Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I want to perhaps later make a similar such UQ for my DIY bridge. Thankfully it will be a freaking rectangle and require far less differential I assume.
    I believe that the whole story is much easier with a Brdige hammock. Actually, there is no need for any design as complex as a Wooki. This primarily solves the air hole problems caused by the complex curves of a gathered end hammock. At Bridges, I think a rectangular piece of fabric with insulation layer attached underneath is just fine. Maybe a few darts to raise the quilt in the foot area, and it's good.

Reviving this thread to see if I can get some insights before I start sewing.

I intend to make a DIY Snooki (I believe that's a Synthetic Wooki) for winter camping. I find that in the late fall/winter I'm setting up in the dark and I'm more likely to screw up my hang and end up with my left side cold at about 2am. The goal here is to have a quilt with significantly broader coverage that is more resistant to user error I love my Wooki, but it is very sensitive to a proper hang.

So... I'm trying to aggregate the information from a few threads, so bear with me.

For an XLC, what is the 'hammock' size? Is it the 59'' x 141" listed at the beginning of this thread? That's 11'9, which sound about right. Does that mean that I have 9" to play with on either end for the channel, etc? From end to end, it should be 11', yes?

For a Climashield type insulation, I don't think I need to baffle like the down quilts, correct?

For the placement of the insulation, I am considering using the box sides like Jellyfish made in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQVLGdTxHs. Can I just build a box the size of the loft, or do I need to worry about differentials?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I can answer one question: No, you do not need baffles!

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Sorry I'm late for answering. I've rarely been to the forum lately.

Quote Originally Posted by fbl100 View Post
    For an XLC, what is the 'hammock' size? Is it the 59'' x 141" listed at the beginning of this thread? That's 11'9, which sound about right. Does that mean that I have 9" to play with on either end for the channel, etc? From end to end, it should be 11', yes?
    That's right. In the beginning, I made the fabric much longer than necessary so that I had enough reserves to try it out. When I was satisfied, I shortened the piece to the right length.

For a Climashield type insulation, I don't think I need to baffle like the down quilts, correct?
    Can I just build a box the size of the loft, or do I need to worry about differentials?
    You don't need baffles and usually also no differential. But if you want the insulation to be >3 inches or so, then I'd make a box with a differential cut.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Half-zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Nice work, something like this is on my list

So much useful info here. Just wanted to shout out my thanks!
    I'm more of a lurker here... have gotten some great info for diy projects.
    I promise I'll make an effort to post some of it soon... Inshallah!

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by echinotrix View Post
    Thank you for explaining, PharmGeek.

It is very interesting to see how different people's approaches are. I had IT help:

First I traced the dimensions of the original Wooki in Inkscape. Then I added an additional chamber, determined the area of each chamber (a feature to do this is available in the program) and calculated the area share in percentages of each chamber.

Attachment 157817

With regard to the total amount of down, I did it like you and took a look at on the data of Warbonnet (10 ounces in the 3-season Wooki). To find out how much more down I need because of the extra chamber, I just looked at how much larger the area of my wokie is compared to the original (+15%), so I chose 11.5 ounces of down. I then spread the down among the chambers according to the respective area proportions.
    I have chosen the height of the chambers as usual for most commercial 3-season underquilts.

Maybe like this: Lie down in the hammock and let a second person pierce through the insulation to the skin (but not further ) with a very thin wire (<0.1 mm). Mark the penetration depth on the wire, then simply measure it.

The difficulty is to find a wire that is so thin that the fabric is not damaged. But should be possible.
    long narrow gauged upholstery needle should do the trick. just be careful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    long narrow gauged upholstery needle should do the trick. just be careful
    You can measure from the floor up to the properly suspended lofted quilt - then press the end of the tape measure up to the persons back (compressing the down/ insulation) and measure to the floor. the difference between is the loft and you won't have to worry about getting stabed .

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    You can measure from the floor up to the properly suspended lofted quilt - then press the end of the tape measure up to the persons back (compressing the down/ insulation) and measure to the floor. the difference between is the loft and you won't have to worry about getting stabed .
    Smart fellas are good to have around

Us Fart smellers now.....

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Smart fellas are good to have around

Us Fart smellers now.....

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Your welcome GW

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast