My 30 sec review of UQ. Do I understand it correctly?

I have been reading about UQ, long time camper, first time hanger while camping
    I slept on a hammock through college, but I lined it with 3 sheep skins to keep warm with a yak blanket i got from China. (it was like sleeping in a fuzzy cloud)

So i'm looking to go camping while hiking. But I want to make sure I understand UQ correctly.

1. the choice is an UQ or sleeping pad. Sleeping pads are cheaper/lighter but UQ are warmer/more comfortable

2. UQ come in 3/4 or full length. Full length is needed for 4 season, but many/most use 3/4 length for spring/summer/fall - Temps above 40F

3. a 20F under quilt "can" be used in any temp by putting more space between UQ and hammock. but it is more comfortable in 50F nights to have a 30f or 40F rated UQ

4. Extension of #3, if I can only afford 1 UQ, get the lowest rating I can afford as it makes it the most versatile.

5. A 40F full length UQ is more or less as warm as a 30F 3/4 UQ for temps 30F-60F at night?

Are these summary points about UQ true/false/or i missed something?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chatfouz View Post
    I have been reading about UQ, long time camper, first time hanger while camping
    I slept on a hammock through college, but I lined it with 3 sheep skins to keep warm with a yak blanket i got from China. (it was like sleeping in a fuzzy cloud)

So i'm looking to go camping while hiking. But I want to make sure I understand UQ correctly.

1. the choice is an UQ or sleeping pad. Sleeping pads are cheaper/lighter but UQ are warmer/more comfortable
    Yes pads are a less expensive option and sometimes you get condensation depending on the type of pad used.

2. UQ come in 3/4 or full length. Full length is needed for 4 season, but many/most use 3/4 length for spring/summer/fall - Temps above 40F
    Full Length is not needed as a 4 season but many like that option.

3. a 20F under quilt "can" be used in any temp by putting more space between UQ and hammock. but it is more comfortable in 50F nights to have a 30f or 40F rated UQ
    Yes...they can be pulled to the side or slid up toward head to create a gap.

4. Extension of #3, if I can only afford 1 UQ, get the lowest rating I can afford as it makes it the most versatile.
    I think depending on where you live a 20º is a real good option for just one UQ.

5. A 40F full length UQ is more or less as warm as a 30F 3/4 UQ for temps 30F-60F at night?
    I don't agree with this one.

Are these summary points about UQ true/false/or i missed something?
    Here is my UQ intel.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    1. I would say the pads are generally heavier, and do not pack down as small. comfort is subjective

2 yup, 100%

3, you want the UQ to be rated to lower temps than you intend to use it (in general, everyone's diff't, etc )

4. a 20 degree UQ seems to be the defacto standard if you can only really afford 1. you can always insert a cheap down throw between the UQ and hammock to boost it

5. no, not really? 30 degree will be warmer

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I guess everyone is different, but I have had my partial length, 20 degree-rated underquilt down to the lower 20s and been warm and toasty. I actually think it fits my hammock a little better than full length, with less opportunity for gaps, but I am still fine tuning my adjustments, so that might not hold true forever.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

• + New Posts