Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Now that I have an UQ - where do I put everything?

So I went on an overnight yesterday because it was 75* with lows in the high 50's (in February! In Maryland!) on my second ever trip. I made some adjustments to my first setup (whoopies on my WBB and stingerz on my tarp) and they worked out nicely. Another difference between this trip and my first one is instead of taking a pad (z-rest), I borrowed my friend's UQ (mine is on it's way). Previously, I was able to attach the z-rest to the outside and everything fit in my pack quite nicely. This time, I put the UQ in a compression sack (I tried leaving it loose, it was way too big) in my pack. I put it in the compression sack that I usually put my sleeping bag in, so I just stuffed my sleeping bag in throughout the empty spaces as I've read on this forum to do.

I brought everything along as I did the first time, except a lot less food. My first trip was 3.5 days worth of food and this time was 1 day's worth. And I could barely fit it all in my pack! Then I realized, duh, it's because I have this big old UQ in here, which is 1 more item more than I had the first time I went.

Something has got to give... I believe I've got to put something on the outside of my pack because there's room to do so, but I'm just not sure what? It feels too scary to put any of my down items out there. What do you guys do? Maybe I can put my tarp (superfly) in a side pocket like I've seen Shug do on one of his videos. Could my hammock get strapped to the outside, and if it does, should I put it in any kind of waterproof bag?

The UQ I borrowed from my friend is an UGQ 20* with 2 oz of over stuff. I'm getting the WB Wookie 20* with 1 oz of over stuff, so I think it will be a little bit smaller than the one I have in there... however, I'm in the market for a TQ as well and that will be a bit bigger than my current sleeping bag (which is 32*, I'll be getting a 20* TQ with some over stuff).

And I know I've read this before on another thread, but for those of you who don't use compression sacks, do you find that you are able to fit BOTH your UQ and TQ in your bag without them? Or do you just typically do 1? Also, I used a compactor bag inside my pack this time to try out... I found it kind of annoying, but maybe I'll get used to it. For those who use compactor bags, do you not carry a pack cover, essentially having the compactor bag to protect the inside contents? (Obviously it will get the bag wet, which will make it heavier, but maybe it's worth it to not carry the pack cover?).

I know this is a lot of questions... I appreciate the insight, experience, and thoughts. Thanks.

Oh, and if it matters - I'm using a Deuter 60 + 10 pack. I did not roll up the extra material for the 10l, I refuse to I feel like 60L is plenty for my gear. I do bring a few luxury items that go in my pack - a nook, a small charger, and a small journal that I keep in a dry sack. I use a jetboil for my cook set and a mizu mug that's pretty lightweight. My hammock is WBB, my tarp is a superfly. I packed a base layer to sleep in and a fleece for the evening. On the outside of my pack I have my crocs and I bought a camp chair. Maybe I could put my cooking stuff on the outside... do people do that?

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    I have managed to fit both my 10* TQ plus pad and pillow (about as much bulk and shape as an UQ in a dry bag) just fine in my ZPacks Arc Haul (42L main compartment). I don't use a compression sack but I do use a dry back and squish my quilt and force the air out. I will be doing the same with my UQ when it arrives soon and have no problem fitting all that in my pack with my normal gear...baselayer, down jacket, spare UW and socks, cook kit and food bag for 5 days plus my Duplex tent all inside. I have nothing on the outside except that which I need during the day. I did start out with my tent on the outside so you could easily put the tarp outside in the back pocket.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hard to believe you can't get a 20* UQ in a 60L pack. I've been on five-day trips with my 20* HG quilts and have plenty of room in a 50L GoLite Jam.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBO Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WBO Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest Prolite
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Now that I have an UQ - where do I put everything?

I don't think you're taking too much stuff; your gear seems reasonable. An alcohol stove and a single pot may save some space, but not that much. My suggestion would be to pack and re-pack with what you have until you find something suitable.

Compress your down and put it in the very bottom of your pack. Put your heaviest items close to your back. I would expect your pack to have plenty of room for your items. What food items are you packing?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I would probably try to put the bulkiest items that don't compress (or don't compress very well) on the outside. The cook kit and/or chair might be good candidates for an outside pocket on the pack. If that doesn't free up enough space in the main compartment, maybe then try putting your sleeping bag in a dry bag of some sort (either a legitimate dry bag or thick/durable trash bag), and strap that to the bottom or top of your pack on the outside. Not knowing exactly what your pack looks like or all the contents of it, that'd be my best advice at the moment.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have to "highly" compress my 20° top and bottom quilts and all other gear in my Gregory Baltoro 65L. With my 0° set I have to set on the backpack to fit these with my Warbonnet Ridgerunner.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Both quilts and hammock should fit in the bottom 1\3. I snake skin my tarp in a outside pocket. My packs 55 and not full full with full 3 season gear.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I can get both my 20 degree incubator (one oz extra down) and 15 degree burrow, all my cold weather clothes and hammock in my pack (45 liter) by using a heavy-duty trash bag. I just cram it in, push it all down really well, then start push all the air out of the bag, which further compresses everything and then twist the top of bag around several times and fold it over. This uses up every little bit of pack space with no gaps like a compression sack can do. Food goes in next along with other small gear. My tarp goes on the outside. I can do trips of 3 to 4 days this way in cold weather. In warmer weather, I use lighter/smaller quilts, less clothes and can do trips of 4 to 6 days.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'd consider what can get wet and what can't. For example, you could carry your rain fly roll up on the outside or in an outside pocket. In fact, you'd want to if it was wet. I have a few pack rain covers but honestly, can't remember when I've used them - then again, I live in high desert country of Bend OR, not Seattle. I am amazed at how much weight the rain cover adds. If I know something like that was needed, I think I'd use a lighter plastic bag. In other words, instead of putting a cover on the outside, you can line the inside with a large "trash" bag - much lighter.

Also, I believe your stove is much larger than it needs to be to get the job done. Compare this (11,75 oz.):
    https://www.rei.com/product/791308/j...cooking-system

to this (3 oz.):
    https://www.rei.com/product/660163/m...kpacking-stove

[warning: Titanium cookware might be in fashion but it can have a downside (in addition to cost). I've found it very slippery and once had to boil water three times because the first two times, the pot, once boiling and vibrating slightly, would slid off the top of the, not perfectly level, stove.]

I've read about putting down goods inside, unstuffed so it fills up space. But it is also subject to possible snagging and tearing on other pack contents. The compression sack is a mixed blessing. It might compact smaller than a stuff sack, but it is heavier because of the compression straps. And the stuff sack itself may compress enough with "encouragement" from the other items in the pack. One downside to the Z-rest - in the olden days, when we rolled the CF pad and attached it to the top of bottom of the pack, there was an opportunity to roll something light inside. The additional bulk of the pad roll wasn't that much more and it did live on the outside of your pack.

The one item you might leave at home is the camp chair - you can use your hammock for that (they are not just for sleeping). When I have space (Kayak Camping), I often bring a small, 5 ft., DIY gear hammock (waterproof ripstop nylon cover flap). As things come out the pack or dry bags, they go into the gear hammock. It's such a pleasure not to be being over, digging through the pack when I need them them a second time.

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    I have a Z-Packs Arc Haul Zip, which is 64 liters in total. I mainly use the large compartment, with small items such as my first aid kit in the outer pocket. I have, though, switched the use of my side pockets. I now use the thin smart water bottles, and I can now fit both on one side. In the other bottle pocket, I now put my tarp and stakes in a snake skin, so I can get them deployed quickly. I also put my entire cookset in the higher side pocket. This is often the most awkwardly shaped item, since I take my cast iron skillet with me often, which has an odd handle sticking out. Long story short, in the 49 liter main pocket, with my tarp and cookset on the outside, I can fit all my stuff, along with an EE Convert, extra long and extra wide, my Eno ember underquilt, and my yukon outfitters topquilt with room to spare. I only compress the Convert since it is so big. Here is a link to the video of my packload. Video
    Tree Rhino
    YouTube Channel-------------Website
    Twitter------Instagram------Facebook
    not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast