Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    it's just the wrinkles right? Caused by a difference of tension across different portions of the fabric. One that extends from each side of the buttocks towards the gather. The shape and angle of the mass that the fabric is supporting, and the tension of the fabric itself will all determine the way the wrinkles manifest. I find if I hang the hammock looser, then I get less ridge, so I would say if you have a ridge, then you're hanging too tight.

But when I have it, for whatever reason, I use that ridge: The other side of the ridge, the side away from the hammock's center is looser than the side where your butt is supported, so I put my feet in that pocket that the ridge makes and rotate my lay angle such that the ridge intersects my leg at a place where I'm supported properly, and then am comfortable.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've experienced calf ridge with the HH Expedition Asym Zip, the WBBB, and the Byer Moskito Hammock - all have integrated bugnets.
    Those are all 10-foot hammocks. If you're used to 11-foot netless hammocks, the short length is probably as least as likely to be the cause of calf ridge as the net, unless you are super short.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Those are all 10-foot hammocks. If you're used to 11-foot netless hammocks, the short length is probably as least as likely to be the cause of calf ridge as the net, unless you are super short.
    You might be right, though I rarely hear of calf ridge with simple, gathered-end hammocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I use a 11-foot gathered end and I notice a calf ridge when my hang angles are off. Last time I noticed it, my ridgeline was like a guitar string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rick...

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Tree
    I have never experienced calf ridge, but my sister had it in her 1.7 double layer Blackbird XLC. She had never experienced it in her ENO Junglenest. Not sure what the difference in fabric or hammock length is... She also may have slid too far towards the foot end in the XLC since I don't think it was hung with the head much lower than the foot end. She's only slept out one weekend in the XLC compared to several trips with the Junglenest. Can't wait for your video, Shug!

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    it's just the wrinkles right? Caused by a difference of tension across different portions of the fabric. One that extends from each side of the buttocks towards the gather. The shape and angle of the mass that the fabric is supporting, and the tension of the fabric itself will all determine the way the wrinkles manifest. I find if I hang the hammock looser, then I get less ridge, so I would say if you have a ridge, then you're hanging too tight.

But when I have it, for whatever reason, I use that ridge: The other side of the ridge, the side away from the hammock's center is looser than the side where your butt is supported, so I put my feet in that pocket that the ridge makes and rotate my lay angle such that the ridge intersects my leg at a place where I'm supported properly, and then am comfortable.

I believe (not 100%) it is due to the center line of force created by a gathered end whith two hang points. A bridge hammock, for instance, takes this force and spreads it along the suspension triangle and through the side cat cut suspension.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Calf Ridge...more or less in Double Layered Hammock?

I have a single layer 12x6 hammock made with hexonwide 1.6. Very comfortable. Made by Marty at WildernessLogics. Little or no calf ridge.
    My old double layer NightOwl 11x5 by WildernessLogics had some calfridge from time to time--but there was a sweet spot with no ridge.
    With 12x6 calf ridge not noticeable-larger sweet spot. The 12x6 is not for everybody--as it has more grams and takes up more pack volume--and requires a larger bug net a foot longer and a foot bigger around. Then there is the need for a larger tarp--I could have used a 12 foot ridge line but choose a tarp 13ridgeline by 12wide.
    So there you go--you pays your money and takes your choice!
    Hutzlbien (hope I spelled your handle right) has said that heavier stiffer fabrics have less calf ridge than lighter thinner fabrics. I think this is from Hutzlbien's experience with a variety of hammocks and fabrics. Hutzlbien said some of calf ridge was made worse by sinking into stretchy fabric-making calf ridge more pronounced. Good luck calf ridge is right up there with CBS cold butt syndrome in stealing sleep!

Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 02-26-2017 at 18:03.

Images
    I have only owned one hammock with calfridge. It was my first expensive hammock the 10' 1.1 double layer wbbb.
    I found if I slept on my left side I could get my leg off the tight fabric running down the center of the hammock.
    None of my current hammocks, all single layer 1.6, 1.7, & 1.9 have calfridge but that might be because I have learned a lot about hanging them properly.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-26-2017 at 19:55.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Making a few different fabric ones, the heavier the fabric the more calf ridge but due to less stretch not weight.

Also there is a link with ridge line length and width and calf ridge not quite worked out out yet.

If your ridge line is too long and your angle is shallow and suspension is to tight then you get calf ridge.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    There a lot of supposition at work here... Probably should come up with a rig that lets you experiment with the variables with an actual person in the hammock so you can watch what causes the calf ridge to form while the person is still on it. Maybe the mannequin you used in that other video if it's weighted like a person and has the same joint articulation and center of gravity in the hips

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast