Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Ha! Great picture!

Right after I asked the question about socks, it was mentioned in one of the Team ZPacks vids and, as it turns out, I have a few pairs of the WigWam socks that were suggested. And I love them.

I'll check out the trip reports as I am still coming up short on mention of hammocks in the vids I've been watching.

I spent the day in West Palm Beach yesterday. I was in a suit and tie most of the day, as it was final round of interviewing for the position that potentially will have me down in Florida. The weather was spectacular. I did make it to the ocean, but was at a loss for where to go to see some trails. Next time...

So here is serious question.. You're knee deep in murky water. How do you manage the alligator threat? I mean.. I stopped at a 7-11 for a beverage, in the middle of West Palm Beach, and right there in the swampy water between the 7-11, Dunkin Donuts and the car wash was a future piece of luggage... just hanging there with only it's eyes and nose up out of the water. How high is the alligator threat when you're in water like you've pictured??
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Take my word for it, that water was cold! Seriously doubt that any gator would have been very active under those conditions. Actually most wild gators have a healthy fear of man. The problems arise when someone thinks it fun feeding them. At that point they associate man with food which normally turns out bad for the gator. Back in my youth during the 60s, gators were protected but it wasn't unusual to have gator a couple of times a year. Most were taken out of swimming holes that we kids spent most of our summers days cooling off in. Even though there are an estimated 1.25 million gators in Florida. Between 2007 and 2015 there have only been 2 fatalities and 84 bites.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Gators? A threat?

We treat them like Coral, CopperHeads, CottonMouths, Rattler snakes and Black Widows, Wolf spiders and Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Sinkholes, Lightning...oh the lightning.
    Dead standing trees, hypodermic needles, Sharks, wild Boar, Florida Panthers, Black Bears, and Jellyfish don't bother us neither.

We're Floridians....Here, hold my beer...Watch this.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There is one Gator for every 17 residents of Florida. We've learned to live with each other.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Gators? A threat?

We treat them like Coral, CopperHeads, CottonMouths, Rattler snakes and Black Widows, Wolf spiders and Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Sinkholes, Lightning...oh the lightning.
    Dead standing trees, hypodermic needles, Sharks, wild Boar, Florida Panthers, Black Bears, and Jellyfish don't bother us neither.

I take exception with one of your listings Fh. Wolf spiders are your friend. My hand and my friend.

I think I might have heard that Quote on the last hang. Here... beer... watch.

Was the 'coral' in reference to Fire Coral or Coral Snake?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Take my word for it, that water was cold! Seriously doubt that any gator would have been very active under those conditions. Actually most wild gators have a healthy fear of man. The problems arise when someone thinks it fun feeding them. At that point they associate man with food which normally turns out bad for the gator. Back in my youth during the 60s, gators were protected but it wasn't unusual to have gator a couple of times a year. Most were taken out of swimming holes that we kids spent most of our summers days cooling off in. Even though there are an estimated 1.25 million gators in Florida. Between 2007 and 2015 there have only been 2 fatalities and 84 bites.
    So those statistics ease my concerns a bit.. Just drawing parallels to trekking in the NE. Black bears are pretty common, but not a big threat unless you're feeding them or left your half eaten granola bar in your pocket overnight.

Safe to say, you forge your way through the murky water without worry?

Gators? A threat?

LOL... try traveling through the New York City subway!!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    There is one Gator for every 17 residents of Florida. We've learned to live with each other.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Another good statistic!

I take exception with one of your listings Fh. Wolf spiders are your friend. My hand and my friend.

Okay, so that's nuts.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images

Ha. We know this about Wolf spiders and "Banana" spiders(Golden silk orb weaver), but they scare the stink out of Northerners and act, look like they will eat your face off.

Good point on the "coral". I meant the Coral Snake, but could include Fire Coral if camping and diving. And don't forget Lionfish, eels, and multiple types of sharks and stingrays, riptides, Man-Of-War jellyfish, etc. Now I want some Seafood for lunch.

Hammock
    Wbbb XLC dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Kaq UQ / UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    The Florida creatures are a must to learn more about. You can see so many varieties and sizes in one trek just as much as habitats from mile to mile.

And when you're finished hiking, you get yourself a kayak and start a completely different adventure in kayak hammock camping.
    Florida hanger I have a lot of problems with my feet that is preventing me from hiking the way I used to I would really love to learn more about the kayak Hammock camping

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 57koop View Post
    Florida hanger I have a lot of problems with my feet that is preventing me from hiking the way I used to I would really love to learn more about the kayak Hammock camping
    Check out YouTube for SailingandSuch. He's also a member here.

Here is a good video of his.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    hammock gear cuban
    Insulation
    HG econ 20 & 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Banana spiders as exercise motivation.

I lived in Florida in the late 60s early 70s. I've walked into a Banana spider web, in the dark (teenage nocturnal excursions, generally up to no good). I got a weeks worth of aerobic exercise in about thirty seconds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast