big Agnes sleeping bag (cutting out the pad sleeve part that has no insulation anyway) and using the zipped up top of the bag, that has the insulation in it, as a TQ has been done by anyone before.

In my head, I think it will work. If no one has ever done it I'll start considering myself a "Hammock Pioneer"!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast